No Multiplayer in Prototype

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
No, and I hope this breaks the train of thought that games HAVE to have multiplayer.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Huh, before I read this I thought Prototype was exclusive to some platform I didn't have... Sounds like I should theoretically care but the premise doesn't sound terribly interesting, especially with the sepia color screenshot (it seems we've advanced to using higher resolutions for our games but on the way forgot how to use COLOR TVs). Looks pretty generic, as if they copied someone else's noted (I dont think even two devs would independently come up with using sepia tones for a modern game)... and another game I wouldn't buy on a console because there's a PC version available. Is there any reason I even bothered buying that oversized paperweight?

DR.GRIM

Aug 31, 2008
theres only one mulltiplayer game type i can think of and that would be one vs all, people play as soldiers to take down the prototype. that would be pretty fun, but for about 10 minutes, then everyone would just get bored.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Lullabye said:
Actually, there is going to be co-op fable 2 style. But only if they finish the single player and have enough time left over to install it.
I hope not! Now THAT would be tacked on.
Just leave it and spend the extra time tweaking or something.

Plus the Fable 2 Co-op was terrible.
I know. But it might be fun with 2 mnsters running around a city killling everything just...like...fable...2.....yuck.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
This is the type of game I don't think would work or make sense with multiplayer.

I think this is good - focus on the single player experience. :)

lozzab

Feb 21, 2009
I would be perfectly happy about lack of multiplayer if it resulted in a lower pricetag... I fear that it may limit replayability which would be a serious downside if it requires forking out a fair chunk of money.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
scarbunny said:
Thank god for that.

Not every game needs mulitplayer!
but it does mean the single player has to be that much more awesome to justify the pricetag
All that needs to be said. Bioshock didn't suffer for the lack of multiplayer, though it would have been awesome to have it...

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
scotth266 said:
Cousin_IT said:
scarbunny said:
Thank god for that.

but it does mean the single player has to be that much more awesome to justify the pricetag
All that needs to be said. Bioshock didn't suffer for the lack of multiplayer, though it would have been awesome to have it...
I personally curse myself for buying Bioshock. Not because its bad but because as awesome as it is, I rented it first then found after paying £40 for it I only had 30mins of the game left to play *facepalm*

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
scotth266 said:
Cousin_IT said:
scarbunny said:
Thank god for that.

I personally curse myself for buying Bioshock. Not because its bad but because as awesome as it is, I rented it first then found after paying £40 for it I only had 30mins of the game left to play *facepalm*
Well, at least you gave 2k some money for that awesome game, y'know? Besides, now you have your own copy that you can play whenever.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
scotth266 said:
Cousin_IT said:
scotth266 said:
Cousin_IT said:
scarbunny said:
Thank god for that.

Well, at least you gave 2k some money for that awesome game, y'know? Besides, now you have your own copy that you can play whenever.
I tried replaying it, but knowing the story only left me with the gameplay, which tbh didnt hold me very long.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
I tried replaying it, but knowing the story only left me with the gameplay, which tbh didnt hold me very long.
Yeah, but when you're 80, you'll be like: "Hey, I remember Bioshock! That was WAAAY back in the day...", and then you'll have a copy to swing out for some good times. That's why I keep all my games, so when I'm senile they'll be fun all over again.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
June 12th? I'm getting it on my birthday on 13th.

Valiance said:
This is the type of game I don't think would work or make sense with multiplayer.

I think this is good - focus on the single player experience. :)
Agree. It would either turn into a griefing machine (worse than L4D ;p), where one super player kills over and over others, or it would be a pointless all vs all massacre. Where everyone stops every 10 seconds to use a super-move.

I say - very good, I want a long single-player. LONGER than DarkSector. Because if you make it San Andreas (length) + DarkSector (powers + bloooood) it will be pure awesomeness.

Oh, and they have one thing less to do - optimize network code and make sure it works without lags.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
scotth266 said:
Cousin_IT said:
Yeah, but when you're 80, you'll be like: "Hey, I remember Bioshock! That was WAAAY back in the day...", and then you'll have a copy to swing out for some good times. That's why I keep all my games, so when I'm senile they'll be fun all over again.
probably by that time the OS will have moved on to such a stage it's no longer compatible assuming you're going to be 80 in 30 or more years

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
ravensshade said:
scotth266 said:
Cousin_IT said:
probably by that time the OS will have moved on to such a stage it's no longer compatible assuming you're going to be 80 in 30 or more years
Hence why you keep the consoles. You can bet your ass that I'm gonna have a PS2 and a 360 when I'm an old fart, along with a Gamecube for posterity.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
scarbunny said:
Thank god for that.

What? No, like he said not every game needs multiplayer. There were plenty of games last gen that were good that were single player only. I mean it already looks like it will be good so it's already justified. If it were amazing, that would be better but for now I'm just hoping for a good game that reminds me of Spiderman 2

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Good to hear. Actually i'm looking forward to this game a little more now that I know the singleplayer will be the entire focus of the design team.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
They did that with The Darkness and it flopped. Whenever too many people joined, the game would begin to lag horribly. So, yeah no multiplayer. Besides, It'll be fun to throw a soldier into the blades of an attack chopper and destroy it. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
I'm glad it doesn't have multiplayer, there are enough multiplayer games out there anyway. All it would serve to do is waste their time and drag the overall game down. I just hope it has some length to it unlike most other new games these days.