Nintendo Wants Its Cut

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Nintendo Wants Its Cut

Can someone call Nintendo for me? We've been out of touch for a few years, and I've lost Nintendo's number.

Read Full Article

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
I love how we persist in believing that publishers (and the odd developer) actually even realise that we, as gamers, exist.

Surely, surely, we've realised that they think we're just ambulatory wallets-of-plenty with no purpose in "life" other than absorbing whatever dross they spew forth while simultaneously shovelling mountains of dosh their way.

No? Really? Oh well... enjoy your next Nintendo/EA/Ubisoft/etc title, I guess.

[edit] Apparently I'm supposed to say "First" or something. This is some sort of law, I suppose. [/edit]

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Cannot agree more.

It seems that most japanese based developers/publishers over the last years have tried nothing but being the best at shooting themselves in the foot and alienating the western market as much as possible.

It is as if they want to compete at all costs with EA and the other big western publishers for "stupidest ideas ever"

The difference is that the "western" market is moch more stronger and involves alot more money then the japanese market will ever give.. even if you count other asian countries in the west is still the biggest video game market. Yet asian based developers try everything to alienate a potential gigantic market.

D-Mc-G

Nov 17, 2009
Extremely well summed up Shamus, let's hope the Let's Players follow through on a non-nintendo policy across the board. Maybe the company will realize what an asinine mistake they made.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
Bad move, Nintendo, bad, bad move. I'm an avid LP viewer and I see the huge difference in quality between sunday-posters and the dedicated people who are making a living from it. Even "freebies" can post incredible things, but they will not stick to it, which is a shame.

But of course, this won't affect just LPers, it will also affect game reviewers and machinima makers. The latter have it the hardest, as a machinimma is really hard to make properly. I encourage you to watch Glowing Amraam's videos on Youtube. His "Edge - DCS: Black Shark Movie" and Project 10 - DCS: A-10C Movie" are better than any plane movie I've ever seen. He's one of the most talented flight sim machinima creators. Also watch "The Adventures of Bill and John: Ep II", 6 years old but still probably the funniest machinima ever made. Those movie alone helped the respective company sell a LOT of boxes, but without the creators making any money. If they had... imagine the epic goodies we'd see on Youtube.

So yeah, money matters. And Nintendo trying to milk this market is... worse than anything that even EA could ever think. This coming from the family friendly Mario creators just adds salt to an ugly wound.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Also i guess we wont see any college humor with nintendo chars anymore. Since they could claim ownership of that too.. afterall those are their characters right?

This irks me anyways... how can they claim total ownership when part of the video... mainly the commentary is infact owned by the creator of said video.

But this is youtube after getting bought up by google for you i guess...

Apr 28, 2008
Imagine what would happen if Microsoft did this when Red vs. Blue was just getting started. No way Halo would have gotten that well known.

Of course, they did actually do this a few years ago. Notice how Halo is no longer the big one in terms of lets-plays and videos, with the title going to Call of Duty.

Bad move, Nintendo. You will not benefit from this in the least.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Nintendo is being stupid and I'm not sure what to think of it.

However taking a reeeeeaaaalllly long term optimist view, maybe Nintendo will go out of business sell it's assets including the Poke'mon franchise and we can get some decent Poke'mon games on something other than the latest Gameboy.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
While I don't have a clue whose in the legal right here, and certainly don't have any copyright law knowledge to hazard a guess much less judge this grey area, Nintendo has indeed done more damage to themselves than anybody with this move for one simple reason: their competitor's products are now superior to theirs in at least that aspect.

If they're trying to make money from this it's going to fail because no one's going to work for free for Nintendo when other companies are satisfied to leave them be, and if this is about defending copyright then (like all other attempts, legally justified or no) the best its going to achieve is killing coverage of their games outside major outlets. And while those major outlets certainly have their place, I know watching someone actually play a game is a lot better at selling it to me than more typical reviews are.

[edit] oh, and of course, legally right or not, financially right or not, it's always a risk to take any action that spurs this much contempt from the customers.

zaheela

Oct 8, 2010
I don't think we'll see anything noteworthy in this stage, or at least loud enough to get the point across.

Thanks to its reputation within the general (not gamer) public of their first party games mostly being child friendly/centric, I don't think Nintendo will suffer as bad from the backlash of LPer's not doing videos on their games. Parents (at least the smart ones) know what keywords to focus on when buying for their kids. However, when a third party WiiU Exclusive or another large company (maybe EA or SE, though I doubt they are THAT stupid; Konami or Capcom however....) tries to copy Nintendo's brain fart, then we'll see how badly this move can affect their sales.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
You can't say "everyone knows exactly what happens in a Nintendo game" just because you know the general premise the series is based around. I play for gameplay *and* to "see how they turn out". Just a small gripe, though - the article as a whole was good, agreed with it all :)

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Advertisements will will, typo!!!

Thank me later. Though it is obvious that a cabal of aging Japanese men came together and in between getting their feeding tubes changed and their human skin masks grafted back on for a public appearance decided that they should probably profit of this Intornit thing the young people keep talking about.

5 minutes later they implemented it and their inbox exploded with angry letters, e-mails and semi-threatening youtube posts.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Nintendo, I'm not happy with you. You've joined the ranks of EA, Activision, and Square-Enix among others as being corporate douchebags and I always thought you were better than that. Not only that, but this is quite possibly one of the stupidest decisions you could possibly make. You're going to cut yourselves off from a wealth of free marketing and potential sales because you feel your copyrights are being infringed upon? Really?

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Who cares. Nintendo will eventually go the way of Sega anyway. They really don't understand how modern industry works. FFS all their consoles are region locked! And you've just noticed they're out of touch?

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
You know, this is kind of a low hanging fruit. Demanding monetary gain? What happened to the Nintendo flushed with Wii/DS/3DS cash? Have they made one too many missteps before WiiU started earning it back?

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
MisterM2402 said:
You can't say "everyone knows exactly what happens in a Nintendo game" just because you know the general premise the series is based around. I play for gameplay *and* to "see how they turn out". Just a small gripe, though - the article as a whole was good, agreed with it all :)
You better be careful, nintendo may charge you for using that avatar.

OT: I am generally a Nintendo fan and have been since I first got an NES, but this is the exact thing that can turn away a lifelong fan of their exclusive series. I mean i am one of the few people who bought a Wii-U already, mostly coz it has playbackability and i skipped the Wii. This little stunt of theirs has almost convinced me to do a LP video of me smashing it to hell.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Irridium said:
Imagine what would happen if Microsoft did this when Red vs. Blue was just getting started. No way Halo would have gotten that well known.

Of course, they did actually do this a few years ago. Notice how Halo is no longer the big one in terms of lets-plays and videos, with the title going to Call of Duty.

Bad move, Nintendo. You will not benefit from this in the least.
And officially Microsoft won't do that. I just watched the special live announcement of the new Xbox, Xbox One.

Like Sony, they are going to let people share gaming videos. With Xbox One, with every game, players will have the ability to view and record playbacks just like players have done with the last few Halo games, and then share them with their friends and the world.

------------------

Oh Nintendo, you are turning out to truly be one of the most clueless companies in the industry.

The sad part for me is that I was gathering up a large backlog of games off of E-Bay, mostly NES, SNES, and Gameboy games to possibly use in the future for my own youtube gaming channel, oh well, looks like I will have to find something else to do with the channel I'm planning.

Heck, I was even going to get a Wii U eventually along side one of the other consoles, but with what I watched with the latest reveal of Xbox One, all I have to say is....."Bye bye Nintendo, it's been nice knowing you while you were sane".