No Flash Support For Nintendo 3DS Browser

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Honestly I don't care that much, I'm getting a 3DS for the proper retail games, not for the internet flash games.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Are you outraged by this inexcusable omission, or would you never have noticed it if someone hadn't brought it to your attention?"

Outraged, obviously.
And not one pico-ounce surprised either :(

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I just dont get the why of this either but hey i dont care, I have an HTC Desire S and already 'Spectral Souls' has been ported over intact from the PSP and runs really well even on older phones. I think the mobile phone market may end up absorbing a large portion of handheld gaming over the next decade or so anyway so imo Nintendo should be giving its 3DS all the functionality they can fit into it to increase its lifespan.

Yokijirou

Apr 9, 2008
Trying to think of the last time a played a Flash based game on my computer, then had it taken away from me by me leaving my computer, then complained about not being able to play it...while having a full fledged gaming system in my hand....Let's see....

Oh yeah, never happened. Like the Rapture ;).

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Probably a good idea as I hear the Mobile version of Flash is an unoptimized pile of shit.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Jonci said:
Bad move, Nintendo. Don't this companies ever pay attention the failures of others (ie Apple's iPhone).
Please tell me you're being facetious. Apple's iphone is a massive success and it's app market rakes in crap loads of cash. This wouldn't be the case if all those wonderful flash games were available for free. Which is the exact reason behind Nintendo's exclusion of flash on their system.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
Sigh. I got screwed over by Motorola when I signed up for a 2-year contract to get their Motorola Dext / Cliq since they wont upgrade the phone beyond 1.5 outside of N. America. I was really hoping that the 3DS would catch a break and let me stream videos from youtube and watch stuff on Crunchyroll / Escapist etc.

Oh well, I still love the console though.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I don't think my first question would be "Why doesn't the 3DS have flash support?" I think it would be "Why the hell did you buy a 3DS?"
idk why they would buy a 3DS. I would think that the reason would be to keep up with Nintendo's side of the handheld market but that's absurd, they obviously bought it for 3D and flash!

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I could care less if I can't see videos or play internet games on my 3DS. Who would use the 3DS for internet more than gaming anyway?

Greenie3

Nov 25, 2010
JoJoDeathunter said:
Honestly I don't care that much, I'm getting a 3DS for the proper retail games, not for the internet flash games.
EXACTLY! I don't want to play some crappy internet game, all I want to do is watch Youtube on the go!

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
With no Flash included in their web browser, you wouldn't even be able to browse the majority of Nintendo's websites, because they're all bloated flash sites. Oh the irony.

Regularly I'm not bothered by the exclusion of Flash on a device until I'm trying to grab a restaurant menu from their website and its all Flash and pdf based. Then I don't get made at the device; I get mad at the website for being utterly useless.

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I bought my 3DS in order to play proper games, not browse the internet and play crappy flash games.

Rontothehills

May 19, 2011
Andy Chalk said:

In March, president Satoru Iwata said the game industry is "drowning" in cheap, crappy games churned out and playable on multiple platforms, including handhelds. "These platforms have no motivation to maintain the value of the game," he told his audience at the 2011 Game Developers Conference. "Quantity is how they profit. The value of software does not matter to them."
Am I the only one that thinks the whole "Drowning in cheap games" thing comes off as a little hypocritical? Sure its hard to find a quality game on any platform sometimes, but none so difficult as a Nintendo console! Look at the mountainous, obscene mass of shovelware that reaches store shelves for the Wii! Yet they continue to put up the facade of a "quality" gaming platform.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I suspect Nintendo isn't interested in re-writing flash player from scratch so it is optimized on their hardware.

Flash doesn't make ninty any money, why should they bother?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
What say you, 3DS owners? Are you outraged by this inexcusable omission, or would you never have noticed it if someone hadn't brought it to your attention?
Never would have noticed if you didn't tell me. Getting a game system for an internet browser is a terrible idea as always. The DS browser sucked. The PSP browser sucked. The 3DS browser will suck, and I'll never use it just like the DS and PSP browsers. And it's a game platform, not a smartphone or tablet, so I don't care that the browser sucks.

Rontothehills said:
Am I the only one that thinks the whole "Drowning in cheap games" thing comes off as a little hypocritical? Sure its hard to find a quality game on any platform sometimes, but none so difficult as a Nintendo console! Look at the mountainous, obscene mass of shovelware that reaches store shelves for the Wii! Yet they continue to put up the facade of a "quality" gaming platform.
Yes, there is a mountain of shovelware for Wii. But none of it is made by Nintendo (it's mostly Ubisoft's shit). Hence, no hypocrisy.

nifedj

Nov 12, 2009
That's kind of interesting, I wouldn't have thought that games on the 3DS would really be in competition with free flash games... Actually, I can see it if there's loads of shovelware. Which, unfortunately, is likely.

The reason this worked for the iPhone is that the people developing for iOS are the same kind of people who would develop flash games - by creating the App Store, Apple motivated them to create games for their platform. This allowed consumers to more easily find out what's worth playing and also made quite a lot of money for Apple and successful devs. With the 3DS, though, I want high quality full price retail games - not loads more examples of the stuff I have on my phone.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Greenie3 said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
EXACTLY! I don't want to play some crappy internet game, all I want to do is watch Youtube on the go!
Um... I think you need Flash to be able to watch YouTube... Or will this thing support HTML5?

My original thought was, "Oh goody, another device with a crippled browser because all you hippie corporations don't like Adobe. Like I needed another reason not to buy the 3DS (or the iPad, for that matter)."

But on a side note, I'm beginning to see Adobe as that super-cool kid in high school that's also incredibly stuck-up. He's got nice clothes and a fancy car (Flash) but if you want to hang out with him you'd better be really popular (have a fast processor and lots of RAM) or he'll just start making fun of you (crash your browser every five seconds).

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Rontothehills said:
Andy Chalk said:

In March, president Satoru Iwata said the game industry is "drowning" in cheap, crappy games churned out and playable on multiple platforms, including handhelds. "These platforms have no motivation to maintain the value of the game," he told his audience at the 2011 Game Developers Conference. "Quantity is how they profit. The value of software does not matter to them."
But see, the diffrence is that they do it right. Somehow. All those crapy games for the Wii are diffrent because they are a real company. Someway.
Stop asking questions!

I haven't touched my Wii in over a year now. And what happened over a year ago? I got an 360.

There is far to much shovelware out for Nintendo systems that they sell and they have finally gotten their comeuppance.

OT: Even if it did have it, I doubt I would buy a 3DS at this point.