Nintendo's President Announces Mario for 3DS

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Nintendo's President Announces Mario for 3DS

During his keynote speech at the 2011 Game Developers Conference, Iwata said that Nintendo was working on a Mario game for the 3DS.

Many people were surprised that there wasn't a Super Mario game announced in the launch lineup for Nintendo's latest handheld game. Every single other console launch, since 1985, had at least some representation of that little Italian plumber. Today, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata revealed that the same team that worked on Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 is making a games specifically for the 3D capabilities of the new handheld. The logo that Iwata showed wasn't very descriptive, but he said that we would find out what the tail in the bottom right means during Nintendo's conference at this year's E3. No mention of a release date, but if I had to guess it will be ready for the Holiday 2011 season.

I can't guess as to what the tail means either, but we could be seeing a return of the red leaf power-up from Super Mario Bros. 3 which transformed Mario into a Raccoon. Man, that would be awesome. Flying around in 3D? Yep, that's a must have.

Check out my liveblog of Satoru Iwata's keynote speech at GDC for more information on Nintendo plans for the future.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
What's with Japanese developers and hints?

I remember in Final Fantasy XI, no one could figure out how to beat the hardest boss in the game without using an exploit/glitch, so once they fixed the glitch they made like a 2-hour-long video of the development team killing the boss, saying there were "subtle hints in the video" without actually showing what the hints were.

Then in Final Fantasy XIV when the game was first announced and we had no information on the game yet they said "look at the title, you can tell almost everything about the game by all the subtle hints in the title".

And now Super Mario 3DS with "subtle hints in the title". What the hell lol. Maybe it's just coincidence but it seems like every time something from Japan releases information it's like obligated by law to be encrypted.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Surprising absolutely no one.

Oh well, let's see if they can actually do something interesting with the series and 3D. It's been pretty much just iterations of the same thing since Mario 64 and I can't see the addition of 3D changing that, but maybe N will prove me wrong.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Tanooki suit? Leaf? Roc's Feather? I'm game, Nintendo, especially if it's by the SMG guys, who have produced two of my favorite games. But, I'm not buying until I have promise of Paper Mario 3DS as well.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
While a true sequel to Super Mario World would be preferable, I could definitely see the appeal in something like a remake/expansion of Super Mario Advance 4, what with the many extra levels created for those silly cards.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Woah. I honestly did not see this coming.
Why would you do such a thing?
You hate me don't you?
D:

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
ZOMG! whats next?! a legend of zelda game? oh wait... OH! What about a starfox game? oh wait... OH! OH! what about a Metroid game?

I know what its going to be, it will be a remake of marios tennis from the virtual boy, that being one of the only mario games that hasn't been ported to every console

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Because this is such a shocker that there will be a Mario game on the 3DS. ---_____---#

Anyway, I would hope for a paper mario port or original.

Jatyu

Insane Faceless Stranger
Sep 1, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Anyway, I would hope for a paper mario port or original.
Paper Mario 3DS has been announced for ages now. There are screenshots and everything.