no easy mode in re4 hd?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Yopaz said:
I remember that I thought the easy mode was too easy, the normal being fair, but a tad too easy, the professional mode being extremely hard at times, then easy at others.
The QTEs on Professional were fucking brutal. The el Gigante 'jump on his back and knife the parasite' move is so fucking clutch in that mode I'd always screw it up. It had a larger pension to switch up the mash button, and just one second of delay and he'd just grab you and smash you into the dirt.
Yeah, I remember struggling the most against Krouser though. Especially the boss fight against him. I also struggled waaaaaaay too much against the village chief. Sadly I never made it past Krouser.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yopaz said:
Yeah, I remember struggling the most against Krouser though. Especially the boss fight against him. I also struggled waaaaaaay too much against the village chief. Sadly I never made it past Krouser.
Krauser is actually supposedly really easy even on Pro if you just knife him when he gets close. It does a huge amount of damage to him for some reason and stuns him, too. I haven't tried it out yet myself, but I remember a while back talking about how it took an hour for me to beat him on Pro, dying constantly, and then someone on the forum here stating that he's a push-over if you just use the knife.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Yopaz said:
Krauser is actually supposedly really easy even on Pro if you just knife him when he gets close. It does a huge amount of damage to him for some reason and stuns him, too. I haven't tried it out yet myself, but I remember a while back talking about how it took an hour for me to beat him on Pro, dying constantly, and then someone on the forum here stating that he's a push-over if you just use the knife.
Well, theoretically this is true. I don't remember exactly how much damage it was, but a knife in the face was by far the most effective way to damage him, but actually managing to hit before he hit you was the challenge in that tactic. I tried with the knife trick, but I still found it hard.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
crazygameguy4ever said:
but i never did well with normal mode on the gamecube release without using the action replay cheat disc system so i doubt i'll get far here either which sucks
crazygameguy4ever said:
Ambient_Malice said:
I can't help but wonder whether you're playing the game wrong. RE4 isn't a particularly difficult game in the early stages.
the original version wasn't hard.. i've beaten the gamecube version on all the difficulty levels,
You said in your first post that you could only beat it on normal with an Action Replay. Now you go on to say the original version wasn't hard. Umm....what?

And if you couldn't do normal without AR, how can your counter argument that you "beat" all difficulties in original hold any water if you could only do them with overpowered cheat codes?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Fun Fact: It is actually entirely possible to go through the entire village without ever entering the house with the shotgun. It's pretty stupid to not get it but, I honestly didn't see any reason to have to go into that specific house the first time I ever played.
Yes, but the real challenge is playing on professional, getting the second chainsaw guy who sits up the path out of the village dead, then going into the house with the shotgun and killing the cutscene chainsaw guy as well so that you get the money drops from both of them (a ruby and 30,000 cash iirc, which are the exact same value).

I may have played through the game a few dozen times.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
4 times? You only tried the part 4 times? I think people usually try something dozen of times trying different things untill they call something "too hard". Maybe you are doing something wrong, try a different tactic etc. Giving up after only 4 times seems a bit odd.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
ITT: RE4 Professionals.

elvor0 said:
You said in your first post that you could only beat it on normal with an Action Replay. Now you go on to say the original version wasn't hard. Umm....what?

And if you couldn't do normal without AR, how can your counter argument that you "beat" all difficulties in original hold any water if you could only do them with overpowered cheat codes?
Well, if going by really specific words, him not doing good in the normal mode might not technically mean the game is hard, just he doesn't do very well at it. Yeah I don't get it either.

tstorm823 said:
Yes, but the real challenge is playing on professional, getting the second chainsaw guy who sits up the path out of the village dead, then going into the house with the shotgun and killing the cutscene chainsaw guy as well so that you get the money drops from both of them (a ruby and 30,000 cash iirc, which are the exact same value).

I may have played through the game a few dozen times.
Sounds like you're approaching triple digit level of playthroughs. Welcome to the club where S.T.A.R.S. comes to beat our ass.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
crazygameguy4ever said:
Ambient_Malice said:
I can't help but wonder whether you're playing the game wrong. RE4 isn't a particularly difficult game in the early stages.
the original version wasn't hard.. i've beaten the gamecube version on all the difficulty levels, but this "HD" version is relentlessly difficult with bullet sponge enemies and leon's jittery aiming of his guns like he's downed a case of rockstar energy drink just prior to his rescue mission... also, i think capcom took the hard difficulty level from the gamecube version and renamed it normal to fool and piss off gamers
Or you just suck at RE4. Seriously, normal mode is still not tough to beat. Also the gameplay (outside of how much damage you do/ take) is the exact same. Honestly I don't know what the point of this thread is, just to complain about the game being too hard?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Yopaz said:
That is very true, and it was actually the only way I ended up beating him. I kept panicking so much because of the time limit that I just couldn't get it done. Then my friend told about it and I tried it. Holy cow, does he become a pushover.

My theory on why this works so well is because Kauser keeps bringing his knife out. Over and over and over, in pretty much every cutscene. You even have the Quick Time battle with him using your knife. He says, "You and I both know where we come from" while showing that knife. So I like to think that the developers were trying to tell players, "Look, you want to smack this guy easy? Use the knife."
Of course this is probably wishful thinking on my part, but it's what I go with.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
crazygameguy4ever said:
i just tried playing it again and i died 4 times in the area where you encounter all the villagers and find one of your drivers burned at the stake... it's so brutally hard i couldn't get past it even after 4 deaths.. i never have that problem my gamecube copy of the game. so i deleted the game from my PS3.. glad it came bundled with Code Veronica and i got them for like $10 when the PS Store had a flash sale last year
In that part you just need to survive for a certain amount of time. You can get into one of the houses and block the door with something (a cabinet I think), go up a floor, and shoot enemies that try to get through the windows. Just let them come to you and make every shot count by aiming for the head. I also think that there should be a shotgun in that building.

Make sure to look for extra herbs and ammo wherever you go since you can never have too much. Good luck.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Battenberg said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Ambient_Malice said:
the original version wasn't hard.. i've beaten the gamecube version on all the difficulty levels, but this "HD" version is relentlessly difficult with bullet sponge enemies and leon's jittery aiming of his guns like he's downed a case of rockstar energy drink just prior to his rescue mission... also, i think capcom took the hard difficulty level from the gamecube version and renamed it normal to fool and piss off gamers
Or you just suck at RE4. Seriously, normal mode is still not tough to beat. Also the gameplay (outside of how much damage you do/ take) is the exact same. Honestly I don't know what the point of this thread is, just to complain about the game being too hard?
no.. i'm really good at RE4.. i beat RE4 on gamecube on all difficult levels, it's just that the ps3 port was ramped up to unplayable difficultly levls

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
crazygameguy4ever said:
i never did well with normal mode on the gamecube release without using the action replay cheat disc system
crazygameguy4ever said:
no.. i'm really good at RE4.. i beat RE4 on gamecube on all difficult levels, it's just that the ps3 port was ramped up to unplayable difficultly levls
Seems legit. OK so perhaps the problem is not that you're awful at RE4 so much as that you're talking out your arse. Or both. Probably both.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
chadachada123 said:
Sorry OP, but I grew up with the Gamecube version, and I don't remember an easy mode ever existing.
madwarper said:
As someone who owns both GC and Wii versions of RE4, there never was any "easy mode". So, they couldn't have "removed" what was never there to begin with.
There actually was an easy mode, but likely only on the PAL version. It omitted certain sections, like the dog maze and the little area where you need to get the key to open the doors to the main hall of the castle where you first meet Salazar.
just to confirm that I played the Wii PAL version and it had an easy setting. I didn't notice a difference in gameplay to normal but yes I believe it omitted the wolf maze and potentially the bell tower? Not the scene defending the hut I think but I could be wrong. But pretty sure it didn't cut down on regenerators or make the Ashley section or on rails bits any easier ... Weird setting really.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
If you're having difficult with the village, just run away. You only have to survive so long, and if you get cornered, shoot a dude in the face and do the kick, you'll get more space. Also, you don't have to go into the house, which just brings in mr. chainsaw.

If you survive, well, you can go get the shotgun after the battle and never have to deal with mr one shot kill.

But, no. The HD remake is made with the PS2 version in mind, I believe, so it's naturally a bit more difficult. The Playstation 2 version of the game was harder and had more secrets and things, but it was intentionally stepped up from the gamecube original.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Chaos Isaac said:
If you're having difficult with the village, just run away. You only have to survive so long, and if you get cornered, shoot a dude in the face and do the kick, you'll get more space. Also, you don't have to go into the house, which just brings in mr. chainsaw.

If you survive, well, you can go get the shotgun after the battle and never have to deal with mr one shot kill.

But, no. The HD remake is made with the PS2 version in mind, I believe, so it's naturally a bit more difficult. The Playstation 2 version of the game was harder and had more secrets and things, but it was intentionally stepped up from the gamecube original.
I call BS on this. It had separate ways and a couple more costumes and weapons. And less responsive controls. So, yea, that might make it more difficult. Oterwise the PS2 version looked muddy as hell. They may have actually had to reduce the enemy count here and there for the ps2 to be able to handle it.

I do remember reading it had some balancing issues with the ammo drops. So you could potentially run out of ammo easily on normal. Apparently there was plenty of ammo on pro ...

p.s. the part about running away long enough is true :)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
crazygameguy4ever said:
But...but!

crazygameguy4ever said:
but i never did well with normal mode on the gamecube release without using the action replay cheat disc system so i doubt i'll get far here either
*head explodes*