GestaltEsper said:
monkeymangler said:
Josh123914 said:
Kaimax said:
Tony2077 said:
Kaimax said:
Tony2077 said:
i don't see any reason to get so upset over this like some people are
Because the last game had Dual Audio, that's enough to get people riled up.
well you won't see me doing that considering one of the anime series i own has completely different va's in season 2 from season 1
Your case is not comparable though, as yours is not an removal/omission, but simply a substitution. Previous game (Awakening) has shown that they didn't have any problem including the Japanese audio files, even though it was slightly buggy to activate it and the fact that Awakening was actually going to be "the last" fire Emblem if it didn't sell well.

The omission here doesn't make sense, even economically it doesn't make sense (Awakening was a huge hit). That's why some people raise their voices.

I'm personally disappointed that I can't hear Miyuki Sawashiro in this localization, without downloading the voice files/watch youtube/import the Japanese copy.
And also IIRC Awakening games came packaged with Japanese, English, Korean, Italian, Spanish and French (and perhaps more). Removing Japanese as a language seems totally unnecessary to me.

Also, according to /vg/ the English VAs this time around are terrible, so Japanese may have been the preferred option for a lot of players anyway.
considering /vg considers all dub to be the worst thing ever created by the hands of mankind, I would take that with a grain of salt.

Rena Strober and DC Douglas are top end talent, Liam O'Brien, Matt Mercer, and Stephanie Sheh are consistently solid, and those are just the ones we know at the point.
I agree. I tend to like most English VA's I hear nowadays, and even the ones I personally dislike I can admit to when they've done a good job (ie. Steve Staley as Hubert Ozwell in Tales of Graces). By the way, who are Liam, Matt and Stephanie playing. I mean...I assume Liam's Lazlow, but is he anyone else?
All we have for them are Twitter posts from them saying they are on the cast. NDA prevents them from saying which ones, but it will be a return for O'Brien and Sheh.
...I am now slapping myself for forgetting who Stephanie Sheh was. Even paired her with my Avatar in my most recent playthrough.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Between this and the lack of petting people on their face the weeb audience must be leaving in droves.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
monkeymangler said:
Dreiko said:
Hero of Lime said:
Wow, the way people talk about all the "cuts" it makes you think Fire Emblem is a Waifu Sim with much needed Japanese voice acting. Like, does no one play FE for the SRPG? The tactics? The story? Besides, the English voice acting in Awakening was fantastic. I'm sure Fates has fitting voices too.

The game should not be any lesser just because I can't grope my soldiers, or hear them speak Japanese.

Sorry to come out the gate swinging, but good lord, there is so much to these games, that a few annoying cuts should not make it unplayable.
The story is what is most hampered by the lack of voices in the original language they intended the story to be told in.
Unless you are Japanese, or can speak Japanese with perfect fluency... BULL CRAP

Would subtitles be "hampering the story"? Because it doesn't directly translate between English and Japanese?
I've studied for over a decade now, so yep. Check last page for more details, I wrote a few things about this notion of demands of fluency you kinda need to read.

Subtitles often, when done well, are fine. If they Americanize stuff, it's a dissonant feeinlg, so it varies from game to game. If it's too dissonant I just don't read them.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Oh boy, I can see that the removal of the petting is still scarring people... and not just the people who cared about it.
Personally, the petting, whatever, I would have felt awkward doing that. Still, I can see why people would want it in. Interaction, immersion, sense of accuracy to the original version, and other stuff.

Now this... this is different.
I, myself, first played with the English VAs. They were fine, did a fine job on the translations, sure, some voices I couldn't take, but I got over that. The same will happen for this. Still, it nerves me. After finishing my first playthrough on Awakening, I did another with the Japanese VAs. I have a preference for them, so I thought the experience was a little more immersive, plus it adds more variety, and I get to see the characters in a new life.

So, naturally, this slightly annoys me.
Can I get over it? Yes.
Will it be a (small) loss? Yes.

I can see why it has been left out, the original has the petting game and the sexual lines. Hey, I wouldn't have mind that, just like how I could take the petting if it was left in. Still, it's NoA's decision, so I can't exactly do much about it. In the end, I feel a little sad that I won't get to see the characters differently in my second game. HECK, I don't know if I'll even do a second game (especially since there are three campaigns).

I'm tempted to cancel my pre-order (I know, I know, I shouldn't, but I wanted all three games) and see how the game gets reviewed. Although, knowing the small space of my 3DS, I'll probably keep it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, even if these features are removed.

EDIT:
Okay, after looking up the Fire Emblem reddit and opening a Youtube video.
Apparently they have a neat little event instead of the petting... but for your "waifu/husbando."
Then someone in the comments said that the petting is still in there, but under certain conditions. I have no idea, but if that first idea is right, I'll like that. (More than the random petting, that's for sure.)

Never mind about that last remark, I'm still looking forward to it. :p

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok just how much more they are going to reedit/ censor or removed from the game?

In saying so however I had only ever played Awakenning in Dub. It never occur to me to try the Sub versions (I had no problem with the dub voices).