"no-one in the world is more reviled than a pretty woman" samantha brick

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
A-D. said:
Pride is a cardinal sin, after all.
Christianity promotes humility, but not false humility. Remember the story of Job? All his friends and neighbors tried to get him to apologize to God, but Job knew he hadn't sinned, so he just kept on truckin' instead of trying to deprecate himself.

I'm kind of saddened that so many people decided to take this conversation in the direction of criticizing Mrs. Brick's appearance, as if calling her an uggo is all the consideration and response she deserves. I suppose it can be argued that she brought it on herself by bringing the topic up in the first place, but I think a discussion publicly judging her attractiveness really misses the point, so all I'm going to say on the topic of how pretty she is is that it's a comparative standard, and you only have to be prettier than the person who's jealous of you for that jealousy to exist in the first place.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe that her complaint has some merit. I'm a white, straight man in America, so I should have all the benefits, right? Unfortunately, I've chosen a career path where those traits are held against me. In nursing, a field dominated widely by women, I'm ostracized, I'm denied work, and my coworkers will tell me right to my face how men don't have the emotional equipment for providing real medical care and should instead just be doctors, whom of course they consider to be arrogant know-it-alls whose only function is to get in a nurse's way while she provides the real medical care.

So yeah, I'm willing to bet that having an otherwise advantageous personal trait can be a liability a person would rather not deal with. As to whether Mrs. Bricks particular claims have any merit, well, who knows; but I find the principle sound.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
It's an understandable response though.

Even when someone is actually good enough looking for that kind of arrogant self opinion to be true, when they talk about themselves in such a way you want to slap a bit of reality into them. So when someone isn't actually all that spectacular to begin with and they think themselves the shit, well it's just asking for a 'lul wut, u horsey' response.

I mean if someone came onto these forums and didn't use punctuation, misspelled simple words, confused simple concepts and all around derped it up, then kept going on about how intelligent they were. Well you can imagine the kind of backlash they'd receive, especially if there were insulting other people in the process.

I don't see why she should escape a bit of wrath for her incredibly self absorbed world view, especially considering how inaccurate it is.
Yeah, but then you call her out on her ARROGANCE, not her looks. Getting fussed about her looks makes people sound like the looks obsessed idiots she's proclaiming them to be.

And note, I am not saying that caring about looks is silly, just that getting outraged that she's not a 10 is throwing wild punches at the wrong target.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Shivarage said:
OneCatch said:
*odd worshipping*
Why must you insist on giving her more attention? why insist on linking everything she's done just to go "don't bother"?

If it's not worth noticing

STOP SPREADING IT!!!
Haha, I appreciate the sentiment. That's kind of why I quoted it instead of providing links. And I always go and annoy right wingers in the comments section to make up for the hits on the page. :p

And just to clarify, I was being sarcastic with the praise!!

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Wait she's saying SHE'S a beautiful woman? Now I don't like to judge people's looks but...no. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but no. There is something off about her face, the symmetry just isn't right. And her neck looks 4 years older then her face. And that smile is just fucken creepy. I'm sure their are people who think she's pretty but...from where I'm sitting no. Just...no.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
It?s hard when everyone resents you for your looks. Men think ?what?s the point, she?s out of my league? and don?t ask you out.
Are you sure it's not because they think you're not attractive?

I hate the term "first world problems", buuuuut in this case it's fair to make an exception.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
What the hell? Shes ugly as sin.

Pretty by British standards maybe... Hehe.
Dont you go dissin' our women yo. We have Emma Watson for Christ's sake.

Quakester

Blaster Master
Apr 27, 2010
No one in the world is more reviled than an arrogant jerk.

Whether she's attractive or not (which is completely opinion) saying that people hate you because you are gorgeous is bound to draw ire from people. Arrogance is far from an endearing trait.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Gabanuka said:

Man, I forgot all about her. Shes not that pretty tho-

Alright, alright! I will admit it. You guys have the most beautiful woman in the world.

Admit it again.

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
The point that "People who are more attractive get treated differently than those who aren't" is a valid point, but it's no where near a new one. That idea's been around for thousands of years. In the modern world "if you're thin, you win" has been true in my experience.

Narrowing her argument down ("Attractive women get the short end of the stick in social circles") may be valid...? If it were, it really doesn't apply to enough people to warrant international attention. This whole story feels artificially inflated - i.e. trolled.

To me, she's not very attractive. I see more attractive women in my day-to-day life. I think it must be that disconnect that has folks riled up - the fact that she believes she is very beautiful to the outside world. I suppose it can be written up as "arrogance", I don't know. I'd classify it more as "overconfidence" even though the two share similar definitions, I always felt that "arrogance" had the idea of a priori or empirical proof of accomplishment whereas "confidence" could be likened to "faith" - as in, "I am confident that I can walk across the busy highway unharmed."

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Swyftstar said:
You can't swing a dead rat without hitting one of them.
That comment combined with that avatar = RATFLAAILLLL!!!!!1!

OP: That woman is a low 6 to me. Her smile probably scares children, her looks are beginning to sag, and her personality is a whopping 2/10. I don't think I've seen this kind of legendary conceitedness since... well I can't think of a time =|
You wouldn't get this level if you combined Johnny Bravo with Austin Powers and Lord Farquad.

And no, people are not telling you off because you are pretty, they are telling you off because your head is so far up your ass that they can't see your face and tell if you are pretty.
I know many more girls that are much prettier than this wench, and they are not hounded by random guys buying things for her. I think she's full of shit.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Gabanuka said:

Man, I forgot all about her. Shes not that pretty tho-

Alright, alright! I will admit it. You guys have the most beautiful woman in the world.

And again.
Technically she's Scottish

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Is she trolling? Seriously, she's like a 6 tops. Also, her smile is scary... Like she's only learning how to replicate human emotion. Holy shit, she smiles like the female t1001 in Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles.
This is about exactly what I'd like to say. So, thanks.