No Man's Sky Disappointment

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
RaikuFA said:
RedDeadFred said:
Jim Sterling's review pretty much confirmed all the fears I had for it. It's just another crafting/survival game. A boring one at that.
He just got DDOS'd for his review.
What's the point?! He's not about to change his score just for some jackass.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
So just like destiny this was a strangely super overhyped game everyone was excited for some reason that completely escaped me, and it turns out to be a massive thud?

I'm doing something right. I had no clue wtf Destiny was until the day before its release, and I had no idea wtf no man's sky is until today, where I took a glance at the store page, thought "looks like just another survival crafting game #34234242342", and lo and behold, it's what people are saying xD

Sometimes you can judge a book by the cover it seems.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Silentpony said:
RaikuFA said:
RedDeadFred said:
Jim Sterling's review pretty much confirmed all the fears I had for it. It's just another crafting/survival game. A boring one at that.
He just got DDOS'd for his review.
What's the point?! He's not about to change his score just for some jackass.
Maybe they're hoping it'll get other reviewers to give it a higher score?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
There are 3 entire threads LITERALLY right next to each other about this game. is it so hard to keep it all in one thread people? i mean really?
That always happens after a big release. Fallout 4 and Overwatch had the entire page dedicated to them, and God help us when another Souls game gets released.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
Sounds a lot like Destiny to me - good concept, bad execution. I predicted this a while back. Don't know whether to feel disappointed or smugly satisfied about that...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Silentpony said:
The Devs? Who are making money hand over fist?
Yes, I imagine they are.

They were always going to though. The game was a success before it launched.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
I've always seen this as one of those Zen games. Especially now that I'm burned out on Stardew Valley I can use one. No Man's Sky seems to deliver on that front very well. I can explore cool shit, go wherever I want and just sort of coast along not having to worry that much about anything except keeping myself alive.
Depends, do you consider constant inventory management to be "zen"?

Because the game forces you to do a ton of resource gathering just to travel around. Combine that with an aggressively small starting inventory and you get a great deal of inventory shuffling.

Our tastes probably differ, but I've always found that sort of busywork to be the opposite of zen.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Recusant said:
Quellist said:
Reminds me a lot of Elite, back in the days of the C64: Massive open galaxy (well 8 galaxies really) but nothing really to do beyond combat and trading (i remember the game had 3 missions in total), it was a megahit at the time because of the novelty but these days novelty wont sustain a game for long.
The first time I heard this game described to me, months ago, by a friend very eagerly awaiting it, my response was "No thanks. I played Elite thirty years ago; I don't see a need to do it again." Convinced I'd misunderstood him, he went into a much (and I do mean MUCH) more detailed explanation, which lasted until I cut him off with "I see. This isn't Elite. This is first-person Starbound. I played that a few weeks ago. No thanks."

I'm a little confused as to why people keep getting hyped up over the same idea, time and again (and again and again and again and...).
Because the marketing departments are getting good at spinning the same tired old dreck until it sounds like something unique and new? It's about all i can think of anyway

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Recusant said:
Quellist said:
Reminds me a lot of Elite, back in the days of the C64: Massive open galaxy (well 8 galaxies really) but nothing really to do beyond combat and trading (i remember the game had 3 missions in total), it was a megahit at the time because of the novelty but these days novelty wont sustain a game for long.
The first time I heard this game described to me, months ago, by a friend very eagerly awaiting it, my response was "No thanks. I played Elite thirty years ago; I don't see a need to do it again." Convinced I'd misunderstood him, he went into a much (and I do mean MUCH) more detailed explanation, which lasted until I cut him off with "I see. This isn't Elite. This is first-person Starbound. I played that a few weeks ago. No thanks."

I'm a little confused as to why people keep getting hyped up over the same idea, time and again (and again and again and again and...).
Yeah, for a while I kept thinking this reminded me of Starbound(except Starbound apparently has more to do). And since I already own starbound and find it merely okay(Great concept, execution varies between good and not-so-good), is there any particular reason to buy NMS?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
DeadProxy said:
I kept my expectations low and didn't follow any of the news for the game, so I think I entered in with pretty understandable expectations, and I think that the game is pretty decent. Playing on PS4 by the way.

I've only spent maybe 3 or 4 hours on it now, and haven't left my first planet yet, although I can. I was probably one of the unlucky ones that didn't start on a nice, warm planet, and instead was greeted with my ship in a hole in the middle of a cave system that I got lost in a bit while struggling with -50c temps. So my first little bit was spent running back to my ship every couple minutes to "warm up."

I like that I have a personal goal though, which is, "I want to know." I just want to explore and learn stuff, and I get that with the couple of alien artifact things and random computer terminals. Monoliths are cool. Had a weird thing were a monolith thing had a bird on it with it's head twisted speaking in ancient tongues, and I had the option to shoot it or not, and when I did, the monolith "rewarded" me. Cool stuff I say, reminds me of Mass Effect 1.

As for flaws, the early game resource limit is really rough to deal with, but I stumbled across some Drop pod type thing that upgraded my backpack, so that's helped slightly. There's also that "phase in" loading texture thing that I don't really like because it's very obvious and can really mess up how the surface looks when flying across the sky.
Ditto here, more or less. I've been playing for a few days, and never expected anything even remotely close to, say, Elite or Freelancer, much less Ace Combat or even Minecraft. I'm perfectly fine with the idea of landing on a random spot and doing circuitous rounds around my ship in an increasing radius.

I find stuff, it helps me upgrade stuff, and the upgraded stuff gets me more stuff so I can *see* more stuff... Somehow, that works perfectly for me. It helps that the raw exploration elements aren't too resource-intensive, either. All you need is a steady supply of Iron and Plutonium. Once you're practically swimming in Bypass Chips, it's easy to spam the "Shelter" prompt until the game generates a Drop Pod.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
[hipster]I called the game Spore 2.0 before it was cool.[/hipster]

The game never looked that interesting and anyone not blinded by the shiny trailer would see past them. They never advertised gameplay or anything what do you. It was always about numbers. Number of planets, number of suns, species, aliens, size this, size that... all that, but never the gameplay until it was almost released. That was a big indicator that they didn't really have anything. Second teller was procedurally generated. Seriously people, stop hyping this up. It's not good. It can be okay, but it's never as good as a handcrafted world. And it always goes for quantity over quality. Sorry but I love a quality world and not a big quantity of meh worlds.

I recently finished Starbound and it was a disappointment. But everything I read about the NMS kinda reminds me of my experience with Starbound, but it sounds even more boring.

The insane hype and the company not trying to contain it in any way possible was a perfect recipe for a disastrous disappointment. Now even if the game is okay-ish, it will be seen in a negative light by many.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
CaitSeith said:
It was one of the most over-hyped indie game launches. For years, people were talking about it like if it was going to be the arrival of game-Christ, and it was going to exonerate us of all our gaming sins (or, as they put it, "challenge the video game industry's Status Quo").

Maybe it's just that I'm a mere mortal, but my mind just couldn't comprehend what exactly they were expecting from the game.
I think that a lot of the hype over No Man's Sky was generated because it is a console exclusive to Playstation and not available on Xbox, and after a few disappointing Playstation exclusives that received similar hype (e.g. Driveclub), a lot of the pre-release hype for NMS was partly hyping up the Playstation brand in comparison to Xbox who wouldn't get this game, irrespective of the actual game itself, and was also projection from Playstation fanboys who took a few sound-bites from early dev videos and ran with it to create the best game ever that Xbox scum would never be able to touch with their filthy peasant fingers and would be totally jealous of because it's only available on Playstation (and Microsoft Windows, but lets forget about that because it's not convenient in the Console War).

I've been following this game for almost since it's first teaser because it seems like quite an interesting concept for an Indie game and harks back to older games that I enjoyed, but the vast majority of the overblown hype I've read has been from Playstation fans (via GameFAQS) who have seemed to have taken an interesting concept and weaponised it for the Console Wars just because it's a Playstation console exclusive, irrespective of the developer's stated vision for the game, and have mutated it in to a every genre AAA game triumphant Sony (always wins baby), PS4 exclusive, suck it Xbots! Second Coming of Christ.

I've no way of proving this, but I honestly believe that if No Man's Sky was just a PC exclusive, or if it had been from the very beginning an all format game, then it wouldn't have been as hyped up as it has been and would have been better received as the modest yet ambitious Indie game that it is (and always has been if you listed to the people who made it).

On the other hand, I also think that Sean Murray got a little bit carried away and started Molyneuxing a bit when his humble game got thrust into the spotlight and started receiving hype and accolades faster than he and his tiny team could game develop, but that is often the way with small British developers and I don't think that ambition and overreaching vision should be held against people in the same way as if they actually told a massive bare face lie and set out to deferral people for moneys from the get go (which is the impression I've got of the Cast Down From Heaven Pariah that is Sean Murray from reading message boards since NMS's pre-release).

As in many fields, getting noticed and picked up by a massive corporation (e.g. Sony) is both a blessing and a curse for a small creator... of anything, not just games or media.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Zhukov said:
Silentpony said:
The Devs? Who are making money hand over fist?
Yes, I imagine they are.

They were always going to though. The game was a success before it launched.
Well, to be honest I don't think there is any ill-intent from the developers considering they left their jobs, sold their house etc. to pursue this game as a passion project. The dedication and fortitude with which they developed this game I can only really respect. However they had their priorities mixed up by focusing so exclusively on 'infinite' exploration without making the game..well..fun. Ideally a game should be designed around really great gameplay and not the other way around. A procedurally generated universe can't save a shitty game from being, well, a shitty game. I personally also think this game fell into one of those creator pitfalls in which they are too pre-occupied implementing a certain concept without considering the user experience at every part of the process.

CaitSeith said:
I think that a lot of the hype over No Man's Sky was generated because it is a console exclusive to Playstation and not available on Xbox, and after a few disappointing Playstation exclusives that received similar hype (e.g. Driveclub)
Driveclub was hyped? Still, this is an excellent racing game though. I know Driveclub had a shitty launch with server issues but it's also a game that got some of the best and longest post-launch support I can think of elevating it to one of the best(if not the best) racing games of this generation. Also in the looks department there is no game that looks better than Driveclub with the dynamic weather in effect.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I will never understand people who get hyped about something they have no reason to do so over. Unless it's a new installment in a series that's already proven itself and doesn't seek drastic change to the formula, I see no reason to get hyped about anything. I got hyped for Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Borderlands 2 and God of War 3, because they were all games with an established, working formula, made by people who I trusted to make that formula work.

But I guess enough people are goddamn stupid enough to cream their pants over someone just saying things. It's like someone I knew nothing about saying that I'll get a threesome with Margot Robbie and Jennifer Lawrence if I preorder now, but what reason do I have to believe or trust in any of it?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
bartholen said:
I will never understand people who get hyped about something they have no reason to do so over. Unless it's a new installment in a series that's already proven itself and doesn't seek drastic change to the formula, I see no reason to get hyped about anything. I got hyped for Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Borderlands 2 and God of War 3, because they were all games with an established, working formula, made by people who I trusted to make that formula work.

But I guess enough people are goddamn stupid enough to cream their pants over someone just saying things. It's like someone I knew nothing about saying that I'll get a threesome with Margot Robbie and Jennifer Lawrence if I preorder now, but what reason do I have to believe or trust in any of it?
Well, the first reveal of the game showed us something we hadn't really seen yet in games; Real-time space travel from planet to planet. And in the current generation, where there doesn't seem to be much if any innovation, that was pretty darn novel. Unfortunately the novelty didn't survive the lengthy production it seems. I think if this game came out six months after that initial reveal it would've gone down a lot smoother. The hype and excitement would've still been fresh in our minds, but it wouldn't have had the time to grow into ludicrous expectations.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
At about 20 hours in, I'm still finding new things (and not just a new RNG animal or whatever). Definitely some rough edges, and some of the upgrading systems are significantly grindy, especially for inventory space in the starship, which quickly spirals into costing millions of units for small upgrades.

The action peak so far was a 2 hour period when I got stranded on a jungle planet, with "Aggressive" Sentinel presence trying to murder me on sight, playing dodge the angry dinosaur while trying to scrounge for plutonium (plentiful on rock worlds, but seemingly excruciatingly rare on more vegetative planets) to refuel my thrusters to escape again.

Though that again highlights a rough edge. Sentinels drop titanium when killed. Which repairs your shield. So unless you literally can't kill them at all, the threat is a bit weak.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So Steam reviews are in, and the game is broken. Almost no one can play it. Keeps crashing right after the title screen. Another questionable release like Batman, where you wonder if they actually tested the PC version before release.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Silentpony said:
So Steam reviews are in, and the game is broken. Almost no one can play it. Keeps crashing right after the title screen. Another questionable release like Batman, where you wonder if they actually tested the PC version before release.
Going by the steam "reviews" it does seem to be the case that the game is broken as fuck.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/reviews/?browsefilter=toprated

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Dalisclock said:
Recusant said:
Quellist said:

Yeah, for a while I kept thinking this reminded me of Starbound(except Starbound apparently has more to do). And since I already own starbound and find it merely okay(Great concept, execution varies between good and not-so-good), is there any particular reason to buy NMS?
Having seen more (from people who will not shut up about it), I wish to correct my previous statement. This isn't Starbound. It's Noctis. Not crossed with anything. It's just Noctis with some combat put in. If Noctis had been played by more than twelve people, I'd be calling this a ripoff- especially since Noctis was free, has far more planets, and takes up about 1/10000 the space.