Nintendo Wins Another R4 Lawsuit

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
LeonLethality said:
666Chaos said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Ban the R4! When I found someone I didn't like had it at a party, he got smashed out of his face, so I took it (Yes he brought his DS to a party) and decided to do a magic show with it, wince now person wanted to be sawn in half.

How can they not win, anyway? They are illegally distributing MANY games at a fraction of the price.

Calumon: Wait, can't Nintendo find out where they were importing the chips from?
They were being sued for selling r4 chips which is about as retarded as sueing future shop because they sell black dvds. Both can be used for piracy but both also have perfectly legal and legitimate uses.

Honestly I think nintendo should fuck off with these retarded law suits. They arnt combating piracy they are pissing people off which makes them want to pirate more.
I'm sure the majority of people using R4 chips are using them for perfectly legitimate things right? I honestly don't see how stopping the distribution of R4 chips is going to make people want to pirate more.
It dose not matter as the ability to use for anything legal should override anythign it can do illegally since it use it illegally you are breaking other laws, so in a fair and balanced court the device is not the problem gaining and using the rom image is.

Jaker the Baker

Guild Warrior
Nov 9, 2009
This is a move from the company that makes the easiest console on the market to softmod :p
Not that anybody does it. They're all too busy playing with their 360's and PS3's to even PIRATE Wii games!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
psrdirector said:
Nimbus said:
Jack and Calumon said:
How can they not win, anyway? They are illegally distributing MANY games at a fraction of the price.
No, they can potentially be used to play pirated games on your DS. They can also be used to run perfectly legal homebrew software.
do those homebrew pay licencing fees to nintendo? if not they are illegal anyways try again.
Prove it.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
LeonLethality said:
666Chaos said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Ban the R4! When I found someone I didn't like had it at a party, he got smashed out of his face, so I took it (Yes he brought his DS to a party) and decided to do a magic show with it, wince now person wanted to be sawn in half.

Calumon: Wait, can't Nintendo find out where they were importing the chips from?
They were being sued for selling r4 chips which is about as retarded as sueing future shop because they sell black dvds. Both can be used for piracy but both also have perfectly legal and legitimate uses.

Honestly I think nintendo should fuck off with these retarded law suits. They arnt combating piracy they are pissing people off which makes them want to pirate more.
I'm sure the majority of people using R4 chips are using them for perfectly legitimate things right? I honestly don't see how stopping the distribution of R4 chips is going to make people want to pirate more.
It dose not matter as the ability to use for anything legal should override anythign it can do illegally since it use it illegally you are breaking other laws, so in a fair and balanced court the device is not the problem gaining and using the rom image is.
if thats the case than nothing should be illegal because you can use alot of things that are illegal for legitimate reasons. alcohol, marijuana, some forms of guns in certain places, fucking nuclear weapons. they all have legitimate uses but it doesnt mean that any person should just be able to get them without any sort of issues arising.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
kevo.mf.last

This is a step away from freedom, soon we will not be allowed to go to any website we wish we will be forced to bend over for big greedy companys while we smile and cheer as "the bad guys" get shut down,

Anyways if you buy hardware you should be able to do anything you wish with it

oranger

May 27, 2008
Sigh...I have got to check out these chips, they sound great...and I can do so, because I am Canadian (yay!), and last time I checked it wasn't illegal to use them here.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Normal R4s are crap anyway, and they probably sold them saying they'd play any game which they won't. Still, you're asking for trouble if you're a damn retail store selling the things.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Piracy issues aside. I find Nintendo's ability to monopolize a particular format of media that they didn't invent and own the exclusive rights to, disturbing.

It still makes me wonder how the whole Intellectual Property thing with hash out with China basically giving IP laws the middle finger.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
kevo.mf.last said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
LeonLethality said:
666Chaos said:
Jack and Calumon said:

if thats the case than nothing should be illegal because you can use alot of things that are illegal for legitimate reasons. alcohol, marijuana, some forms of guns in certain places, fucking nuclear weapons. they all have legitimate uses but it doesnt mean that any person should just be able to get them without any sort of issues arising.
Well alcohol was banned that didn't last long due to the repercussions of banning it, marijuana is stigmatized as a magical super substance that will make you take more drugs.

In general mod chips are the same as aftermarket car parts perfectly legal to own and put in the car but it you go a speeding its your fault not the parts fault.

You can't say that this simple legal thing that breaks no law by itself is illegal simply because a corporation feels they are losing imaginary money from it. I mean come on they could do the same thing to DVD/BR writers and blank media tho those markets are larger and more powerful than the console mod market.

I would much rather their be less rules and laws than more as more means we have less freedoms and liberties.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Raithnor said:
Piracy issues aside. I find Nintendo's ability to monopolize a particular format of media that they didn't invent and own the exclusive rights to, disturbing.

It still makes me wonder how the whole Intellectual Property thing with hash out with China basically giving IP laws the middle finger.
CP/IP works on who has the most money and motive, hell thats how most courts work most of the time......

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
DS piracy is quite a problem in the Netherlands. A lot of people use flash cards (about half the DS owners I know) and don't think anything is wrong with it. It's also pretty much the reason Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth was released everywhere in Europe but here (I had to buy it through Amazon UK) and it's not unlikely this will happen with more titles.

And yes, most piracy figures are exegerrated but if you consider that 98% of R4 owners will never buy another DS game again (that doesn't come with a peripheral) because they barely have to go through any trouble to download a new game (as opposed to piracy of PC games, where long download times and DRM can make this a bit of hassle). Nintendo's games will continue to sell, of course. But smaller studios are being hurt because of this.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Aardvark Soup said:
DS piracy is quite a problem in the Netherlands. A lot of people use flash cards (about half the DS owners I know) and don't think anything is wrong with it. It's also pretty much the reason Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth was released everywhere in Europe but here (I had to buy it through Amazon UK) and it's not unlikely this will happen with more titles.

And yes, most piracy figures are exegerrated but if you consider that 98% of R4 owners will never buy another DS game again (that doesn't come with a peripheral) because they barely have to go through any trouble to download a new game (as opposed to piracy of PC games, where long download times and DRM can make this a bit of hassle). Nintendo's games will continue to sell, of course. But smaller studios are being hurt because of this.
Hardly...smaller studios are hurt because they are small, they are to small to be effected by it and most of their troubles come from their lack of market share, if you can't make a sale you can't blame the magical one legged bandit for it.........

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Perhaps we should be banning the use of cars because just a quick scan of the news came up with the following illegal uses of cars:

*drunk drving, speeding, hit and runs, bombings, dangerous driving, accidental death, anti social behaviour, rage problems, social disconnection, drug transportation, kidnapping and more.

It is important to safeguard society from this threat. Sure, cars have legitimate uses but think of all the crime that goes along with such a heinous invention!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Destal said:
I really hope that they find a way to end all mod chips, though I realize that will never happen.
Me too!

That way the quality of games won't change.

The price of games won't change.

The revenue brought in by companies won't change (within less than a degree that could be attributed to statistical error).

The increasing reliance on DRM would continue but be said to be related to maintaining quality and combating "future possibilities of piracy." Because developers like being able to make all games rentals. (I understand the desire for guaranteed revenue and making people borrow your shit for 60 bucks is a great way to do that).

I'm with you bro, it's obvious that so much will be better once they get rid of this piracy. (This is all coming from a guy who doesn't pirate, he *gasp* reads books till the games he wants are cheaper. Or just plays Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress since they are better anyways most times :/.)

Though I will swallow my own words, because I've got release day shipping on a hot taudy tomorrow. One that I imagine won't be throwing a little fit over piracy because they'll just straight up sell millions. Funny how that works.

ZippyDSMlee said:
Hardly...smaller studios are hurt because they are small, they are to small to be effected by it and most of their troubles come from their lack of market share, if you can't make a sale you can't blame the magical one legged bandit for it.........
I want to make you dinner.

That's the least sexual way I could say "You deserve something sweet for actually getting it."

jojolagger

Apr 24, 2009
Honestly, this stuff will make more people want to pirate just to piss of Nintendo. It's not all about getting free stuff, it's also about about fighting the corporations who shouldn't be making as much money as they are.

Also, If I overvolt my laptop battery I could use it to make a fair sized explosion. Does that mean laptop batteries should be illegal? Just because something can be used illegally doesn't mean it will.
You should cure the disease, not the symptom.