Nintendo's New Handheld is a Revamped, Redesigned 3DS

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
"New 3DS"

And this is me flipping you off, Nintendo. Come on, I thought we learned our lesson with confusing names with the Wii U?

About the actual product? Whatever. As long as the inevitable Majora's Mask remake can be played on my 3DS XL, then we're square Nintendo.

However, if its only a *sigh* "New" 3DS exclusive like Xenoblade is, I will rage and unleash the full depths of my fury upon thee.

And then buy one. But I will still be pissed doing it.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Not really that surprised by this. This happens with the DS. The DS came out in 2004, the DS Lite in 2006, DSi in 2008-2009, and then DSiXL in late 2009. Also, I'm kind of a sucker for those SNES button colors.

On the other hand, I already have a 3DSXL, so I don't really see a need to buy this. Unless a game comes out that I really want, then maybe I'll trade it in.

Also...seriously? "New 3DS"? That's really the best name you could think of, Nintendo? Since you're using the SNES colors, why not just call it "Super 3DS"?

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
I reaaallllyyy want this but my old XL is just fine and I can in no way justify buying a new one. As far as exclusivity for games goes, are they going to be doing this for all future releases or just choice titles. I swear, If Monster Hunter 4 requires this upgrade I am going to flip shit.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
So another poorly named platform from Nintendo, released soon after the original, with 3D left in in favour of "more viewing angles," rather than just ditching that useless piece of shit. Unless I could be looking at it from the side and still see 3D, and not have to deal with eye fatigue on top of it, it shouldn't be there. 3D as it stands now, especially as it stands with the 3DS, has been nothing but a gimmick. It's time we all accept that and move on.

EDIT: And of course I forgot to mention this "C-Button." A tiny analogue nub continuing the tradition started by the Gamecube of making an important piece of the hardware too small for human hands. Well done Nintendo.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Reading through the comments I feel like I'm the only one liking this new model. Having a bit more battery life, greater viewing angles on the 3D, and more powerful internals makes this a must buy for me. Also I have small hands so I doubt the small size of the second analog stick would be an issue for me. I just hope they release a version of the XL with the Famicom style colored face buttons. Oh, and I do agree that the name is seriously lacking. They could at least take a page from the last generation of DS and call it the 3DSi or something.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I haven't been playing my 3DS lately, but I may want to invest in that new one, maybe I'll trade mine in ASAP for maximum trade-in credit. I have to be honest, Xenoblade Chronicles as an incredible game and I would buy the new one just for that (taking into account I can still play my current games). I wish we had an idea about price though. If they are going to want 300 bones for this or something, it's going to be annoying as I can literally buy a Wii U for less at this point.

When this comes out it will have been at least 4 years since the original released, which is about average for Nintendo to want you to buy a newer version of something you already own that is better in some capacity. If I read that right though, they are going to have a small and XL version? That just doesn't make sense, just release the XL version.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
Vivi22 said:
So another poorly named platform from Nintendo, released soon after the original, with 3D left in in favour of "more viewing angles," rather than just ditching that useless piece of shit. Unless I could be looking at it from the side and still see 3D, and not have to deal with eye fatigue on top of it, it shouldn't be there.
uh, the New 3DS has head/gyro tracking to stabilize the 3D effect so you don't have to hold the damn thing in one fixed position (in theory)

Not to mention 4 years is hardly "soon".

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
"Do you have a new 3DS?"
"Sorry, did you mean new 3DS or new 3DS?"
"New New 3DS"
"Sorry, we only have used new 3DS and new old 3DS"
"Well, fuck you then"
--
I told myself I would hold off on Nintendo portable system until it has dual analog. I didn't think it would come this soon and I'm kind of disappointed if this is the best Nintendo could do.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Paulhorne Schillings said:
xaszatm said:
The 3DS and 3DSXL was more expensive in Japan than in America. I'm not seeing them raising the price, especially with the 3DSXL being only $199.00 in America. And yes, it's still expensive. I never said it wasn't. But if you have an old system, you're probably going to trade in that one for the new one. Especially considering that digital games are only tied to one account. That drops the price even further.
But they're still paying. You don't seem to understand that early adopters aren't going to smile and like the fact that they still have to pay a sum of over ~$50-100 to play newer games that devs made N3DS exclusive, just because N3DS exists in the first place. And what in the case of people like me, who got a <url=http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/32974/4/1.jpg>limited edition and wouldn't like to see it out of their collection? I bought my Fire Emblem Limited Edition 3DS thinking that's all I'll need for this generation of Nintendo handhelds, functionality-wise (larger screen of the 3DSXL? Who cares, I can live without it, and it has no effect on gameplay at all), and here comes Nintendo to flip off not just people that got limited editions, but everyone that was an early adopter of every model of the 3DS released thus far. Everyone.

Let's look at it a year from now, we're gonna hear of some P4G/Peace Walker-esque magnum-opus for N3DS sooner or later (maybe even 1st party, this is Nintendo we're talking about here), and every single person that would ever want to play it is going to have to go through the N3DS paywall. People complain about half-finished games that are only completed when you purchase DLC? How about a paywall of $50-$200, depending on whether you sell a 3DS/XL system in order to play at all? It's an insult to preexisting, loyal consumers so huge people don't even realize that they're getting slapped in the face in the first place.
Besides, if this really was a new system, it would have a bigger announcement. They wouldn't just leave it for a Japanese only direct that covered only half the video.
Are you kidding me? They produce this new hardware and you think they're going to understate its relevance? You can bet your bottom dollar there are going to be playable demos at TGS, e3'15, PAX East/Prime 15, and your nearest GameStop a year from now, in addition to announcements for all the N3DS-exclusive games available for it. This? This is just the first word of it. The Teaser Trailer. The Theatrical and Viral campaigns are coming.
I don't know. Remember the 2DS? It appeared out of nowhere, got a few commercials, appeared in a few conventions, then vanished into the bowels of the abyss in the media spotlight. I don't think Nintendo even uses it anymore in 3DS commercials This has a few exclusives like the DSi did. I'm really not seeing the panic in everyone's eye or the fury over this. Don't want to buy this new edition? Don't buy it. The new handheld will probably be around 2-3 years from now and you can get the game super cheap then.

Also, I have bought every Nintendo console from the Gamecube onward at launch. I'm thinking about trading in my 3DS for this right now. I already got my Ambassador's certificate (which still has games not released on the eShop) so I already was compensated a long time ago for my purchase.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Pokemon Alpha Ruby BETTER work on the older 3DS models.

Nintendo, don't screw up even more...

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
arc1991 said:
Pokemon Alpha Ruby BETTER work on the older 3DS models.

Nintendo, don't screw up even more...
Since Alpha Ruby comes out before this new 3DS comes out in Japan (let alone the 2015 release date for Europe and America), I think you'll be fine.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
youji itami said:
joshuaayt said:
I looked at that picture, and my first thoughts were, respectively
"Oh, so they still haven't built in a second stick." and
"Weird that the power switch is a face button... Oh."

That second stick is a little useless baby, but I guess it's better than the attachment you have to use now.

xaszatm said:
major_chaos said:
No, no, nonoonononoooooo. What the fuck Nintendo, there is nothing good about this. You are having a hard enough time getting people to realize the WiiU isn't just a new version of the Wii, how the hell do you expect to sell theses things? And exclusive games? Really? Yea forcing people to upgrade to a slightly better version of the handheld they just bought is going to go over faaaaaantasticaly. Also is the article implying that little "C button" is suppose to replace the circle pad? It better not mean that, because that little shitty nub thing is not even close to good enough to replace a proper stick. Normally I like Nintendo's handhelds even if I loath their consoles, but I'll buy a PS Vita before I buy this giant pile of what the fuck.
Game Boy Color and the DSi say hello. Did everyone forget that Nintendo does this...like EVERY handheld has the same cycle? (New system --> Improved System (repeat this step maybe once or twice) --> 1.5 Edition with exclusives attached to keep buying power --> New System) The only one that broke it was the Advanced line, and that was because 4 years was too short to have a 1.5 Advanced.
Advanced had the GBA SP- the first clamshell design. It also brought an inbuilt backlight, and rechargable battery.

You're right, this is absolutely the norm for ol' ninty.
The GBA SP was a different hardware design but did not use different games so not really the same thing.
You could only play Advance Games on the SP, GBC games didn't work, thanks to the GBC cartridges not having a slight delve at the bottom.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
GZGoten said:
the new C Button doubles as a second thumb stick... are you kidding me? Look at the size of that thing!
take a page from VITA Nintendo, even if the device is unpopular at least it's control scheme is well designed and adequately sized for human hands

I agree.. that new analog stick is ridiculously tiny... why didn't Nintendo just move the face buttons down, relocated the start and select buttons to a side by side position at the bottom of the side their currently on and then use the space left at the top to put in a full sized second analog stick?.. i even did a photoshop picture of what it should have looked like..

much better isn't it?

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
crazygameguy4ever said:
Better question, why the hell didn't Nintendo put two analog sticks on this system the FIRST TIME AROUND LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE!?!

Not to mention why didn't they test the damned 3D function so it actually worked for anything other than a tiny very specific spot instead of creating massive headaches in the vast majority of people who used it and making it awkward to use?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
My 3DS XL isn't even a year old yet, and I spent two years debating with myself whether or not to buy it, so this honestly really pisses me off. It wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the fact that they're making games that are exclusive to this version of the 3DS.