Nintendo's New Handheld is a Revamped, Redesigned 3DS

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
I have a feeling that they've changed more than meets the eye. Nintendo always had the "less powerful" stigma, and is trying to break out of that to enable seriously impressive games on their handhelds. But because they like the design of the 3DSXL, they want to keep martketing the same way (see having cake analogy). Which is sadly difficult to do - you can't market something like an old product on the hope people will like its new features.

For instance, I bet it would be a surprisingly bigger-than-you-realize jump in tech than they're telling us if you were to take out the extra button, faceplate thing, and 3d enhancement, but that's not something that plays to the existing 3DS marketing campaign, so they're wrapping it all up in "faster."

And Man

May 12, 2014
I'm kinda upset about this, especially that there are games exclusive to the New 3DS. It kinda makes me feel like a chump for buying a Circle Pad Pro. Now, if releasing games exclusive to the New 3DS is only going to be a rare occurrence and they release more games that can be played on both a New 3DS and a standard 3DS with a Circle Pad Pro, I'll be fine with it. Maybe a bit happier, since it will mean I'll get more use out of the Circle Pad Pro than just Monster Hunter. Also, this makes it really likely that Smash Bros. 3DS will have Circle Pad Pro support, which is awesome.

144 said:
I was in a best buy, and saw a mom holding up a Wii U game asking if it worked for regular Wii. I was so disappointed in the species.
That's actually not that bad. I know people that work at Gamestop, and they regularly have customers asking if Xbox games work on PlayStation and vice versa.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
major_chaos said:
xaszatm said:
I'd have more problems if it wasn't for the price. While we only have Japanese Yen, the price comes to $150-$180. This is MUCH cheaper than what the 3DSXL is going for right now.
From what I can tell a new 3DSXL runs between $200 and $185, and from that point $150-$180 doesn't really seem like a huge discount to me.
Well yes, but I (and probably Nintendo) am assuming that people would trade in their old system for the new one. Given that a used 3DSXL goes for around $80-90, that's $70-$100 in cost. That's really not that bad in terms of cost for an upgrade.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
joshuaayt said:
I looked at that picture, and my first thoughts were, respectively
"Oh, so they still haven't built in a second stick." and
"Weird that the power switch is a face button... Oh."

That second stick is a little useless baby, but I guess it's better than the attachment you have to use now.

xaszatm said:
major_chaos said:
No, no, nonoonononoooooo. What the fuck Nintendo, there is nothing good about this. You are having a hard enough time getting people to realize the WiiU isn't just a new version of the Wii, how the hell do you expect to sell theses things? And exclusive games? Really? Yea forcing people to upgrade to a slightly better version of the handheld they just bought is going to go over faaaaaantasticaly. Also is the article implying that little "C button" is suppose to replace the circle pad? It better not mean that, because that little shitty nub thing is not even close to good enough to replace a proper stick. Normally I like Nintendo's handhelds even if I loath their consoles, but I'll buy a PS Vita before I buy this giant pile of what the fuck.
Game Boy Color and the DSi say hello. Did everyone forget that Nintendo does this...like EVERY handheld has the same cycle? (New system --> Improved System (repeat this step maybe once or twice) --> 1.5 Edition with exclusives attached to keep buying power --> New System) The only one that broke it was the Advanced line, and that was because 4 years was too short to have a 1.5 Advanced.
Advanced had the GBA SP- the first clamshell design. It also brought an inbuilt backlight, and rechargable battery.

You're right, this is absolutely the norm for ol' ninty.
The GBA SP was a different hardware design but did not use different games so not really the same thing.

My problem is that they seem to be aiming for retail new 3DS games rather than download only like with the DSi which is just going to make it confusing for the target audience of young kids and parent/grand parents buying for young kids.

The GB colour did have retail games but at least it came out over 9 years after the game boy did not less than 4 like this 'new 3DS' (stupid, stupid name).

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well that just sealed it. The next Nintendo handheld will be out in about 2 years. Just like the Game boy Color to Advance, GB SP to DS, DSi XL to 3DS. Maybe next time they will take a page from Sony and wont continue to flub the second analog. I'd agree that the little nub one this is way too small to be used comfortably very often.

"The New 3DS is faster thanks to a faster CPU. Because of this games made specifically for the New 3DS will not be supported on older models."
Great, way to break the install base in two Ninty. This isn't like where games with DSi camera features couldn't use said features or games based heavily on camera use were a no-go on older DS models. I certainly hope Big N isn't claiming this is their next gen handheld. (I can only hope my first paragraph is true because of this slight hardware upgrade.) The names alone prove that the marketing guys responsible for the Wii U name and the resulting confusion haven't been smacked upside the head hard enough or sacked. (The names are almost bad enough to make the xbox one cringe, almost.)

It's good they improved the 3D viewing angles, so using that and the gyroscope controls don't blur the image (as much. I can't assume it's perfect). (I still won't use 3D, since even, in games that can render things so much better, all 3D looks like 2-4 layers of animated cardboard cutouts.) And that tiny C nub might free devs from using the touch screen as the sole second analog input and it might be improved in the next interation. I might begrudgingly buy one if the next Metroid is exclusive to it. (Nintendo hasn't pulled dirty tricks like this before, right? *Remembers searching high and low back in 2006 for a Wii just to play Twilight Princess, AKA the game that got delayed everyday and once more to make a Wii waggle version, and having to wait a month for the GC version to come out. (At least that was the better version.)*...Fuuuuu.)

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Hairless Mammoth said:
Well that just sealed it. The next Nintendo handheld will be out in about 2 years. Just like the Game boy Color to Advance, GB SP to DS, DSi XL to 3DS. Maybe next time they will take a page from Sony and wont continue to flub the second analog. I'd agree that the little nub one this is way too small to be used comfortably very often.

"The New 3DS is faster thanks to a faster CPU. Because of this games made specifically for the New 3DS will not be supported on older models."
Great, way to break the install base in two Ninty. This isn't like where games with DSi camera features couldn't use said features or games based heavily on camera use were a no-go on older DS models. I certainly hope Big N isn't claiming this is their next gen handheld. (I can only hope my first paragraph is true because of this slight hardware upgrade.) The names alone prove that the marketing guys responsible for the Wii U name and the resulting confusion haven't been smacked upside the head hard enough or sacked. (The names are almost bad enough to make the xbox one cringe, almost.)

It's good they improved the 3D viewing angles, so using that and the gyroscope controls don't blur the image (as much. I can't assume it's perfect). (I still won't use 3D, since even, in games that can render things so much better, all 3D looks like 2-4 layers of animated cardboard cutouts.) And that tiny C nub might free devs from using the touch screen as the sole second analog input and it might be improved in the next interation. I might begrudgingly buy one if the next Metroid is exclusive to it. (Nintendo hasn't pulled dirty tricks like this before, right? *Remembers searching high and low back in 2006 for a Wii just to play Twilight Princess, AKA the game that got delayed everyday and once more to make a Wii waggle version, and having to wait a month for the GC version to come out. (At least that was the better version.)*...Fuuuuu.)
I think base breaking won't happen because of the price. It translate to $150 - $180 from Japanese Yen and these handhelds are usually cheaper in America. I'm thinking that Nintendo kept it that low to entice new players and to get people to trade in their old 3DS (the fact that you can only keep your digital games tied to one account at a time does support this).

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Mahorfeus said:
Damn it, Nintendo! My current 3DS was a gift from my girlfriend; how the living hell am I supposed to justify buying this thing?
It "tragically" fell out of your hands....and down several flights of steps. :D

OT: Bloody hell! I just got the new one for Christmas last year and then this happens....

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
And Man said:
I'm kinda upset about this, especially that there are games exclusive to the New 3DS. It kinda makes me feel like a chump for buying a Circle Pad Pro. Now, if releasing games exclusive to the New 3DS is only going to be a rare occurrence and they release more games that can be played on both a New 3DS and a standard 3DS with a Circle Pad Pro, I'll be fine with it. Maybe a bit happier, since it will mean I'll get more use out of the Circle Pad Pro than just Monster Hunter. Also, this makes it really likely that Smash Bros. 3DS will have Circle Pad Pro support, which is awesome.

144 said:
I was in a best buy, and saw a mom holding up a Wii U game asking if it worked for regular Wii. I was so disappointed in the species.
That's actually not that bad. I know people that work at Gamestop, and they regularly have customers asking if Xbox games work on PlayStation and vice versa.
I totally believe you. And this is exactly why effective marketing can't be taken lightly.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Well, I've not owned a Nintendo handheld since the DS lite, guess I'll add this to the list of stuff to get.
-Guts of a PC I'm building
-Wii U
-New 3DS

Edit-
So, I read some of the comments and I gotta say I'm confused by the frustration of some people. I can't understand why people are trying to look at this like it's just another 3DS, like the 2DS or XL. Not every new handheld generation needs to be so drastically different to warrant purchase. I don't see this as anything different then having a PS1, but needing to upgrade to a PS2 to play PS2 games.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Paulhorne Schillings said:
xaszatm said:
Paulhorne Schillings said:
xaszatm said:
Why are so many people thinking this is a new system? It's a graphical update. Like the Gameboy Color and the DSi (though DSi's update was better online).
Because
1. More Buttons
2. Games released for it that are unplayable on older models

And there's the undeniable fact that people are going to have to dish out another $200-$300 in order to be able to play these new games.

I am going to be seriously insulted if Smash Bros 3DS runs faster and/or plays better on New 3DS models.
It was annouced for 16,000 yen for the regular and 18,8100 yen for the LL Edition. That's $150 - $190. There is no graphical update. The game engine was enhanced. Please read.
1. <Implying that they're necessarily going to charge the same for American pricing> This is a "we'll know it when we see it" deal. I'm most likely in the wrong, though.
2. <Implying that just because they're $150-190 changes the fact that it's still a hefty investment> Spoiler alert: it doesn't.
The 3DS and 3DSXL was more expensive in Japan than in America. I'm not seeing them raising the price, especially with the 3DSXL being only $199.00 in America. And yes, it's still expensive. I never said it wasn't. But if you have an old system, you're probably going to trade in that one for the new one. Especially considering that digital games are only tied to one account. That drops the price even further.

Besides, if this really was a new system, it would have a bigger announcement. They wouldn't just leave it for a Japanese only direct that covered only half the video.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I like how this makes current owners mad, but instead makes me consider getting one of these now.

After all, good things come to those who wait, right?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The biggest concern I'd have is dividing the base.

GZGoten said:
take a page from VITA Nintendo
Inane steps to meet us half-way are one of Nintendo's defining characteristics. If they included two analogues now, how would they get praise for innovation next generation? By actually supporting a robust online system rather than treating us like children?

Ha! Ha, I say!

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
Aerosteam said:
"LL"? What kind of name is that? I can't unthink of it standing for "Large Large". :/
Japanese XLs are called LLs

OT: I can't see why people are getting mad; the 3DS is near 4 years old in the West, a hardware revision was bound to happen. Now it's up to Nintendo to market well the New 3DS games so there won't be any confusion of sorts.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Aerosteam said:
"LL"? What kind of name is that? I can't unthink of it standing for "Large Large". :/
Japanese clothing follows similar sizing nomenclature. Large Large is correct. Where American size charts go L, XL, XXL, etc. Japanese sizes skip the "X" and just stack the "L".

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Pretty sure I'll just wait a couple years for the successor to the 3DS rather than their frequent redesigns.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Loving the SNES colours on the 3DS, that'd be a tipping point for me to buy one tbh.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm crossing my fingers that NoA renames this thing like they did with the Famicom/NES. Calling it "New 3DS" is just begging for consumer confusion, the same problems that already plague the Wii U.

Other than that, this looks like a solid improvement, and I'm definitely gonna buy it.

P.S. Thanks

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Reddit doesn't seem to be complaining about the stupidest thing here, so I'm gonna say it bluntly: