No, Inafune Did Not Say "It's Better Than Nothing" - UPDATE

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Man everybody's already said the things I was going to say. I'm crying like an anime fan on prom night. Which is to say not at all, because there's no reason to think an anime fan wouldn't be able to get a date for prom, or would even care about it in the first place.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
MatthewTheDark said:
"Its better than nothing."

That's the sign that you didn't even try. I'm hoping he crashes and burns for this level of dicking of his fan. Because he doesn't deserve any money if he keeps pulling shit like that.
No, it's not a sign that they didn't even try. It's a sign that they tried but failed to meet their expectations.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I somehow think this is actually a mis-translation or there is something lost in the translation. I seriously doubt he meant it the way English speakers mean it when they say something like that. I think that people were way too sensitive about that anime fan thing when the trailer first released. Part of me thinks so called "geek culture" has actually lost a lot of self awareness with it's apparent popularity.

I'm also tired of seeing people whine about Kickstarters not going exactly as planned. I mean, how dumb are you, it's a risk. I have been burned, I'm not sitting here boiling about pissed at everything the team that worked on it did. Grow up. Also, everyone needs to stop acting they paid $4Million dollars for the game. How about we don't all sit here and pretend to know what game development is actually like for just one second.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Give Obsidian $4M and they give us Pillars of Eternity, whereas these guys create a sub-par platformer that even they cant get enthused about!

Guess which company i'm more likely to throw money at for another game?

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Cartographer said:
That is probably a "lost in translation" thing. Japanese has plenty of turns of phrase which are entirely positive, but when literally translated have negative connotations in English. A big part of it stems from seeking to be unassertive in the language used, so it comes across as wishy-washy to our ears whereas a Japanese would simply hear it as a positive opinion.

(The giggles in class when my friend realised "you're not ugly" is a perfectly acceptable thing to say to a girl, whereas "you're beautiful" is rude...)

Shhhhh, stop being so reasonable, clearly we should all overreact and overblow another tiny little (potentially completely imagined) infraction committed by this game dev. The development of this game hasn't been a big enough shit-show yet, we gotta get those last few negative news posts trending before a couple of weeks pass and the game drifts from a talking point to barely remembered blip in history.

Seriously, the internet needs to calm its tits on this thing. Disclaimer: I've never played a mega-man game, didn't back this, and have no intention of playing it, but the gaming fandom have been complete gibbering howler monkeys at the whole thing. 'Oh no, they hired a woman as community manager and she's clearly going to change the game in a variety of ways we hate, because that's what community managers do'. 'Oh no, the trailer had a joke at anime fan's expense, and despite the fact it was from a company that obviously like anime, given they tried to kickstart one, and the fact that we will regularly decry those hated 'SJW's' for being offended too easily, we will shit a brick, and yell about our hurt feelings, with no sense of irony whatsoever'.

I mean the game does look pretty terrible, and it hasn't reviewed well, but that almost seems like it's what gamers wanted at this point, so their bitching and moaning could be vindicated.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
But would you still offer refunds?
Of course I'm keeping
Cartographer said:
That is probably a "lost in translation" thing. Japanese has plenty of turns of phrase which are entirely positive, but when literally translated have negative connotations in English. A big part of it stems from seeking to be unassertive in the language used, so it comes across as wishy-washy to our ears whereas a Japanese would simply hear it as a positive opinion.

(The giggles in class when my friend realised "you're not ugly" is a perfectly acceptable thing to say to a girl, whereas "you're beautiful" is rude...)
in mind. Also that's cross-gender interaction for you.

Quellist said:
Give Obsidian $4M and they give us Pillars of Eternity, whereas these guys create a sub-par platformer that even they cant get enthused about!

Guess which company i'm more likely to throw money at for another game?
So does that mean everybody here would donate $10-20 million to a totallynotnewvegassequel?

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Considering a lot of backers codes aren't working, the DLC codes are wrong, and oh! My personal favorite, the WiiU backers are getting their systems bricked by it, no, I would say nothing would be a step up.

Correction: apparently the WiiU systems are locking up forcing a hard reset, not bricking. Still, There hasn't been a system release yet without major problems going on.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well. That's the kind of stirring, heartfelt, emotionally-charged speech that gets the team committing suicide en masse.

And, yes, yes, I know- translation. But unless the translator is totally failing at their job, it's hard not to see that last sentence as mixed expectations at best. As "At least we finally got something out the door, and it is unquestionably videogame-shaped."

Even for people as famously self-deprecating as the Japanese, that's pitching low ball.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
LegendaryGamer0 said:
So does that mean everybody here would donate $10-20 million to a totallynotnewvegassequel?
Dunno about that but i'd donate heavily KOTOR 3 if Obsidian were behind it.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Quellist said:
Dunno about that but i'd donate heavily KOTOR 3 if Obsidian were behind it.
A good idea but we both know how EA is about good ideas.

LordLundar said:
Considering a lot of backers codes aren't working, the DLC codes are wrong, and oh! My personal favorite, the WiiU backers are getting their systems bricked by it, no, I would say nothing would be a step up.
Does anyone know how much money is left from the donations? Because I think the Wii U backers are going to be getting their money back either willingly on the part of Inafune or in a court of law.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
Man everybody's already said the things I was going to say. I'm crying like an anime fan on prom night. Which is to say not at all, because there's no reason to think an anime fan wouldn't be able to get a date for prom, or would even care about it in the first place.
I know I didnt. I went to Bennigans instead.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
LegendaryGamer0 said:
LordLundar said:
Does anyone know how much money is left from the donations? Because I think the Wii U backers are going to be getting their money back either willingly on the part of Inafune or in a court of law.
Looks like I had to do a correction. The systems aren't being bricked, just locked up forcing a hard reset. Still pretty bad for a game that was declared to be ready to be shipped last year.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
LordLundar said:
Looks like I had to do a correction. The systems aren't being bricked, just locked up forcing a hard reset. Still pretty bad for a game that was declared to be ready to be shipped last year.
Oh. Still pretty bad though, but not the total pit of hell that would have been total bricking.

Also looking at your join date, you totally should have posted in the "oldest active users" thread a while back!

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
So many hateful posts over one comment... that was mentioned live... and translated. Am I missing something?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Fhqwhgod said:
Thanks. Can we get nothing instead?
We got Gunvolt that is essentially just a MegaMan successor(by the great and evil mastermind and oppressor Capcom years ago), Recore that is looking pretty good as a 3d version of Mega Man, Ghost on steam has alot of elements in addition to vania elements, Trial by Viking, etc.

It's honestly not Mighty No9 or nothing, it's Mighty No9 or the glut of MegaMan-like games that have largely exploded onto the scene in the, what, four years that it's taken to get here? And from what I understand reviewers and full playthroughs of the fucking game have been done but the backers haven't gotten their copies yet. Scummy as all hell from nearly the start to finish.

The Enquirer said:
There has to be something lost in translation here.
Probably, reading around the translator has a habit of adding their own embellishments that aren't really clear where the translatee's words end and his begin. Still a sorta crappy thing to say in any case.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Amaror said:
Better than nothing? Sold! I can not stop throwing money at the screen right now.
When the developer of the game himself says that the game is "better than nothing", then there's no way I am not buying something that must be THAT good.
Hell, I'm doing nothing right now! If Inafune is offering me a better experience, then I need to get in on this action.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Five bucks says CAPCOM announces a new Mega Man within the next year after this, showing that Inafune was never the main creative force behind the franchise. I do feel bad for Inti Creates only managing to get this out after multiple delays, but I'm confident Bloodstained under Iga will be fine

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Aiddon said:
Five bucks says CAPCOM announces a new Mega Man within the next year after this, showing that Inafune was never the man creative force behind the franchise. I do feel bad for Inti Creates only managing to get this out after multiple delays, but I'm confident Bloodstained under Iga will be fine
Well, they did pretty much announce right after one of the delays they were releasing a remastered collection of the original games, so I wouldn't be surprised. Can get it on steam for like ten bucks too. Pretty cheap if you ask me for what you're getting. If you like platformers that is.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
The Enquirer said:
There has to be something lost in translation here.
Baresark said:
I somehow think this is actually a mis-translation or there is something lost in the translation.
Cartographer said:
That is probably a "lost in translation" thing.
I don't even think it is, I think it's a "let's portray this ambiguous statement as negatively as we can for the views" thing.

"It's better than nothing" is frequently associated with negative things in English, true, but that's not its exclusive use, and I hardly think a developer is going to toss out a game they know is bad and say, "well, it's better than nothing, so shut up and take it you ungrateful bastards!" Given the actual context of the quote, it's most certainly a humble, "I'd rather have this thing which isn't the best it could be than nothing at all" statement.

But hey, that would mean not getting angry about video games (and also reading more than just an article's title before posting), and we can't have that!