No G.I. Joe For Movie Critics

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
cobra_ky said:
SendMeNoodz84 said:
Doesn't this movie have Damon Wayans? For that fact alone, anybody who thought this movie was going to be good deserves a slap in the face. Damon Wayans: Failure.
it's marlon, not damon. i'm not sure if that's higher or lower on the Wayans scale of bad acting.
Definitely lower.
Damon is just depressing. Marlon is embarrassingly bad.
Yea, when I heard he was in it, I knew this would be terrible. Until then I held some hope mostly because I found Transformers to be pretty entertaining.
idk, i completely forgot marlon was in requiem for a dream. it's not good to have any one of them.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Spinwhiz said:
I really hope they don't ruin a show I loved growing up as a child. *sigh*
I think you (and I) are in for a lot of disappointment, my friend. It looks like they dumped the entire core concept of G.I. Joe- dedicated people with distinct personalities and abilities- in favor of Crysis exoskeletons "Accelerator suits" and fancy effects. I'd expect another U.S.-centric jingoistic propaganda piece on par with Independence Day- pretty to look at, but about as nutritious for your brain as the popcorn will be for your stomach.

Seriously, can Hollywood stop raping beloved classic concepts and just start making "Explosions and CGI: The Movie"? The $5000 they save on licensing fees could be spent on making some innocuous background prop blow up.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
paypuh said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
paypuh said:
Considering movie critics tend to be hard on films based on former cartoons, games, comic books, basically anything not familiar with them, they tend to give it bad reviews. I hardly see a movie when it's in theaters anyways, but if I hear it's decent after the first couple of days, I might consider seeing it. I always liked G.I. Joe.
Considering movie creators tend to make shtty films on films based on former cartoons, games, comic books, basically anything that has a cheap or cash'in'able IP........

Out of all the films I have seen in the last 4 or so years Hell boy and Star trek were the best, Dark night was good,Iron man, Incredible Hulk was, The Mummy 3, POTC 3 were ok.

Ya I know I like the mummy but LAOTH transformers.... how the hell can I live with myself *rolls eyes*

=======
Lets see characters are a bit.... off, the fiction relies to heavily on tech(personal generic suits....oh gawd this is Xmen all over again ><...ya..I hated Xmen....).

So will you get a mix of star ship troopers and transformers lets just hope its not "2+2"....the world could not handle it....
Well, that's your opinion. I enjoy good movies, but I have an affection towards really cheesy movies, which is what most nerd media spin offs tend to be. Probably because they require no thinking, just pointing and laughing at the horrible cinematics.

So all in all, I can like a movie you loathe. I hope you are okay with that.
Cheese can be good Dragon ball evolution was not that bad....worse than MK1 better than MK2 0-o

People can like what they like but I always tell them you activity support crappy films/games the industry will will stop shoving and start doing it by the dump truck load!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
The Rogue Wolf said:
Spinwhiz said:
I really hope they don't ruin a show I loved growing up as a child. *sigh*
I think you (and I) are in for a lot of disappointment, my friend. It looks like they dumped the entire core concept of G.I. Joe- dedicated people with distinct personalities and abilities- in favor of Crysis exoskeletons "Accelerator suits" and fancy effects. I'd expect another U.S.-centric jingoistic propaganda piece on par with Independence Day- pretty to look at, but about as nutritious for your brain as the popcorn will be for your stomach.

Seriously, can Hollywood stop raping beloved classic concepts and just start making "Explosions and CGI: The Movie"? The $5000 they save on licensing fees could be spent on making some innocuous background prop blow up.
Only independence day was good..........

Low Key

May 7, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
paypuh said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
paypuh said:
Considering movie critics tend to be hard on films based on former cartoons, games, comic books, basically anything not familiar with them, they tend to give it bad reviews. I hardly see a movie when it's in theaters anyways, but if I hear it's decent after the first couple of days, I might consider seeing it. I always liked G.I. Joe.
Considering movie creators tend to make shtty films on films based on former cartoons, games, comic books, basically anything that has a cheap or cash'in'able IP........

Out of all the films I have seen in the last 4 or so years Hell boy and Star trek were the best, Dark night was good,Iron man, Incredible Hulk was, The Mummy 3, POTC 3 were ok.

Ya I know I like the mummy but LAOTH transformers.... how the hell can I live with myself *rolls eyes*

=======
Lets see characters are a bit.... off, the fiction relies to heavily on tech(personal generic suits....oh gawd this is Xmen all over again ><...ya..I hated Xmen....).

So will you get a mix of star ship troopers and transformers lets just hope its not "2+2"....the world could not handle it....
Well, that's your opinion. I enjoy good movies, but I have an affection towards really cheesy movies, which is what most nerd media spin offs tend to be. Probably because they require no thinking, just pointing and laughing at the horrible cinematics.

Cheese can be good Dragon ball evolution was not that bad....worse than MK1 better than MK2 0-o

People can like what they like but I always tell them you activity support crappy films/games the industry will will stop shoving and start doing it by the dump truck load!
I agree. That's why I don't usually see movies in theaters, I wait until I can see them on the movie channels on TV. If I truly support the movie, I go buy the DVD.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Considering the public managed to like Transformers enough to give it a sequel, or that Aliens vs. Predator gets made, or Transformers Salvation or any number of "Scary Movie" spoofs...

Something tells me this bad movie will do well enough that it gets a terrible sequel too. Ultimately the stupid people rule the entertainment industry.

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
Well according to Rotten Tomatoes [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gi_joe/], the movie is pretty good. It has collected more than just the reviews from the fan-boy sites. Maybe I am missing something here...

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
According to this link, provided by RottenTomatoes, a sequel was already being planned before this one even came out in theaters.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/g-i-joe-is-locked-for-a-sequel-sommers-talks-firing-rumor-7450

Make of it what you will...

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
paypuh said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
paypuh said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
paypuh said:

=======

I agree. That's why I don't usually see movies in theaters, I wait until I can see them on the movie channels on TV. If I truly support the movie, I go buy the DVD.
I hope your smart and get them for under 15$ never pay retail price for anything, I don't and I save a ton of money...it almsot makes up for the hardware I buy :p.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
Is it unwatchable bad, or Transformers 2 bad? (and by that I mean no plot, but very shiny and fun to watch)

Low Key

May 7, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
I hope your smart and get them for under 15$ never pay retail price for anything, I don't and I save a ton of money...it almsot makes up for the hardware I buy :p.
The bargain bin at Wal-Mart is my spot. I can't remember the last movie I bought for full price. I'm so cheap, you'd think I was an accountant.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Fuck critics, seriously. Bunch of jerk-offs that blast their opinion out and get paid for it while theirs is only one opinion among billions.

If this movie contains nothing but that which is in the tralier, I will see it and love it.

Let's see...
Missiles... check
power armour... check
explosions... check
fucking ninjas!... check
Eiffel Tower destroyed... check

Yep, awesome.

Listen boys and girls, actions movies are about fun and explosions. They aren't about heartwarming plots or any advanced thought process, it's about FUN, and fun is GOOD.

Jul 31, 2009
The movie really isn't that bad.
It's wrong. Very wrong. And there are scenes where you felt the audience wanted to collectively slap their forehead. But it's okay! It's G.I.Joe! What's there to expect except wrongness? It's like an eight year old playing with toys. It's wrong added with cheesy dialogs.It's fun!

The critics would tear it down though. I think they made a good call not to give them screeners.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
Commander Breetai said:
afaceforradio said:
Is it unwatchable bad, or Transformers 2 bad? (and by that I mean no plot, but very shiny and fun to watch)
I'll repeat that this movie was made by the guy who made The Mummy and then decided it needed two sequels. I'll let you reach your own conclusion.
Well y'see I rather enjoyed the first two Mummy movies, but indicative of your tone I'll go with eye-numbingly bad ;o)

Hikikomori Ookami

Jun 26, 2009
If you have doubts and can't make up your mind about going, or don't like the power suits, or it's one little thing, anything besides not having money, I say go to the movie. You won't be disappointed.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
I grew up watching the cartoons - happened to catch the movie Friday night while we're in Darwin (good times!). I actually liked it. I think they spent too much time on some of the backstory on each character - almost like they were rushed for time to cram in as much as they could. I really hope they make a sequel.

Those of you who are prejudging the film without having seen it? I guess it's like that old saying about a book and its cover. That, or you just aren't old enough to have been a big GI JOE fan back in the day.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
It has about a 38% on Rotten Tomatoes if I remember correctly. Didn't check the user reviews though.

EDIT: The user reviews are actually pretty decent. Around 60%.