No More Movie Games for EA

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
This is somewhat of a loss, actually. There were a few good movie tie-in games over the years, such as Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (and I am sure some soul will mention GoldenEye as well). However, considering that the majority of such titles inevitably end up being of very poor quality, I suppose it is a worthy sacrifice.

Overall, though, this does go to show how dire things have become for the movie industry when game developers don't find it worthwhile to use movie IP's for their games.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Hooray! Less rushed-out-the door shovelware! I've had some less-than-perfect experiences with movie tie-in games.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
A Pious Cultist said:
zombie711 said:
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Yeah - why is it that Mirror's Edge doesn't get a sequel when something like Dead Space does?
mirror's edge took 8 years to make. That makes it Dice's dream game.
I'm sure you either misspelt or misread 8 months considering the game was announced and released within a year.
your right I misread. it was 7 years
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98777-Mirrors-Edge-Seven-Years-in-the-Making

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Did EA's heart just grow six sizes? What the fuck is going on? If you had told me ten years ago EA would become nice while Activision would become dicks I would have told you to go smoke your crack elsewhere... What's next? Cat's and Dogs living together?

THIS IS MADNESS I SAY!!! MADNESS!!!
Madness?

THIS. IS. SPARRRRTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

I still don't forgive them for making spore all kiddy.

Tom Phoenix said:
This is somewhat of a loss, actually. There were a few good movie tie-in games over the years, such as Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (and I am sure some soul will mention GoldenEye as well).
And the 2005 King kong tie in.

I have a sort of in universe style field guide for that movie, with all the wildlife on skull island.

The insert of the cover said something like "It is humbling to see a place where man is reduced to a state of rodents, scrambling in the dirt, inferior to all other creatures".

The game felt like that, guns were far and few between, nearly every creature other than the crabs, scorpide (the scoprion like one), and the centipedes was MASSIVELY more deadly than you, the player.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I have to admit, I love hearing these kinds of positive, forward-looking ideas from the top of the pile. The fact that he even acknowledges a small time, unique idea that didn't quite pull in the big numbers as still having a worthwhile existence is promise enough for me. Though I gotta be honest - I'd still like to see them come up with a new IP rather than try to wear out something that already had a small interest, if only because I hate to see an idea run dry and boring and still sell the same amount as a totally new concept. Heck, I was sick of Deathspank before I even finished the game, and that's got a sequel.

I'd also like to add that these "minor" press releases tend not to make it on certain other big gaming sites, and that's yet another reason I love the escapist. You guys can find some of the important stuff, no matter how small it seems.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I thought Mirror's Edge was an amazing game (played on PC if that matters).
I likewise was a bit underwhelmed with dead space.

I guess I'm just broken.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Let's name all the good movie-tie-in games...

...The Return of the King...
...Spiderman 2...

I think that's it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
CkretAznMan said:
Let's name all the good movie-tie-in games...

...The Return of the King...
...Spiderman 2...

I think that's it.
Does Goldeneye count? It wasn't a tie-in per say as it was not created to release with the movie, but it was a movie game.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
dmase said:
Thats the president of EA? He looks so mild mannered, not exactly someone you would expect at the helm of a corporate giant.
He's the head of the EA Games label.

Edit: He's just as friendly a guy as he looks. I got the chance to talk with him a little bit around the time our studio was bought up.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
The end of horrible movie games!! Bwahahahaha.

Now we can make more games that are LIKE movies, like mass effect, the acting, it makes my brain melt from too much awesome....

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
No More Movie Games for EA

"The movie game business is falling apart," according to EA Games [http://www.ea.com]
Really? I never noticed! Because that Iron Man 2 game was just EPIIIIIIIIIIC!

/sarcasm

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
About fucking time! And they get this now?! They had to notice the bad sales and reviews of the movie games...

Where they blind and deaf?

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Ok, it's official. Activision siphoned off EA's evil and left them practically dry of it.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
(1) - EA are the reason there were so many crappy movie licensed games.

(2) - They made a fortune off them.

(3) - Movie studios now recognise this and want to charge more, and have better creative control over their IPs, which game studios like EA have been raping for years.

(4) - EA claims they going to make original games instead. (While secretly hoping to leverage a better deal for licensed product).

(5) - Until then they will continue to release the same sports games every single year (and two if there's a special event that year - e.g the World Cup).

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Yeah - why is it that Mirror's Edge doesn't get a sequel when something like Dead Space does?
Mirror's Edge has only had a sequel hinted at, oh, I don't know - At least a fair few times now. DICE are busy with Battlefield but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that ME2 development is on-going or coming up soon.

What I hope EA are realising is that they're one of the biggest firms around in terms of gaming. Screw Activision and their coasting on Blizzard's coattails, and Nintendo and their franchise milking. EA have, over the past couple of years, put out a good number of new IPs and injected some originality into the gaming scene. Bulletstorm looks really high quality, Mirror's Edge was amazingly polished, they've got BioWare pumping out some not-bad RPGs (But, then again, there's almost no one to rival them). Yes, they have some milking going on (Sims, Battlefield etc), but they're not being unusual with it - All major publishers have cash cows.

They need to keep this up and continue to bring out high quality titles.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Good on him, every time I see a movie game I just want to vomit, the poor guys forced to work on such dreck. You can make great games out of existing IP, just look at Batman: AA, an exceptional game, but the restrictions that come with a movie/game combo just kill the games.

Look at the Avatar game, it was bloody horrible, but it could have been exceptional if the game developers had been given time and freedom to play in that universe.