No matter how open-minded...

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
CrashBang said:
Some people listen to music to invoke feelings, etc., others just want to be entertained. Same with movies, games, sports, etc. They probably get their emotion fix elsewhere. You're just over complicating this one. Oh, but I doubt they do it simply because it's easy to dance to. I sometimes go to my local club and dance to oldie songs and country music even though I don't normally listen to such things. It still brings emotions of joy and excitement to me.

Deviate said:
Most popular religions have been around for a very long time. Imagine 2000 years of beings told something, no matter how unbelievable it is. It's eventually going to become the basis of your life, like breathing air. At the start, these religions were probably enforced (and still are in some countries)... Most people are born into these religions, they grow up being told what to believe or else. They really have no other way of thinking. That's why a lot of religious people will spurt jibbish at you if you suggest maybe they're wrong.

silversnake4133 said:
Well, we live in a capitalist frame of mind. The more money you have the more power you have. Wanting power is a fairly basic human instinct. It's a biological fact, particularly with males... If collecting bottle caps gave you power we'd see people with billions of bottle caps.

---

Anyone who said drugs obviously hasn't used them before. They can be EXTREMELY addictive. Most drug addicts couldn't quit evening if they realized their life could be better without it. That's often why drug charges can be quite lienient (for users, not dealers). Because people realize it's generally not a yes or no situation.

Anyways, I've had enough playing God for one day. Back to you Jim!

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Both:
People that will continue to argue their completely disproved ideas and try to convince others they are fact, even when confronted with a metric fuckton of evidence otherwise. I can understand holding a viewpoint that is unlikely, but has no evidence for it, but I cannot comprehend why you would hold on to an idea that has no logical grounding, and that has substantial evidence saying it is false.

and:
People who cannot comprehend something, no matter how many times, using as many varied ways of looking at things that I can think of, I explain it to them. For example, some people in my Chemistry class just can not get their head around ionic bonding. It has taken at least 10 hours of trying to explain it, yet they still do not get it. Now, for this it is not that I cannot comprehend why they are unable to understand it as such, but I cannot comprehend how they are thinking about it as it is that different to how I think about it. Wish I could comprehend every type of thought pattern, but sadly I can't.

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
People who like Rob Schnieder, Chris Rock, Jack Black, Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Will Ferrel, Shia Lebuff, or the Transformers movies

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Rodrigo Girao said:
My pet cause is infant circumcision. I just can't and don't want to be open-minded about people who mutilate children, no matter what insane excuse they give. Anyone who does it is a monster and should be put to death: swiftly for the good of all, as one kills a rabid dog.
Circumcisions actually reduce the chances of infection of the penis. They're performed soon after birth to allow the child to become accustomed to the sensitivity, and because if done later in life carry a much higher risk of scarring as well as being much more painful and sensitivity not reducing.

OT: People who spout arbitrary bullshit at every turn. i.e. CoD BF3 haters, people complaining about lack of creativity.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
summerof2010 said:
Soods said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
It's not precisely Pascal's wager, but it's the same idea, and it has the same problem. Do I get to post this video now?

One of my favorite rebuttals to any apologetic ever. Dat soundtrack... He and QuailaSoup too. They're awesome.
That is an awesome video. Thanks for that.

CatsAttackAgain

Jul 14, 2010
People who still like/dislike COD/Transformers/Justin Beiber.

Come on, people. Its not like you haven't seen it before and its not like you wont see an exact copy of it next year. Get over it.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
someone said the religious, i'd extend that too anyone who simply doesn't think about something. i find this impossible to understand, because i heavily scrutinize every. single. thing that goes on in my brain, usually to an annoying degree.

i can't imagine my head not working that way, so i have no idea what it would be like.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Insanum said:
There are just two things I cant stand, People who are intolerant of other peoples races & beliefs, and the dutch.
Love Michael Caine. :D

OT: Graffiti. I know it's a small thing, but I've got a couple of friends that do it, but I can't understand why the fuck they would.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Noone really understands anything about most things. They just pretend they do so they don't look stupid. Me included.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
Rule Britannia said:
People who cut themselves. Just no. How could that possible solve or help anything (working on the basis the person is depressed)? Cutting one's self could only lead to further depression, what could possibly be going through a person's mind, when they decide? "The only way to solve my problems is it cut myself"

Some people I feel cut themselves because it's part of the gothic/metal culture kind of like peer presure but on a scale of fitting into a huge group of people that happen to like similar music to you. Some of them just happen to cut themselves 'cause...well I'm not sure why really...

Probably sounds dumb to rant about something I don't fully understand...
i did it once, it felt really good. next time i tried it just hurt, then i never did it again. the rush i felt was pretty pleasant. before anyone asks, yeah i was really depressed at the time but i wasn't suicidal.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Rule Britannia said:
In fear of being suspended I'll word this lightly.

What's with the bronies thing? I really don't get it. If somebody could quote me and explain in a paragraph or something that would be greatly appreciated.
.>

I'll try to make it quick. Part of it is simply the fact that the show is an above average children's animation with enough self-conscious humor to still be engaging to an adult audience, at least in a superficial way. It's also gained support due to the already established popularity of its creator, Lauren Faust, who worked on the Power Puff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Part of that is the fact that Faust consistently provides good media content aimed at girls, a traditionally neglected demographic in pop culture, and that MLP is a high mark for that. For some, supporting her is like me buying Costume Quest because I like Double Fine Studios, even though it was honestly too short and basic to keep me all the way interested. This is where the majority of the original support came from, and the whole irony of the "grown men - little girls show" thing helped the show gain publicity among internet culture.

Modern bronies - basically the ones like me that still watch the show and are producing the shittons of fan works - have as many and varied reasons for liking the show as people do for liking anything else. Yes, some of them are furries who just wanna fuck ponies and the fact that there's a universe and consistent characters which inhabit it helps contextualize their fantasy. But some of them, like me, are intrigued by and attracted to the social values that have grown up out of the community that challenge gender norms and social conventions about physical intimacy and emotional transparency. More (or perhaps less) than the effect on IRL gender relations and social interaction, there is a noticeable effect on internet society as well. In short, the MLP community made /b decide to be nice to each other, and that niceness thing caught on. Tolerance, understanding, and kindness are, while not universally applied, at least seen as "cool" in the brony community, where they might have been regarded as naive and weak-willed otherwise, as is still the case on many forums and message boards. And that's what inspires me, and makes me want to call myself a brony. It's not what makes me watch the show - I do that because it's cute and entertaining. I just spend hours on the MLP chatroom here because of all that other shit I was talking about.

That was the first time I've really done a full overview and analysis of brony culture. Hope you enjoyed it.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Insanum said:
There are just two things I cant stand, People who are intolerant of other peoples races & beliefs, and the dutch.
Aww come on, that's harsh! :(

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
Rule Britannia said:
People who cut themselves. Just no. How could that possible solve or help anything (working on the basis the person is depressed)? Cutting one's self could only lead to further depression, what could possibly be going through a person's mind, when they decide? "The only way to solve my problems is it cut myself"

Some people I feel cut themselves because it's part of the gothic/metal culture kind of like peer presure but on a scale of fitting into a huge group of people that happen to like similar music to you. Some of them just happen to cut themselves 'cause...well I'm not sure why really...

Probably sounds dumb to rant about something I don't fully understand...
i did it once. i was recently out of a breakup and depressed, but not suicidal by any means. it actually felt, really good, the rush it gave was quite pleasant. the next time i tried though it just stung.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Tattoos, piercings and other "body mods". How can you possibly think you will want that around in 20, 40, 60 years?

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
viking97 said:
someone said the religious, i'd extend that too anyone who simply doesn't think about something.
>implying the religious do not think about their beliefs.

Now, I don't think it's right of course, but certainly you can see how at least some religious beliefs (there's more than fundamentalist Christianity, you know) are at least plausible enough to hold up under the scrutiny of lay people not trained in philosophical thinking, and who have not been exposed to the arguments against the existence of God(s) or the validity of certain religious beliefs. And this is no better or greater scrutiny than we can really expect of them, don't you think? It is awfully hard to be aware of your ignorance unless you are aware of it in retrospect.

That, and it's worth mentioning that some of the greatest minds ever, have been religiously. Sir Issac Newton (who was so unimpressed by his own invention of calculus that he didn't even fucking tell anybody for the better part of a decade), actually taught specifically about the Christian faith. That was like his day job.

Senor Coolguy

Oct 9, 2011
Close-minded people are my problem. I just don't get why my being non-christian or democrat suddenly means that I'm going to h*** or that I'm evil and eat puppies for breakfast.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
summerof2010 said:
Brony Snip
I've stayed out of the whole "brony war" bullshit. I, like the Swiss, am neutral. I enjoyed the Power Puff Girls quite a lot as a child but have never been inclined to go and watch MLP. At the same time, I've not felt the need to question other people's reason for watching the show, even if they are an adult male (or whatever).

This is the first time I've gotten involved with an MLP discussion and it's simply to say this:

That was a nicely thought-out explanation. I still don't care either way, but at least I can understand the craze (apologies if you take offence to my choice of words) a little better.

= ]

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
http://news.yahoo.com/remains-274-us-troops-dumped-landfill-report-081234306.html

This. I cannot wrap my head around this. There are no words in the English language that are viscerally strong enough to convey how vile and inhuman this is.