No 'Him' or 'Her' in Preschool. Wait, what?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Chicago Ted said:
lacktheknack said:
DERP.

This reminds me of a customer at a grocery store I work at... he complained about the "Moms and Tots" parking spot being discriminatory against single fathers. The best part is that his wife was right there.

Nope, I don't understand why people get hung up on gender. Where'd they come up with this idea, anyways?

Also, is depicting stereotypes really a bad thing? When 90% of the population (or so) is straight, and about 60% of them married, then how is depicting a straight marriage "reinforcing a negative stereotype"? (I'm assuming it's somehow negative, otherwise they wouldn't take umbrage to it.)
Just to clarify here, what exactly is a "Moms and Tots" parking spot? Does it mean that any single mothers get to have a parking spot close to the building? I understand the idea of having a spot for pregenant women, but if it's just because they're single mothers that they get the spot, I may have to side with the guy who brought it up on this.
It's meant for pregnant women and mothers with very small children that they want off the parking lot as quickly as possible. Men with babies/toddlers are totally allowed to use it, he was just pissed by the wording on the sign.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Chicago Ted said:
lacktheknack said:
DERP.

This reminds me of a customer at a grocery store I work at... he complained about the "Moms and Tots" parking spot being discriminatory against single fathers. The best part is that his wife was right there.

Nope, I don't understand why people get hung up on gender. Where'd they come up with this idea, anyways?

Also, is depicting stereotypes really a bad thing? When 90% of the population (or so) is straight, and about 60% of them married, then how is depicting a straight marriage "reinforcing a negative stereotype"? (I'm assuming it's somehow negative, otherwise they wouldn't take umbrage to it.)
Just to clarify here, what exactly is a "Moms and Tots" parking spot? Does it mean that any single mothers get to have a parking spot close to the building? I understand the idea of having a spot for pregenant women, but if it's just because they're single mothers that they get the spot, I may have to side with the guy who brought it up on this.
It's meant for pregnant women and mothers with very small children that they want off the parking lot as quickly as possible. Men with babies/toddlers are totally allowed to use it, he was just pissed by the wording on the sign.
Alright then, I'm completely fine with that then. I don't care about the wording, but if it was specifically for women, I'd be a bit annoyed. I was raised by a single father, and if I saw something like that now, knowing that my dad had to raise me alone, then I'd feel a bit annoyed, and rather against, something like that being only for single mothers.

InfiniteSingularity

Apr 9, 2010
Lol, this is completely swinging the other way - next thing you know kids are used to opposite stereotypes and society will reverse it's social values. Or something like that

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
staff avoid using words like "him" or "her" and address the 33 kids as "friends" rather than girls and boys.
I'm fine with the concept of referring to everyone as friends however they shouldn't ignore the biological differences that make a child male or female.

"Egalia gives them a fantastic opportunity to be whoever they want to be."
The fact that they give the children the opportunity to do that is fine. I mean I read an article about a boy getting punished for coming to school in a dress. I see no problem with that. If it makes him happy, let him.

Nearly all the children's books deal with homosexual couples, single parents or adopted children. There are no "Snow White," ''Cinderella" or other classic fairy tales seen as cementing stereotypes.
Nearly all? That almost seems like they are trying to do away with kids imagining fairy tales. Yeah Cinderella (original story) slept in the cinders(hence her name) and was forced to do chores and such and married a prince. Who cares? I was raised on classic fairy tales and I turned out just fine. I'm very tolerant of any lifestyle. Now some creep me out with how far people take them but as long as they aren't pushing their lifestyle on me, who am I to judge? Snow White yeah originally a princess, was almost killed a few times actually if I'm recalling the story right, lived with 7 dwarfs(all male) who worked all day while she kept house. Some women are fine in that role. Who cares if that's what they aspire to be? Yeah any guy who tries and puts me in that role, well, lets say it won't end well.

"The kind of things that boys like to do ? run around and turn sticks into swords ? will soon be disapproved of," he said. "So gender neutrality at its worst is emasculating maleness."
I have no doubt in my mind that they would disapprove of a male child doing this. Or turning sticks into guns or any other kind of weapon. You can still be male, act male, not be emasculated, and still be open minded. Hell, my brother makes the best chocolate chip cookies ever, my dad and mom both cook, and I work on cars with my dad and brother. Everyone else in my family can sew except for me. And if they want to enforce gender neutrality then they need to start with society in general. NOT pre-schoolers. Society helps in raising kids just as much as school and your home life.

"We use the word "Hen" for example when a doctor, police, electrician or plumber or such is coming to the kindergarten"
I think of hen, I think of an animal.....Why not just say that an electrician is coming? or a plumber is coming? Or a doctor? Or a police officer? I see no gender specifics in saying it that way.....

What matters is that children understand that their biological differences "don't mean boys and girls have different interests and abilities," Rajalin says. "This is about democracy. About human equality."
This goes back to what I just said when I was comparing my home life. You are who you are. And this seems a little more like brainwashing then democracy and human equality. Either way IF I lived there and IF I ever have children I would never put them in a school like this. More I would teach them at home to be tolerant of everyone else and their lifestyles. Then again I'd also teach them to have some respect for their elders and to be polite too. Something that seemingly, in America at least, a lot of parents are neglecting to do.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Anyone else want to fast forward these kids' lives to see how messed up they're going to be? I bet that would put a stop to this right away when you're able to see the results.
I'm sorry, but there are some things that girl generally like that boys don't, and things that boys like that girls don't. Our brains are wired differently and they react differently. It's just how it is. We're different. Embrace it.

Caligulust

Apr 3, 2010
Things don't bode well when you try to seriously incorporate a made-up word.

I guess I can understand books of such topics, but the world is more than homosexuality, single parents and adopted children. You would think single parents and adopted children wouldn't even need to be covered.

I don't quite get the lego blocks thing either. Chances are, these kids have been raised in households where the mothers have done most of the cooking, so they might already identify it as woman's task. Boys tend to want to be like dad and girls tend to be like mom.

Without straight up explaining the concepts, they probably won't pick up on them.

They have a lot of faith in four year olds.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Just more mind pollution for the young and helpless...

Which makes them all the more stupid and useless to society when they hit adulthood and reality slaps them in the face.

The longer kids live in an imaginary world of equality and happiness, the worse off they'll be.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Caligulust said:
Things don't bode well when you try to seriously incorporate a made-up word.
All words are made up. If the creation of a new word will be beneficial why not create a new word? Language is flexible and should be adapted to our needs. That said the change would have to occur on a much larger scale than one school to do much more than cause confusion.

Sniper Team 4 said:
Anyone else want to fast forward these kids' lives to see how messed up they're going to be? I bet that would put a stop to this right away when you're able to see the results.
I'm sorry, but there are some things that girl generally like that boys don't, and things that boys like that girls don't. Our brains are wired differently and they react differently. It's just how it is. We're different. Embrace it.
The problem then is with the execution, not the original idea. Our brains are wired different yes, but harmful stereotypes still exist and a school like this is a valid way to combat them.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
This just doesn't seem like a good idea at all to me, but we'll have to see how it pans out in the long run. Though I'm very doubtful it will have success, not that it can't, I just don't see its point. We should be showing kids that even though there are differences between men and women, not just biological, that we are all equal as human beings. This is just an observation that I've made when hanging out friends at school (most of which are girls) and they just focus on different aspects and enjoy doing different things than me and my guy friends for the most part althought there is middle ground where we all agree and thats what we focus on.

A basic example is that my girlfriend enjoys the Train song "Marry Me" and Thompson Square song "Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not" because she thinks that they are cute songs. I despise them though because they are just so overblown with pandering and dripping with cuteness that I can't stand them. I don't despise them because I'm trying to adhere to some sort of gender role that I've been placed otherwise I'd hate this song too.

and this one

The thing is I don't hate those songs though and I'd even consider them among some of my favorites of all time. Now I'm not saying that these are "girly" songs, but they aren't exactly screaming my manliness from the rooftops. The thing is I don't care though and maybe this is a completely different argument I'm bringing up, but I feel like this shows that there are differences between the genders. The sooner we acknowledge them the better because the sooner we'll realize that they don't matter. And men can listen to whatever they want, partake in supposed "womanly" activities and the same goes for women, but replace the word "womanly" and insert the word "manly". I think each gender brings a different perspective on things and without these unique perspectives we'll lose something in this society.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
I don't really mind the whole "hen" thing; in fact, I think it's something we should do in all languages. This isn't to advance some plot involving gender politics; rather, it's a convenient way to refer to someone whose gender is unknown without using a plural, referring to that person as an inanimate object, or using an unwieldy phrase like "him or her." Spivak pronouns solve this problem for English, although getting people to start using them without generating the sort of knee-jerk reaction we've seen here is fairly difficult.

As for the broader issue of gender stereotypes, the appro-

We interrupt your regularly scheduled post for this special announcement.

Kakashi on crack said:
(btw Giraffes don't exist)
what.
This is a joke, right? Please tell me this is a joke. Otherwise, I'll have to face a reality where there are people who really are crazy enough to vote for Michele Bachmann.

That concludes this special announcement. We now return to your regularly scheduled post, already in progress.

-ach they're using here has some drawbacks in terms of preparing the kids for the real world, the overall message (I think) they're trying to send is a positive one. Yes, it's true that men tend to be one way and women tend to be another way, and this might even be true in the absence of gender expectations. However, while people tend to think this means "Any given woman is X and any given man is Y," what it more accurately means is "Most women are X and most men are Y, but some people aren't like that, and that's OK, and you shouldn't always assume that a given woman is X and a given man is Y." This particular situation sounded to me more like supporting the latter view over the former than anything else.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
So they decide to increase equality by including books and stories about gay couples single parents and orphans? Sounds fine to me. Wait they are also removing the stories about straight couples raising and nuclear families? Yay equality! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SarcasmMode]

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Cinderella: Girl performs housework and endures abuse all her life and is unable to do anything else. Something completely apart from her life, a Fairy Godmother, magically whisks her away to fall in love. Upon not marrying, she then resumes backbreaking housework and abuse endurance until a man, a prince, who happened to be the one she fell in love with, marries her, and she lives happily ever after.

Have I left out any significant plot points?

Cinderella is pretty much the epitome of the ancient female stereotype. All a woman is good for is cooking and cleaning, and the best thing she can aspire to do is to get married to the richest guy possible.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
In short? It's retarded.

This is not about "democracy and equality". This is just stupid.

There are some significant differences between men and women, boys and girls, and trying to pretend otherwise is nonsense. "Equality" is great, not treating people as inferior because of gender is great, but there are still TWO DIFFERENT DAMN GENDERS!

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Canid117 said:
So they decide to increase equality by including books and stories about gay couples single parents and orphans? Sounds fine to me. Wait they are also removing the stories about straight couples raising and nuclear families? Yay equality! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SarcasmMode]
CURSES! YOU HAVE TRAPPED ME WITH TV TROPES! WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A THING!?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Society fact #37: Everyone gets offended too easily, and constantly fears offending others.
What's next? Neutering for all human beings?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
conflictofinterests said:
Canid117 said:
Because why not? And also it helped make my point.

MortarTeam

Aug 28, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Israelis tried it. Didn't work. Boys still like cars, girls still like make up. Those gender stereotypes have a basis in reality, you know.
Canid117 said:
conflictofinterests said:
Canid117 said:
Because why not? And also it helped make my point.
you are an evil man! Don't you know that TVTropes will ruin his life now? [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]