Nintendo's New Handheld is a Revamped, Redesigned 3DS

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Alright, I'm with a lot of people on the whole against redesign thing, but I can look past most of it except for 2 major things:

1) Why the hell would you a) put the second analog stick so high up, and b) make it based of the GameCube controller's C-stick which was too tiny (seems to be keeping that trend) and was too damn sensitive. Seriously, try using the Ocarina with a C-stick and you will hit the wrong notes by accident a lot.

2) Is it region locked for physical cartridges still? If yes, then fuck off Nintendo. Seriously, region locking digital content I can understand to a degree, but region locking the physical item I, and many others, go out of their way to import is just backwards in this day and age. Especially since localization is still a major problem, that is, if the game ever even leaves Japan. Currently there are 20 Japan only games that I'd love to own, but definitely won't come over to the US or to Europe, and hell Europe and PAL regions are just barely getting Shin Megami Tensei IV, and they don't even get a physical release for it. If region locking was as damaging as people say, then Sony wouldn't have kept physical games region free for as long as they have. Hell, even Microsoft has embraced region free consoles now, because they also realize that people study abroad or go on deployment for the military.

3) The name...seriously? You really have learned nothing if that's the final name of the product. People are still confused over the whole Wii U thing apparently, and calling it the "New 3DS" is only gonna make things worse. >.>
Either fire the person in charge of naming, or make names for your systems that won't confuse people. Better hope you have good marketing, because I still see people confused between a 2DS and regular DS, as well as people still confused about the differences between a Wii and Wii U. And since it's been years since both systems launched, that shows someone in your marketing department has failed hard. I'm gonna blame Scott Moffitt for this.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
AJ_Lethal said:
RetroMenace said:
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and Nintendo makes a move that is highly anti-consumer. What else is new?

It's a shame that there are so many people with rose-tinted glasses who will eagerly buy a $200 console just for one or two first party Nintendo games. Businesses should be punished for these kind of moves, but since Nintendo has such a rabid fanbase, they get rewarded for it time and time again. If Microsoft did this kind of stuff, you know everyone on the internet would be up-in-arms about it.

But, as long as Nintendo does something, they're all fine and peachy. It's irritating, to say the least.
You know the OG 3DS family will still be supported, right?
Will I be able to play Xenoblade Chronicles on my 3DS XL?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Baresark said:
I haven't been playing my 3DS lately, but I may want to invest in that new one, maybe I'll trade mine in ASAP for maximum trade-in credit. I have to be honest, Xenoblade Chronicles as an incredible game and I would buy the new one just for that (taking into account I can still play my current games). I wish we had an idea about price though. If they are going to want 300 bones for this or something, it's going to be annoying as I can literally buy a Wii U for less at this point.

When this comes out it will have been at least 4 years since the original released, which is about average for Nintendo to want you to buy a newer version of something you already own that is better in some capacity. If I read that right though, they are going to have a small and XL version? That just doesn't make sense, just release the XL version.
the reason why they have a small one still is that some people's pockets/purses aren't big enough to fit the XL one

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
RetroMenace said:
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and Nintendo makes a move that is highly anti-consumer. What else is new?

It's a shame that there are so many people with rose-tinted glasses who will eagerly buy a $200 console just for one or two first party Nintendo games. Businesses should be punished for these kind of moves, but since Nintendo has such a rabid fanbase, they get rewarded for it time and time again. If Microsoft did this kind of stuff, you know everyone on the internet would be up-in-arms about it.

But, as long as Nintendo does something, they're all fine and peachy. It's irritating, to say the least.
Is that a rhetorical question?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
AJ_Lethal said:
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
RetroMenace said:

No. Will I be able to play Xenoblade Chronicles on my 3DS XL or will I need to buy this new "New 3DS"?

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
RetroMenace said:

No. Will I be able to play Xenoblade Chronicles on my 3DS XL or will I need to buy this new "New 3DS"?
Apparently it will be only for the N3DS since it needs that extra CPU power.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
AJ_Lethal said:
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
RetroMenace said:

One exclusive already and they have only just announced it. If it turns out that many future 3DS games will not run on older hardware, well that would suck.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
RetroMenace said:

One exclusive already and they have only just announced it. If it turns out that many future 3DS games will not run on older hardware, well that would suck.
I don't think they will go overboard with it, tho. Probably they will do like the GB>GBC transition, but way more nuanced.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
WeepingAngels said:
AJ_Lethal said:
RetroMenace said:

That is exactly what so many in this thread are upset about. That another new format is coming just a few short years after the last, when so many people are only just now, or have only recently made the leap to 3DS, now there's another one, with all new games they won't have access to unless they pony up again. Plus, that name, that godforsaken horrible, confusing name.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Damnit Nintendo, you're not going to improve your industry standing by throwing out new hardware every other year.

Krustosaurus

Mar 6, 2013
arc1991 said:
youji itami said:
joshuaayt said:
I looked at that picture, and my first thoughts were, respectively
"Oh, so they still haven't built in a second stick." and
"Weird that the power switch is a face button... Oh."

That second stick is a little useless baby, but I guess it's better than the attachment you have to use now.

xaszatm said:
major_chaos said:
No, no, nonoonononoooooo. What the fuck Nintendo, there is nothing good about this. You are having a hard enough time getting people to realize the WiiU isn't just a new version of the Wii, how the hell do you expect to sell theses things? And exclusive games? Really? Yea forcing people to upgrade to a slightly better version of the handheld they just bought is going to go over faaaaaantasticaly. Also is the article implying that little "C button" is suppose to replace the circle pad? It better not mean that, because that little shitty nub thing is not even close to good enough to replace a proper stick. Normally I like Nintendo's handhelds even if I loath their consoles, but I'll buy a PS Vita before I buy this giant pile of what the fuck.
Game Boy Color and the DSi say hello. Did everyone forget that Nintendo does this...like EVERY handheld has the same cycle? (New system --> Improved System (repeat this step maybe once or twice) --> 1.5 Edition with exclusives attached to keep buying power --> New System) The only one that broke it was the Advanced line, and that was because 4 years was too short to have a 1.5 Advanced.
Advanced had the GBA SP- the first clamshell design. It also brought an inbuilt backlight, and rechargable battery.

You're right, this is absolutely the norm for ol' ninty.
The GBA SP was a different hardware design but did not use different games so not really the same thing.
You could only play Advance Games on the SP, GBC games didn't work, thanks to the GBC cartridges not having a slight delve at the bottom.
Actually, you can play GB and GBC games on the SP. I still use it to play my old Mario games and Metroid.

I'm not too bothered by the news since I'm content just working my way through the backlog of games I have at the moment and only got my 3DSXL last year. It'll probably be a few iterations into the next generation of Nintendo handhelds before I upgrade. Having another set of exclusive games is rather annoying though, since I'm sure there'll be one that I really want but won't be worth purchasing a new console for.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I don't understand the switch to MicroSD. People who buy this thing can't just use their old 32GB SD Card. What a waste of money.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
WeepingAngels said:
I don't understand the switch to MicroSD. People who buy this thing can't just use their old 32GB SD Card. What a waste of money.
Perhaps they intend to increase the memory limit from 32 GB to 64 GB? Other than that, I can't think of why they would suddenly switch to Micro SD, because those can be a bit more expensive than regular SD cards. Even more fun, I just bought a 32 GB SD card just so that I could download the digital version of Donkey Kong Country Returns since that thing takes up about 6-7 GB, and I figured I might as well go big.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
mmmm allright, when this comes out i will finally take the plunge and by a 3ds, will be my first gameboy since GBA. I've been told theres a huge selection of awesome games on 3ds so i can't wait for this.

That said nintendo really, really, really needs to hire some new marketing folks to come up w/ names for their products.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Huh. Didn't expect a new handheld that fast.

Also I remember the Game Boy Micro had those customizable plates and my friend who had it said they kept popping off.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Surely nice for kids. For me it's too expensive. I don't have the need for complex mobile gaming, when I'm not at home I'm normally not playing anything - and if I do, a simple mobile game for free on a smart phone suffices.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
What the actual fuck, Nintendo? I don't mind them coming out with new versions of their system, but seriously, I was an early adopter of the 3DS when it first came out and even upgraded to the 3DS XL when THAT came out... and now, I imagine there will be a TON of new Nintendo exclusives that will only be playable on this new shit you're pushing. I'm sure Nintendo expects us all to run out and buy this just to keep up. I'd complain about Nintendo making things even more confusing for their customers by calling this thing the "New 3DS", but it's pretty obvious they stopped giving a shit about making names less confusing a long time ago.

More information would be great. If they're planning to make all their future Nintendo exclusives only available on the N3DS, it'd be nice to know.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
xaszatm said:
Kuredan said:
What is up with those colours on the buttons though? The X was all right, but a red A button, green Y and yellow B... what madness is this!!!
It's the colors of the Japanese Super Famicom.
The European snes also had those colors.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Going from "Nintendo DS" to "Nintendo 3DS" to "Nintendo New 3DS" isn't the smartest marketing move, no. Didn't they learn anything from the Wii U marketing fiasco?

They should read a page off Sony's book. PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4. No "PS1 U" or "PS2 New" or "PS3.5D" bullshit. Just numbers, in order. It's not that hard, Nintendo.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Right now I'll say, nah, not super interested. I only got my 3DS a few months ago and I've not really played it much due to MMOs sucking my life away.

By the time it comes out, though, there's a reasonable chance I'll consider it worth the upgrade if there's a new exclusive that catches my eye.