No Man's Sky is starting to look a bit rubbish.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Once upon a time, not so very long ago, I was excited about No Man's Sky.

It looked pretty and the seamless open-universe approach was intriguing.

However, almost right from the start people were asking questions to the effect of, "Okay, but what does the player actually do?"

Now that large quantities of gameplay footage are running free on the internet, those questions seemed to have been answered with, "Not fucking much."

On planets you walk around gathering resources for upgrades. You can scan procedurally generated animals and plants, which does basically nothing. You can make holes in the terrain by shooting it. You can engage in some browser-game level first person shooting. In space you can get into dogfights while flying between planets.

It all looks incredibly basic, the kind of thing that one can tire of after an hour or two.

The other big draw is the procedurally generated worlds which allow for massive amounts of (technically) unique content without the devs actually having to personally having to make that content.

However, now that I've seen a bunch of these procedurally generated worlds, my response is, "So what?" The whole thing amounts to this planet having blue grass while that planet had red and this planet having six-legged animals while another had lots of birds. It's like the difference between Minecraft maps. "Well, last time I started near the sea and there was some trees over here. But this time I started on a hill and the trees are over there!"

I'm actually a fan of randomized content, but it works best as a complement to fun mechanics that forces the player to adapt rather than learn content by rote.

The only thing on offer that looks remotely appealing at this point is the spaceship dogfights. But I'd rather play a game that focuses on being a good spaceship dogfighting game than one that includes shallow dogfights alongside a few other equally shallow activities.

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
That was my problem with the game from the start .. well this and the snobbish attitude of the developer.

But this 'tech demo' looks like a good base for something great. I hope they will know how to push this concept forward.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
As someone who had a similar experience maybe a year ago, I'm wondering what happened in the last year of development. That was the impression I had very quickly of "well there's not much to do" like you said randomly generated content is a great addition but a poor basis for a game on its own. I'd figured in a year they'd add plenty of new feature, stuff to do, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Personally I'd take 5 planet with great design over an infinite number with just random stuff and color swap, exploration isn't very interesting if there's nothing really to discover.

Maybe they could build on it over the year, add maybe like expanding faction with colonization and much more complex ship (I think they only differ in very basic stuff with only one weapon).

But really my big question is, why are they charging so much for it?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Maybe that's the point of the whole game is to simply explore. Practically every other game out there has typical video game goals, so this would be a pretty relaxing change of pace. Hell I still even like to boot up Space Engine from time to time just to planet hop around the infinity of space, and there's really nothing to "do" in that one.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
This is exactly what I've been saying from the beginning, and the responses I've gotten from the game's champions really haven't cleared anything up for me with their vague, nebulous promises of "content". I really did get the impression that it's basically just going to be space-sim Minecraft, which is fine if that's what you're looking for I guess, but it's a bit of a letdown for me because I want a game that does all of the things No Man's Sky wants to do... but with actual depth behind it.

EDIT: Like, I might still check it out when I can just to see if it does catch my attention, but no matter how badly I want it to do otherwise I just can't see it not getting boring after a few hours.

ZeD [taken 0]

Apr 21, 2012
chrissx2 said:
That was my problem with the game from the start .. well this and the snobbish attitude of the developer.

But this 'tech demo' looks like a good base for something great. I hope they will know how to push this concept forward.
Snobbish attitude?
Guy's the most humble dev dude I've seen in a long time.
In every interview it's "eh, I think it'll be nice".

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
As long as there is a randomly generated planet of overruling bear-spiders capable of pyromancy and 5-star quality cooking, that's GOTY material for me. Screw story. Screw long term goals. That's what real life is for. Give me my goddamn bear-spider planet so I can savour their finest hogroast buffet as we debate future alliances.
The developers never tried to hype this up, they were repeatedly trying to calm all the rumours. All this...this is a symptom of your own hype. I never expected it to be much more than what they said and it looked like, so I feel completely indifferent, albeit bemused by these reactions. Always keep your expectations low, kiddos. Unless you enjoy this activity of...is there a word for this?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Zhukov said:
"Okay, but what does the player actually do?"
It's a space sim, you explore. Same way "all the player does" in visual novels is flip pages. Exploration is the end in itself.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
it's a bit of a letdown for me because I want a game that does all of the things No Man's Sky wants to do... but with actual depth behind it.
Well, if it fails to hit its target... its body is now a new log for someone else to jump from. :D

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Zhukov said:
"Okay, but what does the player actually do?"
It's a space sim, you explore. Same way "all the player does" in visual novels is flip pages. Exploration is the end in itself.
I'm not a visual novel guy. But I'm given to understand that you flip those pages in the hopes of being told a compelling story or seeing some totally-not-underage anime tits. The page flipping is not the end in itself. About the closest thing I play are Telltale games and if they failed to deliver a story then I'd stop clicking pretty bloody fast.

As for exploration, well... satisfying exploration requires that there has be something to find. So far all I've seen are planets where the procedural generator came up with 5578HD6JJ43FTR4R5T instead of UQ4E33F4454GMB7BB.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
lacktheknack said:
shrekfan246 said:
it's a bit of a letdown for me because I want a game that does all of the things No Man's Sky wants to do... but with actual depth behind it.
Well, if it fails to hit its target... its body is now a new log for someone else to jump from. :D
Star Citizen is going to crash and burn so hard. :p

I really do hope that one day I get the full space RPG I'm actually looking for, though.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Bombiz said:
You could play Elite Dangerous if you want good dog-fighting
Or exploring galaxies. Or trading.

I love elite. Just wish I had an occulus capable PC. And oculus. And time.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Very reminiscent of Spore. The scope of that game was breathlessly huge, but when it came down to it the minute to minute game play was hopelessly shallow and not very engaging. I'm always very suspicious of games with ridiculously ambitious scope and almost no attention to detail.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say rubbish, but ya, I've lost all interest in it. The first trailer did a good job of hyping things up. On the surface, it looks great. However, it really seems to lack depth.

How complex are the trade routes?
How developed are the alien civilizations? Do they have differing goals and motivations?
How developed is the combat? Right now, it looks quite basic.
Are they holding back a ton of different biomes and planet types? They've only showed off maybe 10 planets and they're already getting kind of samey.
How is the crime system? Can you actually become a major outlaw and become known across multiple systems?

What I gather from what you actually do in this game is that you get your ship, make it capable of flying long distances, gather fuel, travel to a new system, gather more fuel, travel to another system, etc.... until you reach the center of the galaxy. My question is, are these procedurally generated really going to be interesting enough to compel someone to complete that kind of trek? From what I've seen so far, the answer for me personally is a definite no.

Another big discouraging thing about the game to me is that if you've carved out a nice little base on a planet for yourself, it'll be erased and reset as soon as you leave. I suppose this is to encourage you to keep moving and exploring, but it feels kind of shitty to me.

I have no doubt that there are people who will thoroughly enjoy exploring from one planet to the next, so I wouldn't call it rubbish. The game definitely isn't for me though.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I'm still incredibly confused by anybody who asks "What do you do?", as if you needed a quest log for a game to have "things to do".

No Man's Sky is a Sci-fi exploration and survival game, if you are confused about what you do in NMS you can read the incredibly long list of gameplay stuff on reddit, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4didkh/what_do_you_do_in_no_mans_sky_and_other_questions/

I'm not saying that it has the greatest gameplay depth in the world, or anything like that, but there are just as many people completely disregarding everything we've already seen in order to fit their arguments of "you just fly around, it'll get boring in an hour" as there are people over-hyping and defending it.

I, personally, am excited for No Man's Sky, apart from everything we've already seen, there is also a whole lot of stuff we haven't seen and/or stuff that has been teased but don't know anything about yet (the level-up system was teased recently, we don't know what it is though).

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
How complex are the trade routes?
How developed are the alien civilizations? Do they have differing goals and motivations?
How developed is the combat? Right now, it looks quite basic.
Are they holding back a ton of different biomes and planet types? They've only showed off maybe 10 planets and they're already getting kind of samey.
How is the crime system? Can you actually become a major outlaw and become known across multiple systems?
Trade routes are procedurally generated and based on seed location.

There are a number of alien races we know about that are very advanced, they have factories, NPCs, technologies etc. We have to assume they have different goals and motivations because you can earn favour with the races by doing certain things that they like specifically.

We haven't seen a whole bunch of combat but it looks just as "basic" or "advanced" as any other first-person shooter in recent memory.

They chose the planets they've shown because they were good to demo in a short-time, we can only assume there is a lot more out there but we won't know until we start playing, I'm hopeful but I can't say for sure.

You can, in fact, become a major outlaw, if you continue to attack freighters, steal etc then the galactic police force will remember you and may attack on sight if you are in a system with their presence (Not all solar systems and planets will have a Sentinel presence/be monitored).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Doesn't starbound already do this(other then the space dogfights) right now? And have a lot of the same problem of lots to explore and little to do(I mean, other then find upgrades and build a house if you're so inclined)?