No Right Answer: 90's Cartoon Most Deserving a Reboot

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
What about Mighty Max the way it ended it needed a second season since Max reset time he could have done things right this time there was so much to explore!!

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
The Random One said:
Kyle was great this week. If I was arguing Chris on this my first reply would be a three-minute hoarse NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dan, ponies are not anthropomorphic. They're still horse shaped. Get your shit together, man.
Definition of anthropomorphic is attributing human form OR characteristics to anything other than humans. Boom son, looks like Dan just done dropped some knowledge on yo punk ass!

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
I wanna gif of Chris talking about that mayor cat so bad.
Also as much I love Gargoyles (they aren't actually gargoyles btw) if the Adult Swim's line-up proves anything, it's that the show most deserving of a reboot is the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest.
<youtube=gIuuPTM3nSc>
that doesn't need a reboot they just need to start making the episodes again, the animation is still good. hell it was ahead of its time if it would have waited like 5 more years before airing it would still be on now.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Feh. Gargoyles or Swat Kats? You people should be thinking much further afield, especially with the likes of Adult Swim as a venue.

While they both have a lot of good memories for you all, I'm sure, as well as many of the other popular cartoons that have been mentioned, Reboot, Freakazoid, et al, but they all had decent runs during their time.

No, the toons most deserving of a reboot are those that were tragically cut short before they could fulfill their promises.

Let's start with:

Santo Bugito
The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat
and, surprisingly absent in this particular forum, Earthworm Jim, the only cartoon I've heard recite the Bene Gesserit litany against fear.

Edit:
Now let's add Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I can't wait until we have discussions about the cartoons from the late 90s and early 00s.

For instance: Codename: Kids Next Door v.s. The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. I can NOT wait for these arguments.

DarksBlade

May 10, 2010
while i agree with the outcome that gargoyles would be best served by a reboot ( and would probably be the most succesful option what with disney doing so well lately) i gotta say other shows would have made more sense then swat kats .. like Exo-squad or as was mentioned pirates of darkwater. as to other things mentioned i have fond memories of reboot and freakazoid ... if reboot was every done i would suggest a longer 1st season that would basically condense the first season into say the first 5 episodes just for world building

and as for freakazoid ... it does not need reboot just new episodes ... i'm pretty sure bob or jim or somebody mention just how ahead of it's time freakazoid was and i see no reason to change anything

also why exo-squad did you guys see where it ended the war was over and then the aliens from robotech invaded (was to be a big cross over but season 3 never happened)would love to see it redone with better animation and actually getting to the universe combining

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
If it had to be only one, I'd go with something a little more.....dangerous.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I guess both shows are equally viable today

Gargoyels could be made into the next Twiligth-clone, with hot-ish brooding gargoyels for teen girls to lust secretly for.

Swat Kats (my favorite) could work as a combination of military fanwank and, well, toys. Tons of toys. In that sense it'd fit more for a younger 8 to teen audience, while a rebooted gargoyles would be for teens primarily. Still, Swat kats had the best opening themes by far.

Reboot - well - the movies did end on a cliffhanger. If anything that series shouldn't be rebooted as much as have a sequel with a new cast. Instead of setting it in a mainframe, this show would be in the cloud and would use more modern internet and tech tropes. Of course, that'd be stepping a little on Trons toes, but I think it'd more than possible to differentiate the two.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Holywoodout of ideas? That's bull crap. More afraid to try new things is more accurate. And we don't want reboots because that's all we've been getting for the last 5 years and they are usually worse than the original.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Also as much I love Gargoyles (they aren't actually gargoyles btw) if the Adult Swim's line-up proves anything, it's that the show most deserving of a reboot is the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest.
<youtube=gIuuPTM3nSc>
Best opening right here.

OT: Both were good shows, the 90's were campy as fuck but my god, did they know how to work it!

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
<youtube=gIuuPTM3nSc>
Holy shit, I remember watching this ages ago, tried to find out what it was called for years but I was out of luck. Thank you good ser.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
I am not that surprised Gargoyles won. One thing that wasn't mentioned was when they touched upon Shakespearean references and other cultures' iconography, mostly throughout the second season with that last bit when they found Avalon. The use of specific horror iconography helped with the popularity of "The Real Ghostbusters" (like Bob mentioned in this Big Picture episode [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2854-Two-Many-Busters]), so I'm not surprised something similar helped Gargoyles.

Though...I have to ask. Could you imagine, say...Marvel deciding to incorporate these guys into their universe like DC did with characters like Static? Seeing as how NYC is superhero central for the most part in the Marvel universe, I bet it would make for some interesting plots. As well as a few yuks when Spiderman realizes the gargoyle "Bruce" he was talking to in that one animated series turned out to be Bronx...who then proceeds to try and lick his mask off.

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
I never saw SWAT Cats, so pretty much everything I know about the series stems from this video. This might make me sound like a bit of a jerk, but Chris didn't make the case for that show very well - after watching the video my entire understanding of SWAT Cats was that it featured cats (plural, so I know there was more then one protagonist) in a fighter jet.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Nghtgnt said:
I never saw SWAT Cats, so pretty much everything I know about the series stems from this video. This might make me sound like a bit of a jerk, but Chris didn't make the case for that show very well - after watching the video my entire understanding of SWAT Cats was that it featured cats (plural, so I know there was more then one protagonist) in a fighter jet.
AND YOU NEED MORE?

Swat Kats was class, oooooooh so much class, just the setting and the action holds up and oh, that theme song.
Gargoyles was cool, but didn't really engage me much, I always felt it fell slightly short of the imagination of Arc shows that came before like Jayce and Wheeled Warriors, Visionaries and others of their ilk. But Swat Kats, Swat Kats was just about high octane action.

fat american

Apr 2, 2008
Tanner The Monotone said:
Ed,Edd,n Eddy would be awesome.
Nah, Ed, Edd, n Eddy had a good run and ended properly. It doesn't really need to come back.

If I had to pick a show from the 90's to pick back up again I'd have to say Mobile Suit Gundam. I know that they still have new episodes somewhere, at least last I checked, but they aren't anywhere near the same. They're all squishy and about love interests instead of a kick-ass space war with fifty foot tall robots. Which makes me want to get some MS points and buy the classic episodes they have on Xbox-live...

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
I'm not going to deny the impact of how amazing Gargoyles is and how much potential it has for the modern-era, especially now with things like Homeland Security being such a big deal and corporations gaining more power to almost rival states, as well as the effect of organizations like Anonymous on the modern-world (I for one would pay to see a Lexington try to out-hack a whole army of Anonymous hackers, or just have his own network of follower hackers that act to protect the Gargoyles).

The landscape of today is pretty perfect for a new Gargoyles, but I'd also like to see the return of Captain Planet. The world of today, while becoming more tech oriented and frightening, is also more knowledgeable and willing to do its part in helping protect the planet. There's more ecological tech available at the home level now and there's a lot more people can do at the individual level to help the environment. Plus e-cycling has become a huge thing and there could also be segments where they show off new green tech innovations.

But in the contest of Gargoyles vs. Capt. Planet I'm pretty sure everyone will vote for Gargoyles. The only issue is (well besides Disney not giving up the rights) the Gothic and neo-Gothic tones the show has been known for and how exactly its going to fit into the new style of the age.

I only know one thing for certain: if Gargoyles does come back, Lexington would be A LOT more powerful if the show was set today than back then.