No Man's Sky PC Version Gets Last-Minute Delay

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No Man's Sky PC Version Gets Last-Minute Delay

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/778/778775.jpg
The PC version of No Man's Sky has been pushed back to August 12.

We lied to you. Last month, we reported that No Man's Sky has gone gold. Usually, when a game goes gold, there are no further delays to its release date, and we stated as such in Sean Murray [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167887-No-Mans-Sky-Release-Date-Set] has just announced via Twitter that the PC version of the game will be getting a last-minute delay. Its new release date will be August 12.

"PC No Man's Sky release will now be global and will be August 12 worldwide," he said. "It's so important we get it right and make the best version we can." He added that the PC version of the game was something the team is working "extremely hard" on.

So while the delay is only three days, it's still yet another delay for a game that has already been delayed several times in the past. Let's hope PC players don't get too jealous of their PS4 brethren getting the game a few days early...

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/761694858562207744]

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Awww... I go on holidays. So no 36 hour cram session for me. Still, I would rather them do it right then rush it out. It is only a few days.

They are only a small studio so getting a big release like this will probably be pretty tricky. Best of luck to them.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Somehow, I knew something like this would happen. Priceless.

At least I'm getting the PS4 version. I need to use it for something besides Netflix, and I'm not sure if my computer can run it as well as I'd like.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Honestly? I'm .. almost glad. I mean I am glad in that they're taking the time they need - people that rag on developers for delays to their formal release really get up my nose, even when their projects aren't crowd-funded. But given the nature of No Man's Sky and its goals and priorities, it seemed terribly uncomfortable that different parts of the world were getting at it at such widely differing dates.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Eh, it's just a few days. No biggie. Better than launching with some crippling bug, right? That won't stop some people from blowing their gasket or smugly patting themselves on the back, though. It's funny (and a little frightening) what hype can do to folks.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hear that a leaked copy was unforgivably bugged. This is gonna be a fun ride...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm cool with this. It just gives me more time to read the reviews and determine if I even want to buy it. I'm making the assumption that the PC and console versions aren't radically different then each other(and if the PC version turns out to have more bugs then a cheap motel room, I definitely won't buy it).

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
If they spend it fixing any bugs that should have been fixed before going gold then it's understandable if a bit sad.
It still wont matter to me since I'm not going to buy it until after they've added third person chase cam to the space sim part of the game.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Eh? But we already knew [http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/no-mans-sky-pc-delay/] this was going to happen last week? Not exactly news. I suppose they only now properly announced it, but it's not another three days.
Bob_McMillan said:
I hear that a leaked copy was unforgivably bugged. This is gonna be a fun ride...
The problem with leaked copies is that we usually don't know how they relate to the release version. It could easily be a slightly older iteration that misses certain fixes.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
But...this was known...and widely announced...last week. Why are you only reporting on this now? Weird.

Usually, when a game goes gold, there are no further delays to its release date,
That's...not true, though. "Going gold" only means the game's considered content complete and has been sent off to the requisite partners for printing, etc. It does not mean the game won't face any further delays.

Let's hope PC players don't get too jealous of their PS4 brethren getting the game a few days early...
Ah, gotcha. Now I see why it's being reported now.

Gotta stoke those flames, eh?

;D

[edit]
I'd started to expect the usual suspects would show up to unironically (or ironically, depending on your perspective) inject some console elitism into the discussion. Seems I was right.

Never change, Escapist.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Tinfoil hat engage!

This is really just a ploy from Sony to further promote the PS4 version.

Anyway, I probably won't buy this in august anyway, maybe around Christmas times or something, when the price has dropped, game has been further polished, and we actually have some decent reviews for it. Plus I don't really have time to race for the center of the galaxy atm, so any "spoilers" are gonna hit me anyway.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Eh? But we already knew [http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/no-mans-sky-pc-delay/] this was going to happen last week? Not exactly news. I suppose they only now properly announced it, but it's not another three days.
You oughta know by now that The Escapist is generally pretty slow to report on news. :p

OT: Not having read the official posts or anything, I'm left wondering what they could possibly be doing that would only need another three days, especially if it's still launching on the "original" date for PS4.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
one thing about it being released on console first is that those people get to be guinea pigs for either a crappy or awesome game.. if its bad in the reviews i can already see it being cancelled a lot in the reviews.

that said i do hope it lives up to the hype

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Cowabungaa said:
You oughta know by now that The Escapist is generally pretty slow to report on news. :p
That I know, but that's no excuse for sloppy fact-checking.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Hello Games bought themselves another 3 days of relevance in popular media before the dull reality of the game hits the market and sweeps away everyone's interest in it.

Yeah, okay, that was pretty harsh and cynical. They're probably just working on a day 1 patch for PC players.

Feb 7, 2016
Probably for the best. If it had come out, two things could have happened:

1. It would have been as good as I hoped, and I would have tried to cram as much time into it as possible while neglecting to prepare for my trip next Thursday.

2. It would have been bad and disappointing and I would have been in a piss-poor mood for 3 days and probably neglected to prepare for my trip next Thursday.

Now, I'll have to wait until after my trip to play it, which by that point I'll have nothing to get in the way regardless of which outcome happens.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
OT: Not having read the official posts or anything, I'm left wondering what they could possibly be doing that would only need another three days, especially if it's still launching on the "original" date for PS4.
Adding support for 21:9 monitors, was said on twitter, a resolution obviously not supported on PS4.
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/761694858562207744

Steven Bogos said:
So while the delay is only three days, it's still yet another delay for a game that has already been delayed several times in the past. Let's hope PC players don't get too jealous of their PS4 brethren getting the game a few days early...
They aren't, this is what is circulating on the PC gaming forums.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I fail to see the problem. The real version will come out on time so nobody will be affected.