No Right Answer: 90's Cartoon Most Deserving a Reboot

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, Salli Richardson was Eliza Maza. Marina Sirtis played Demona. I loved how complex the characters were and the fact that they tipped a lot of hats to Shakespeare.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Hell yes, Gargoyles! That show was the shit, and any who doesn't think so is STUPID.

Pictured above, haters of Gargoyles.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Just recently watched the whole Gargoyles series. Sadly it originally aired after i had become just a bit too old for cartoons so i missed out on it during the 90's. After having it brought up here and there on the escapist, i decided to give it a shot. It was pretty damn good. Even as a grown man in my 30's, i loved it.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Would I rather see a well made Swat Kats reboot or a well made Gargoyles reboot?
A bit like asking would I rather go on a date with Kiera Knightley or a date with Shakira.
They were both excellent series that were years ahead of their time and never fully appreciated by either the studios or the general audience. From an objective standpoint, Gargoyles had more depth and was better executed, but Swat Kats had more potential. On the surface, Swat Kats oozed style and class, yet viewed now, it felt rather underdone. Its villains were cliche and one-dimensional. Gargoyles had a superb array of enemies to fight, all of them believable, plus its had arcs. Something that very few western cartoons, even now possess.
A Swat Kats reboot, made with the style and intensity of the original, whilst holding a depth and sophistication similar to that of Gargoyles would be something to behold.
Gargoyles on the other hand, I always fear to say this, had run its course. After the great climax on the island of Avalon, was left with nowhere to go. The final series always felt as if it was grasping at straws, like it wasn't going anywhere. That being said, this is one issue on which I would be gladly proven wrong. If someone comes along and writes a proper third series, one with the depth and drive and structure of the first two. That too I would watch with open arms.
As to which I would rather see? Still can't decide. This fence that I am sitting on right now is going to become my sofa and I defy anyone to tell me otherwise.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
VulakAerr said:
Yeah, Salli Richardson was Eliza Maza. Marina Sirtis played Demona. I loved how complex the characters were and the fact that they tipped a lot of hats to Shakespeare.
I knew someone was gonna beat me to it, setting them straight on Marina Sirtis.

Gargoyles had a lot more story to tell when it was cancelled; a story continued somewhat in a graphic novel/comic book form that itself had to be cancelled because Disney hiked their licensing fees. Fucking Disney.

Anyway, Gargoyles all the way. Swat Kats doesn't even come close.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Rituro said:
Obviously, ReBoot deserves a reboot. It's in the frakkin' name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBoot
Curses! I came here to say the same! God damn, I love me some ReBoot.

OT: I vaguely remember Gargoyles but I honestly have no recollection of Swat Kats at all. However it seems like just the sort of thing I'd watch. Yeah, that's right, I'd even watch it now.

My vote goes to Road Rovers...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Is it just me or was Chris just talking nonsense through most of that? ...or maybe I just couldn't make sense of what he was talking about.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Ehhh... personally I think both shows stand on their own, and to reboot them would be to risk losing something special about them...

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Ishal said:
Keith David was Goliath. He voiced Anderson in Mass Effect.

REALLY!? Thank you! Anderson's voice bugged the hell out of me because it sounded so familiar but I couldn't place it despite adoring Gargoyles growing up.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Gargoyles needs a continuation, SWAT Kats needs a reboot.

A Gargoyles reboot/continuation most likely could only be as good as the original was. I believe a reboot of SWAT Kats could actually be an improvement. It could take a closer look at the world, maybe answer questions like where the hell Dark Kat and his Creeplings came from, or why the Enforcers needed their own tanks and fighter jets to defend a single city.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Hearing the Swat Kats with different voice actors & drawn in a different style would not sit well with me. It would also just remind me of how terrible the Biker Mice from Mars remake from 2006 was.

Disney recycles their stuff, but they don't do reboots. I always thought Gargoyles was too cool & adult to be a Disney product. Look what Disney did to season 2. & worse, they'd probably have Pixar make a movie for it where the art style would be different & it would be childish & punny & watered down. The original voices & writers probably wouldn't return.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Pedro_chileno said:
Can grumpy cat and nyan cat have their own jet?
This is probably EXACTLY what the reboot would be. XD
Wow, though, those final moments of chris talking about the character's names perfectly explains why its so hard to defend that show.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I'd rather see some more Darkwing Duck.
Not really a reboot, but rather that third season that got canceled.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
SWAT Kats was a stupid TMNT cash-in that no one was interested in when it was on the air. People are just talking it up "ironically" now because it's funny that they ever made something so stupid. Gargoyles was a great show that had high production values and probably got cancelled because it cost too much to make for a kids show. I could see them remaking or continuing Gargoyles, whenever Disney runs out of other ideas. SWAT Kats is dead for good.

mremaknu

Mar 6, 2012
Sadly Gargoyles is one of those properties in which Disney has no apparent faith (they won't release the second half of season 2 on DVD), but still won't sell it to anybody. The creator, Greg Weisman, has been trying for ages to get it the attention and care it deserves.

Also the Gathering no longer happens because it ran out of money, which was very very sad because there was a bit of a tradition for Thom Adcox (Lexington) to drop his pants at least once per con.

Also, the biggest reason Gargoyles wins this argument? THE SHOW TREATED KIDS LIKE THEY COULD HANDLE SERIOUS STORIES AND COMPLICATED PLOTS. PEOPLE BLED AND GOT SHOT BY BULLETS AND NEARLY DIED. Stuff had consequences, long-reaching ones. Good god almighty.

Also, King Arthur was supposed to be voiced by Patrick Stewart, but sadly scheduling conflicts happened.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I never saw Gargoyles but Swat Kats was awesome. However, I don't think they could reboot it and it still be as cool.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Kyle was great this week. If I was arguing Chris on this my first reply would be a three-minute hoarse NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dan, ponies are not anthropomorphic. They're still horse shaped. Get your shit together, man.

Nicole Maronn

Nov 22, 2012
My two cents. Since MovieBob already mentioned his wish to see Gargoyles get a reboot in an episode of The Big Picture, I won't go into too much detail on what I think. To put it simply, I am not interested in seeing a reboot of Gargoyles. Now Swat Kats, on the other hand, I can totally see a continuation, not a reboot. I was more of a Swat Kats fan than a Gargoyles fan when I was a kid (especially since Swat Kats had kick ass theme song), so a continuation of the series I could get behind. Also, while the show did have a few strong female characters that did support the heroes, if a continuation where to happen, I would love to see a female pilot accompany T-Bone and Razor (or T-Bone and Razor's children/relatives) on missions. I know some people not might agree with me on this, but if a new chapter in Swat Kats needs to be added, I think having a female ally would help not only freshen the formula, but also draw in new fans as well.