Nintendo's New Handheld is a Revamped, Redesigned 3DS

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Have Nintendo given up on thinking of new names for their products? I'm half expecting their next handheld after this to be the 'Next New 3DS' followed by 'Yet Another New 3DS' with the obvious XL variants too. Although it might be because they think their customers are idiots for not realising that the WiiU was a new console and not an accessory for the Wii and they are literally spelling it out for them rather than doing some marketing.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
"LL"? What kind of name is that? I can't unthink of it standing for "Large Large". :/

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Sounds to me like the DSi, GBC; it's a stopgap until we get the new handheld. Give it another two years and we'll see the next one; Nintendo's not going to make a brand new system until about five years have passed.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
xaszatm said:
Game Boy Color and the DSi say hello.
I'm almost positive that all gameboy games would play on both GB and GBC (Though I was young at the time so my memory might be off), and I have no idea what you are talking about with DSi "exclusives". I assume they made like, 1 half assed gimmick game that used the camera? because I have a had a sizable DS library with just the lite and never encountered anything that wouldn't run. This isn't the normal optional convince update, this is a mandatory to play upcoming retail games hardware update.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Will it be priced above the $200 mark?
Well, the Japanese Nintendo Direct put the prices for these new systems at 16,000 and 18,800 yen respectively, which at current exchange rates comes up to about ~153 and ~180 dollars.

I'm guessing either the new versions will be priced slightly higher than the current ones, but not by much OR the new versions will be priced the same as the older models while the old ones get a price drop. My bet is on the latter as that seems like the smartest move for Nintendo.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
xaszatm said:
thenightgaunt said:
roseofbattle said:
The New 3DS is faster thanks to a faster CPU. Because of this games made specifically for the New 3DS will not be supported on older models. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBop-Dqp2ik
">Xenoblade Chronicles, which came out on the Wii in 2010 in Japan (2011 in Europe and Australia, 2012 in North America), is one such case. It will make use of the New 3DS's upgraded hardware and will not be playable on the older 3DS.
To heck with the stupid c button. This is the bigger issue. The 3DS is less than 4 years old and they're already foisting a new system on us. I don't want to spend another $200+ on a new gameboy when I just did so for the 3DS XL 2 years ago.
Why are so many people thinking this is a new system? It's a graphical update. Like the Gameboy Color and the DSi (though DSi's update was better online).
Right, except that with the DSi, every game you could play in it (with 5 exceptions as per Wikipedia) you could play on a DS or DS lite.

I could play the GB Color version of Bomberman on my GB Pocket way back when, the only difference being that certain functionality was limited.

joshuaayt above brought up the GBA SP. There is no game you can play on that that you can't also play on a GBA, it's just a nicer experience. The same sort of thing is true for the 2DS/3DS/3DSXL line.

We don't really have enough information (I don't think) about the new console yet to know how exclusive it'll be when games for it are released - is this Xenoblade an exception or a norm? Are there going to be a lot of games that are released for the new console that can't be played on a standard 3DS, or just 3 or 4? I don't think the latter is going to be the case for viable business reasons. I predict it's the "next in the series" issue, and a better marketing campaign will be needed to reflect it.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Urgh, I know this is par for the course for Nintendo, and I really want this new 3DS, but I just got my first one a year ago.
At least when I replaced my color for advanced they were three years apart.

The exclusive games thing really pisses me off too, and I bet that will only confuse the consumer base even farther.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
major_chaos said:
xaszatm said:
I'm almost positive that all gameboy games would play on both GB and GBC (Though I was young at the time so my memory might be off), and I have no idea what you are talking about with DSi "exclusives". I assume they made like, 1 half assed gimmick game that used the camera? because I have a had a sizable DS library with just the lite and never encountered anything that wouldn't run. This isn't the normal optional convince update, this is a mandatory to play upcoming retail games hardware update.
GBC had a few that could play on the GB with black and white screens. Pokemon Gold and Silver would get errors in the game while playing on a traditional Game Boy and others wouldn't work. DSi had a number of exclusives on their digital eshop. Granted, they were mostly ported to the 3DS when it was released so not many people remember them as exclusives to the DSi.

And that's what I'm assuming here as well. These exclusives are stopgap measures to ensure that new people buy the latest rendition before the new system is announced. Besides, the new 3DS hardware wasn't a surprise. We had hints of this since earlier this year when the NFC was explain in a bit more detail, with Nintendo saying that the 3DS will have improvements.

Also, Xenoblade Chronicles is this important? Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but have you seen the 3DS version? It doesn't look like an improvement. The framerate seems wonky as all hell and it looks like this system is just barely able to handle it. I'd suggest the Wii version of this new one.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Aerosteam said:
"LL"? What kind of name is that? I can't unthink of it standing for "Large Large". :/
It has to do with how they size their clothing. Shirt sizes come in S, M, L, LL, LLL, etc.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
144 said:
xaszatm said:
thenightgaunt said:
roseofbattle said:
The New 3DS is faster thanks to a faster CPU. Because of this games made specifically for the New 3DS will not be supported on older models. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBop-Dqp2ik
">Xenoblade Chronicles, which came out on the Wii in 2010 in Japan (2011 in Europe and Australia, 2012 in North America), is one such case. It will make use of the New 3DS's upgraded hardware and will not be playable on the older 3DS.
To heck with the stupid c button. This is the bigger issue. The 3DS is less than 4 years old and they're already foisting a new system on us. I don't want to spend another $200+ on a new gameboy when I just did so for the 3DS XL 2 years ago.
Why are so many people thinking this is a new system? It's a graphical update. Like the Gameboy Color and the DSi (though DSi's update was better online).
Right, except that with the DSi, every game you could play in it (with 5 exceptions as per Wikipedia) you could play on a DS or DS lite.

I could play the GB Color version of Bomberman on my GB Pocket way back when, the only difference being that certain functionality was limited.

joshuaayt above brought up the GBA SP. There is no game you can play on that that you can't also play on a GBA, it's just a nicer experience. The same sort of thing is true for the 2DS/3DS/3DSXL line.

We don't really have enough information (I don't think) about the new console yet to know how exclusive it'll be when games for it are released - is this Xenoblade an exception or a norm? Are there going to be a lot of games that are released for the new console that can't be played on a standard 3DS, or just 3 or 4? I don't think the latter is going to be the case for viable business reasons. I predict it's the "next in the series" issue, and a better marketing campaign will be needed to reflect it.
They have announced that there will be other exclusives to this system, though that could mean exclusives akin to the DSi. Besides, if it was a new handheld, they'd probably hold something bigger than a Japanese-only Direct. Remember that Japan doesn't have the 2DS so this is their latest update to the handheld.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
xaszatm said:
major_chaos said:
xaszatm said:
GBC had a few that could play on the GB with black and white screens. Pokemon Gold and Silver would get errors in the game while playing on a traditional Game Boy and others wouldn't work. DSi had a number of exclusives on their digital eshop. Granted, they were mostly ported to the 3DS when it was released so not many people remember them as exclusives to the DSi.

And that's what I'm assuming here as well. These exclusives are stopgap measures to ensure that new people buy the latest rendition before the new system is announced. Besides, the new 3DS hardware wasn't a surprise. We had hints of this since earlier this year when the NFC was explain in a bit more detail, with Nintendo saying that the 3DS will have improvements.

Also, Xenoblade Chronicles is this important? Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but have you seen the 3DS version? It doesn't look like an improvement. The framerate seems wonky as all hell and it looks like this system is just barely able to handle it. I'd suggest the Wii version of this new one.
Pokemon Gold and Silver were designed to be GB-compatable, with functionality that could utilize the GBC. If you were getting serious errors, there was something wrong with your game. Which is obvious by the shape of the cartridge and the wikipedia entry.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Here's hoping that they don't release any New 3DS-exclusive Ace Attorney games.
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
For the love of living christ, Nintendo -- FIRE THE GUY NAMING YOUR SHIT!
Could be worse. Could have been named something that's supposed to be cool but just comes off as pointless. Like when the new Xbox was called Xbox 360, and the one after that -- the third Xbox -- was called "Xbox One."

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I'm not upset by the fact we're getting upgrade tech.
what I am upset by is they're basically giving us a new handheld really soon (about 2-3 years after the 3DS initially launched). the 3DS is actually successful! And there are a lot of special edition models that people went out of their way to get. By making an entirely new device for which only certain games will function, they are basically forcing our hand into getting the new device. Which is more frustrating if you don't have the spare money or already have a 3DS that you don't want to get rid of or upgrade from. Not to mention the games tied to the device. I don't know if those will transfer over easily unless they've updated that during the 3DS's lifetime that I'm unaware of.

All that said, this seems like a bad move. I get it. And I think there's some good ideas behind it. But I don't think its a great move overall when, right now, the 3DS is sitting on high and doing great. I can't imagine people are willing to jump to this new platform too quickly.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
xaszatm said:
I'm not specifically worried about Xenoblade because I allready have the Wii version (somehow. those disks are fucking pressed unobtaniuim), I'm worried that
A. all future major 3DS exclusives are going to require this version in order to drive sales and
B. this sets an ugly precedent if it does well. Can you imagine Microsoft latching onto this concept? "Now introducing the Xbox one.5!!! The totaly optional [sub](lol not really)[/sub] upgraded version of the Xbox One!! Now exactly the same but with faceplates and 1GB more RAM! Only $499! Get yours now, because otherwise you can't play Halo 6 suckers"

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Paulhorne Schillings said:
xaszatm said:
Because
1. More Buttons
2. Games released for it that are unplayable on older models

And there's the undeniable fact that people are going to have to dish out another $200-$300 in order to be able to play these new games.

I am going to be seriously insulted if Smash Bros 3DS runs faster and/or plays better on New 3DS models.
It was annouced for 16,000 yen for the regular and 18,8100 yen for the LL Edition. That's $150 - $190. There is no graphical update. The game engine was enhanced. Please read.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Paulhorne Schillings said:
xaszatm said:
Because
1. More Buttons
2. Games released for it that are unplayable on older models

And there's the undeniable fact that people are going to have to dish out another $200-$300 in order to be able to play these new games.

I am going to be seriously insulted if Smash Bros 3DS runs faster and/or plays better on New 3DS models.
Number 2 is the only one that matters, and only if it's in large quantity. Which I think it will be.

Also, Be prepared to be seriously insulted. Better technology tends to run better.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
major_chaos said:
xaszatm said:
I'm not specifically worried about Xenoblade because I allready have the Wii version (somehow. those disks are fucking pressed unobtaniuim), I'm worried that
A. all future major 3DS exclusives are going to require this version in order to drive sales and
B. this sets an ugly precedent if it does well. Can you imagine Microsoft latching onto this concept? "Now introducing the Xbox one.5!!! The totaly optional [sub](lol not really)[/sub] upgraded version of the Xbox One!! Now exactly the same but with faceplates and 1GB more RAM! Only $499! Get yours now, because otherwise you can't play Halo 6 suckers"
I'd have more problems if it wasn't for the price. While we only have Japanese Yen, the price comes to $150-$180. This is MUCH cheaper than what the 3DSXL is going for right now.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
xaszatm said:
I'd have more problems if it wasn't for the price. While we only have Japanese Yen, the price comes to $150-$180. This is MUCH cheaper than what the 3DSXL is going for right now.
From what I can tell a new 3DSXL runs between $200 and $185, and from that point $150-$180 doesn't really seem like a huge discount to me.