Nintendo's Wii U Showcase is Too Cool For a Press Conference

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

Nintendo will host a "software showcase" just prior to E3's official opening, featuring hands-on time with upcoming Wii U titles.

Nintendo shocked the gaming world earlier this month by announcing that it would go against a decades-old tradition and not deliver an E3 press conference. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123519-Nintendo-Ditches-its-E3-Press-Conference] It stated instead that it would host several smaller events that catered to specific audiences. At least one of those events has now been detailed, with Nintendo extending an invitation to various members of the gaming press to attend a "Wii U Software Showcase" prior to E3's official opening.

The showcase will be kick off on June 11th at 10:30 AM. Opening remarks will be provided by NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime and Shigeru Miyamoto, with a gameplay and Q&A session to follow at 11. Nintendo promises the event will give journalists "the chance to get closer to the games through a unique hands-on experience". E3 officially opens its doors later that day at 12 PM.

Nintendo are expected to announce a smartphone app ports [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123715-New-3D-Mario-Reportedly-Hitting-Wii-U-in-2013] for the console.

The company will reportedly shift its focus from the 3DS to the Wii U in the second half of the year, amid poor sales that are partly due to people not realizing the Wii U is a different system from the Wii [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123659-Nintendo-Urges-Wii-Owners-to-Please-Please-Upgrade].

"We are continuing to consider exciting new ways to bring the news of our games and information directly to the players at home during the E3 timeframe, and will have more to say about that at a later date," said Nintendo of America senior director of corporate communications Charlie Scibetta after the announcement.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/06/nintendo-to-hold-wii-u-software-showcase-prior-to-e3/]

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
this actually seems like a better idea

of course it is a bit inconvenient to make people go to a different venue beforehand

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I hear both PS4 and The Next Box will have CPU architecture that will be most are more or less PC processors and will be very easy to program for while the Wii U still has its own proprietary CPU which I think may mean for little 3rd party support. That's going to be a problem.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
In terms of hours spent playing games, I have used my PC the most, followed by my Ps3 (maybe half as much), followed by my xbox 360 (maybe 1/4 as much as my PS3), followed by my Wii (half as much as my xbox360.....or 1/16th as much..if that, as my pc).

There were some good games for the Wii, and I have a ton of them left to play some day, but over all, it was the least played system of it's generation for me. I'm not buying a Wii U for a looong time.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Wake me up if they announce either a new Star Fox game, or a completely new IP that has any artistic merit. If not, I'm not interested.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Desert Punk said:
ohhh stupid Nintendo. People know the U is different from the Wii, people just dont want that out of date crap.
Then why are people still buying PS3/Xbox 360s? Why are people going to buy the PS4 and the next Xbox?

OT: Does this come as a surprise to anyone who actually cares about Nintendo? Nintendo direct has been doing presentations of upcoming games and presentation of features for their console at least once a month since the Wii U was released.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Desert Punk said:
Yopaz said:
Desert Punk said:
ohhh stupid Nintendo. People know the U is different from the Wii, people just dont want that out of date crap.
Then why are people still buying PS3/Xbox 360s? Why are people going to buy the PS4 and the next Xbox?

OT: Does this come as a surprise to anyone who actually cares about Nintendo? Nintendo direct has been doing presentations of upcoming games and presentation of features for their console at least once a month since the Wii U was released.
Because if people are going to buy out of date crap they might as well buy the hardware that has a massive library behind it, instead of the hardware with the smallest library. And people will buy the PS4 and Xbox for better next gen games.
Aah, I wasn't aware of the fact that there were any games for PS4 or the Next Xbox out. Can you tell me which games are a part of that massive library?

Edit: Also make up your mind. Do people care about new/outdated hardware or games?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
No, it's because it took Nintendo 5 months to realize that the Wii U is actually a game console.
Yopaz said:
Desert Punk said:
Yopaz said:
Desert Punk said:

Because if people are going to buy out of date crap they might as well buy the hardware that has a massive library behind it, instead of the hardware with the smallest library. And people will buy the PS4 and Xbox for better next gen games.
Aah, I wasn't aware of the fact that there were any games for PS4 or the Next Xbox out. Can you tell me which games are a part of that massive library?

Edit: Also make up your mind. Do people care about new/outdated hardware or games?
Stop being facetious. Just because the Wii U is out doesn't make the rest of this gen "outdated" especially considering the Xbox360 and the PS3 still outperform it. and by the way can you tell which games are currently part of the Wii-U's MASSIVE library?
No, the fact that the rest of the generation is using outdated hardware does that. The Wii U is severely outdated, but slightly less so than the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Also if you read my post, where exactly did I claim that the Wii U has massive library? The Wii U's library is really, really bad. It's fucking terrible to put it straight.

You are missing my point ENTIRELY so let me explain what I am trying to say.

Consoles have always had outdated in comparison to PCs, this doesn't matter though because a good many of us don't care about the hardware. The PS4 is already outdated, that still doesn't make me want it any less. The graphics card I am currently using is outdated by a few years and it still works like a charm and I would recommend it if someone was going to get their first gaming computer. Outdated doesn't mean undesirable like the guy I was originally quoting claims.

As for the game library argument. All I am saying there is that the PS4 and the next Xbox aren't out yet. There are no games for either of them. We know a little of what we might expect on the PS4, but nothing about the next Xbox. Claiming either of those have a massive game library is just plain stupid. They most likely will get one, but we don't know how long it will take for it to be called massive. It's in the future so I am sick of people claiming they know what WILL happen.

Now in the future can you do me the favour to READ THE POST YOU ARE QUOTING BEFORE YOU DISAGREE WITH IT?

Again I will repeat that I NEVER CLAIMED THE WII U HAS A MASSIVE GAME LIBRARY

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
The problem isn't that we don't know it's different - we're seeing the same problem the 3DS had: Very few titles worth buying. Admittedly, Ubisoft scumbagged Nintendo and decided to port Rayman Legends to the rest of the consoles, but still, we need more games for the Wii U.

The other problem is that they keep botching Virtual Console titles - the WiiU Virtual Console edition of Kirby's Adventure is laggy as hell, every other version is superior.

glitch388

Undeniable Logic
Feb 9, 2010
Just waiting for some Metroid/Legend of Zelda/Star Fox news. Or hell, a new F-Zero game would be kinda cool. Or like others have mentioned, maybe a brand new IP could be interesting. We shall see!!

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Steven Bogos said:

Opening remarks will be provided by NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime and Shigeru Miyamoto, with a gameplay and Q&A session to follow at 11. Nintendo promises the event will give journalists "the chance to get closer to the games through a unique hands-on experience".
Wait a minute.

It is a software showcase. With the press. Presented by Reggie. In the morning before the opening of E3.

Can someone please explain to me why this ... Presentation ... To the Press ... At E3 ... Isn't a Press Conference?!

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Steven Bogos said:

Opening remarks will be provided by NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime and Shigeru Miyamoto, with a gameplay and Q&A session to follow at 11. Nintendo promises the event will give journalists "the chance to get closer to the games through a unique hands-on experience".
Wait a minute.

It is a software showcase. With the press. Presented by Reggie. In the morning before the opening of E3.

Can someone please explain to me why this ... Presentation ... To the Press ... At E3 ... Isn't a Press Conference?!
Because it's not AT E3, which I think is supposed to be expensive?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
mew4ever23 said:
The problem isn't that we don't know it's different - we're seeing the same problem the 3DS had: Very few titles worth buying. Admittedly, Ubisoft scumbagged Nintendo and decided to port Rayman Legends to the rest of the consoles, but still, we need more games for the Wii U.

The other problem is that they keep botching Virtual Console titles - the WiiU VC edition Kirby's Adventure is laggy as hell, every other version is superior.
WE know that its different, but a vast number of the "casual" users they picked up with the Wii think that the tablet is a new controller for the wii that they have. I have had to explain tons of times that the U is completely new, more powerful, and outputs in HD through Hdmi. Ive even had one family member very butthurt that his arkham asylum didnt play in his wii. That U on the end really wasnt enough to distinguish it, and it is causing confusion. The library sucking doesnt help matters with folks like us, though

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You know, I wouldn't mind E3 press conferences going away all together.

Cringe worthy events, I say. Just release the trailers and have that be it.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
My points are bolded with my name. Too lazy to format this properly.

Yopaz said:
DVS BSTrD said:
No, it's because it took Nintendo 5 months to realize that the Wii U is actually a game console.
Yopaz said:
Desert Punk said:
Yopaz said:
Desert Punk said:

Azreal's point
Well the Gakai service certainly bumps up the PS4's accessible library significantly, especially when compared to the Wii U's virtual console. No idea about the next box and frankly don't care, but that's my personal opinion. The PS4's launch actually looks to have a decent line up for titles. That's the advantage of a console that doesn't need to rely on 20+ year old franchises to sell units. Especially when the spinoffs (New Super Mario Bros U) can't step up to the plate of becoming a system seller.
No, the fact that the rest of the generation is using outdated hardware does that. The Wii U is severely outdated, but slightly less so than the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Also if you read my post, where exactly did I claim that the Wii U has massive library? The Wii U's library is really, really bad. It's fucking terrible to put it straight.

You are missing my point ENTIRELY so let me explain what I am trying to say.

Consoles have always had outdated in comparison to PCs, this doesn't matter though because a good many of us don't care about the hardware. The PS4 is already outdated, that still doesn't make me want it any less. The graphics card I am currently using is outdated by a few years and it still works like a charm and I would recommend it if someone was going to get their first gaming computer. Outdated doesn't mean undesirable like the guy I was originally quoting claims.
Azreal's Point
I think Desert Punk's point here is that the Wii U being a new console that is already outdated by the previous generation is a turn off. Which it it. Desert Punk also never brought PCs into the conversation. You're right about consoles being behind PCs in hardware, but that point shows little relevance in this subject. We're comparing consoles to consoles here. So in that context Desert Punk is right, outdated does mean undesirable when the spanking new console is being out performed by 2 other consoles that are 7+ years old.

As for the game library argument. All I am saying there is that the PS4 and the next Xbox aren't out yet. There are no games for either of them. We know a little of what we might expect on the PS4, but nothing about the next Xbox. Claiming either of those have a massive game library is just plain stupid. They most likely will get one, but we don't know how long it will take for it to be called massive. It's in the future so I am sick of people claiming they know what WILL happen.

Now in the future can you do me the favour to READ THE POST YOU ARE QUOTING BEFORE YOU DISAGREE WITH IT?

Again I will repeat that I NEVER CLAIMED THE WII U HAS A MASSIVE GAME LIBRARY
Easy there Rage McGee...

When did anyone claim that the PS4 or Next Box had a massive library? Never. Now calm down and get that foot out of your mouth. Legs aren't meant to bend that way.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
You know, I wouldn't mind E3 press conferences going away all together.

Cringe worthy events, I say. Just release the trailers and have that be it.
Makes too much money from ticket sales. Hotels love it too. E3 has become useless though, but there should be a big gaming only event. I think it should be more like FanExpo or Comic Con, but focused on games. Have the developers in a panel that can be interacted with by the crowd. That's the problem with E3, the executives of the big 3 don't ever have to answer to the consumers, and are really only there to talk to investors. I'd make more sense to get some opinions from actual customers.