No More Heroes 2 Takes 8-Bit Nostalgia to Another Level

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
No More Heroes 2 Takes 8-Bit Nostalgia to Another Level

Ubisoft has put out a new video starring No More Heroes 2 designer Suda 51 chatting up his game's new features, the most interesting of which are the new job missions, which are designed as 8-bit-esque 2D games.

The first No More Heroes smacked of retro nostalgia from head to toe, from the pixel-heart that represented Travis Touchdown's health to the enemies who spouted dozens of gold coins when you decapitated them with your lightsaber, err, "beam katana." No More Heroes 2 is upping the old-school tribute factor to a whole other level, though.

The job missions which provided mundane interludes between assassination levels in No More Heroes 1 have been replaced with, well, job missions that are done up in the style of classic 2D, 8-bit games. The coconut gathering job now finds Travis shaking down fruit from palm trees that look straight out of Sonic, there's some kind of Pipe Dream-type puzzle thing and what looks like a game where Travis has to cook burgers. These job missions might be just as boring as they were before - which was the point, really - but at least this time around they'll have this ridiculous nostalgia value.

Other new features Suda touches on in the video include some new katana abilities - you can now slice enemies vertically, and, since Travis now dual-wields his laser blades, can slice them with two horizontal slices. Travis' arsenal of wrestling moves has also been expanded, but really, you should watch the video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ORno0kN5NI] for Suda. The guy - his Japanese voice dubbed over by some guy with a ridiculously deep voice - plays with toilet paper, threatens to slice your head off and even almost suplexes a guy over the course of the four minute clip. And this is all in a bathroom stall.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I love you, Suda! You never cease to suprise me with new-age retro hippiness.
(Points for the refrence)

This sounds quite... Not exciting, more active than interesting...
*is at a loss for adjectives*

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
There's a reason I built a shrine to Suda51.

Seriously, is there any Wii owner who isn't practically wetting themselves in anticipation for this game?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I didn't like the first NMH much but at least this has the potential to make those jobs more fun.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Erana said:
I love you, Suda! You never cease to suprise me with new-age retro hippiness.
(Points for the refrence)
I got it. That's an Earthbound/Mother joke. Very clever.

Speaking of NMH, I still have yet to play the first, and a friend of mine has it (I think.) I need to see about that...

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Background looks 16 bit-ish. If it were to be true 8bit there should only be a few colours.

/nerd

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
There is no way I'm not going to enjoy this game! By far my most anticipated game out there.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Hoppetussa said:
Is it going to be censored in Europe again?
God I hope not. Not because I need blood to enjoy it, just because it was crap censoring which left nothing to the imagination.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hoppetussa said:
Hopefully we get the American version rather than the Japanese in Europe this time around.

But if not... I'll just import, like with the first game.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
gibboss28 said:
Hoppetussa said:
God I hope not. Not because I need blood to enjoy it, just because it was crap censoring which left nothing to the imagination.
It wasn't censoring. Blood was added for the US. Coins and ashpiles were how it originally was in Japan; the question is whether this is because it was censored in Japan and that version got ported to Europe, or if he originally intended to use blood.

Personally, I'd like to see the option switchable, with coins as default for Japan and Europe, and Blood default for the US. Just to be consistent with the previous game, and give everyone the option to play the game the way they want to.

Barky13

Apr 7, 2009
JediMB said:
Hoppetussa said:
Hopefully we get the American version rather than the Japanese in Europe this time around.

But if not... I'll just import, like with the first game.
I heard that they'll be releasing both a censored and uncensored version but I'm not sure the source was reliable. Anyway, I can't wait for this game. I loved the first one and I haven't gotten a new Wii game in a while.

Tempest Fennac

Aug 30, 2009
I never knew the first game was censored to be honest. So far it looks good. If there's normal Beam Kartanas, longer BKs and dual-weilding ones, what do you think the 4th type which was mentioned will be? I'm wondering if it will be a projectile weapon due to the other 3 being melee weapons.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Tempest Fennac said:
I never knew the first game was censored to be honest. So far it looks good. If there's normal Beam Kartanas, longer BKs and dual-weilding ones, what do you think the 4th type which was mentioned will be? I'm wondering if it will be a projectile weapon due to the other 3 being melee weapons.
Double bladed lightsabers beam katanas?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Hoppetussa said:
If it does, I'm going to have to import it again, hopefully not. Word on the street is, there are going to be two different versions, one with blood and one without.

BobisOnlyBob said:
gibboss28 said:
Hoppetussa said:
It wasn't censoring. Blood was added for the US. Coins and ashpiles were how it originally was in Japan; the question is whether this is because it was censored in Japan and that version got ported to Europe, or if he originally intended to use blood.

Personally, I'd like to see the option switchable, with coins as default for Japan and Europe, and Blood default for the US. Just to be consistent with the previous game, and give everyone the option to play the game the way they want to.
It was censoring. The blood wasn't added, that is how it was originally made, then the coins and ash was added to censor it. Suda had been hyping the first game for some time, and said it would be more violent than Manhunt 2. Then I think some of the higher ups bricked it and censored the thing in the more sensitive regions. And if you look at all of his past stuff, he doesn't shy away from violence.