No Built-in VOIP For Star Wars: Battlefront PC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No Built-in VOIP For Star Wars: Battlefront PC

Star Wars: Battlefront on PC will lack any kind of built-in voice chat.

The official beta promotion [https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/653732475718385664], and we have sadly just learned that the PC version of the game will lack any kind of built-in voice chat. "You can choose your favorite third party software to communicate with friends on PC," replied EA when a fan asked about the feature.

While it is true that most serious PC gamers usually default to 3rd party apps like TeamSpeak [http://www.ventrilo.com/] for their VOIP needs, the lack of an in-game options means that to talk with strangers in the game, you'll have to resort to text-based communication.

EA later confirmed that the console version of Battlefront will utilize the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One built-in party system for in-game chat.

While this is kind of disappointing, my time with the Battlefront beta has led me to believe that this won't make too much of a difference. With a lack of squads and features like the commander, it has a very "every man for himself" kind of feel. Still, the lack of a feature is still the lack of a feature, and as Battlefield 4 had its own built-in voice chat, it is a step backwards.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/653732475718385664]

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
Who ever was in charge of this game's PR department should be fired or just stop answering questions. The game might be "okay-ish-probaly-terrible" but we don't know what the game has, just what it doesn't, which is apparently everything. The game has the worse marking I have ever seen but I guess it is better then lying to us about that is has. At least they are up front about what the game is lacking. Hopefully it is still a fun game though. I mean, I can hope right.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
To be honest, I don't think this will affect PC users. From my experience with both BF3 and 4, hardly anyone uses it over the text chat.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
How many PC gamers really use in game chat? There are much better 3rd party programs out there. I used TeamSpeak and I prefer that over any in game chat. Plus I am kinda happy about this because now I won't have the mute the people that do use it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
it seems that every time i hear anything about this game it is what this game doesnt have instead of what it does. i had to go look up actual gameplay on youtube to even find out what it does have. which is, not much. looks like a watered down battlefield with star war graphics and weapons. they even kept the regenerating health.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Alright, how many of you PC users out there were actually planning on using your mic in public play with random idiots? None? Ok.

For those who wish to cooperate with friends over voice, the built-in voice chat in Origin works fine, as should any other third party client or software.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Wait... are we considering VoIP a feature we should want? It's not in there? GOOD! Saves me the trouble of figuring out how to disable it, and all the know-it-alls or shit talkers that use it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Strazdas said:
it seems that every time i hear anything about this game it is what this game doesnt have instead of what it does. i had to go look up actual gameplay on youtube to even find out what it does have. which is, not much. looks like a watered down battlefield with star war graphics and weapons. they even kept the regenerating health.
I like the video of Luke Skywalker being stepped on by an AT-AT.

OT; So no Single Player, no Voip, no space missions (at launch, if at all, will probably cost you [it is EA])...

I am not seeing anything beyond casual interest for most people, and considering the track record of EA's Day 1 launches (in general too), I don't think that it is going to get rave reviews, maybe it'll improve. Maybe it'll be a decent game after a few months.

Daelin Dwin

Accidentally Prescient
Feb 3, 2014
Squilookle said:
For everyone who thinks the upcoming Battlefront is their last hope...

No.

The fact this game never got a decent sequel after 10 years is still a mystery for the ages.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
NLS said:
Alright, how many of you PC users out there were actually planning on using your mic in public play with random idiots? None? Ok.

For those who wish to cooperate with friends over voice, the built-in voice chat in Origin works fine, as should any other third party client or software.
I don't know why people seem to think this is the case, but a lot of people use in game voice.

Load up a TF2 match and tell me how many servers have no one using voip. The answer is generally going to be 0. Play a game of PS2 and tell me how often you're in a squad/company that aren't using voip. The answer, again, is 0.

Voip is extraordinarily helpful and extraordinarily good to have in a FPS. Having someone who knows what they're doing being able to helpfully direct people who have no idea what they're doing is immeasurably helpful.

Not only that, but the lack of Voip (and any sort of talking commands) made the game feel lonely as shit. No one talked. The characters didn't talk. The players didn't talk. The chat function was incredibly shit. You had 20 people on your team and 40 people total in the map and no one said a friggin word. I should not be surrounded by 39 other people and feel completely isolated because the game doesn't give me ways to communicate with other players.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Honestly, I don't care too much, most games that have voice chat I just turn off immediately, all the same it is a feature some people use and it speaks volumes about how lazy EA and Dice are being when it comes to this game

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm torn on this. First, I probably wouldn't use it if I were playing with friends. That also means you can avoid the guy who mouth breathes through his mic, which is a damn blessing in my book.

That said, when I'm playing without friends, typing messages isn't much of an option to be honest. They simply should have had a toggle to turn the built in on or off and let people decide on a game by game basis.

Realistically, the need to choose to have or not have this could easily be fixed by them not allowing voice activation over the mic. It should always be push to talk.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
shintakie10 said:
NLS said:

I don't know why people seem to think this is the case, but a lot of people use in game voice.

Load up a TF2 match and tell me how many servers have no one using voip. The answer is generally going to be 0. Play a game of PS2 and tell me how often you're in a squad/company that aren't using voip. The answer, again, is 0.

Voip is extraordinarily helpful and extraordinarily good to have in a FPS. Having someone who knows what they're doing being able to helpfully direct people who have no idea what they're doing is immeasurably helpful.

Not only that, but the lack of Voip (and any sort of talking commands) made the game feel lonely as shit. No one talked. The characters didn't talk. The players didn't talk. The chat function was incredibly shit. You had 20 people on your team and 40 people total in the map and no one said a friggin word. I should not be surrounded by 39 other people and feel completely isolated because the game doesn't give me ways to communicate with other players.
same with Red Orchestra.

but apparently they pulled the Red Orchestra like parts of the gameplay (I know it was in the original battlefront but that's what I compare it to) which makes them feel it is obsolete

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
shintakie10 said:
NLS said:

I didn't want to think it was a big deal but... Yea, this is a good point. I'm really only getting it for the co-op survival mode so this won't effect me too much but the empty feeling... Yea, you just had to go ahead and make me reevaluate my position on this didn't you?

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013

Seriously wtf? Yea my friends and I use Skype and shit to talk to each other, but when you're playing in a team game its still nice for quick voice chat with teammates even if I have to mute an idiot from time to time. Its kind of hard to co-ordinate ANYTHING over text chat in a timely manner. This is just ridiculous.