No Right Answer: Attack on Attack on Titan

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Attack on Attack on Titan

The good news is Dan tried an Anime that's not only current, but widely popular! The bad news is, it's terrible, and he enlisted Chris to help tear it a new one.

Watch Video

Silverspud

Sep 6, 2011
Suggestions? Cowboy Bebop! Sorry, Chris. You shouldn't have whispered. Couldn't hear you over Bebop theme song that's always playing in my head.

chetoos

Jul 13, 2009
I saw that Dan watched Fullmetal Alchemist, but that series isn't as good as the other series, fullmetal alchemist brotherhood. It's more loyal to the manga, and the story makes a lot more sense, so it would be a better anime for Dan to watch.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
We should all be glad that Dan has not watched Naruto. The amount of time it takes anyone to do anything combined with the filler arcs would probebly make his head explode.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Honestly I haven't seen any good anime series in a while. Gurren Lagann was pretty good as well as Android Kikaider.
Sword of the Stranger and Karas are about the only 2 good Animes I can recommend, even though Sword of the Stranger is a movie and Karas was a mini series in Japan.

I watched Attack on Titan on Netflix and I'll admit it piqued my interest; however the manga quickly squashed that because it can go from exciting to dead cold within a matter of a few chapters.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Watch the Endless 8 episodes of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya if you want to really experience nothing happening in an anime.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Best localized Anime... Samurai Pizza Cats.
Dammit, you beat me to it. It's the best localization because that's the only thing it could have been.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
We should all be glad that Dan has not watched Naruto. The amount of time it takes anyone to do anything combined with the filler arcs would probebly make his head explode.
Yeah....the filler really is just....awful :\

OT: The thing is. With anime, you got to take it for what it is. Japanese culture and communication is so hugely different in some aspects that you just CANT translate it and it works. I guess thats what the guys mean with localization, but in my opinion its almost impossible to make work. When I watch anime I ALWAYS watch it subbed. When I do, the alien-ness of the content makes my mind receive it differently. The language makes my brain expect different culture, different communication. Then stuff can work.

Honestly, anime has gotten less and less interesting to me, but two series that have held my attention are Naruto and Berserk.

Naruto is suffering BADLY from the filler-syndrome, and the berserk anime is....not great. Fortunately Berserk has just been released in movie format as well, doing the Golden Arc in 3 movies. Its WELL worth the watch imo, even if a lot of story content is cut, and the characters suffer a bit from it.

Still, 3 movies is not a huge investment and its WELL worth the watch. Imo. Although its not for the squeamish :eek:

Jan 12, 2012
Cousin_IT said:
Watch the Endless 8 episodes of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya if you want to really experience nothing happening in an anime.
Even the title is sapping my will to live...

OT: I hear the kids these days are all about their Pokemans, maybe try that.

Also, I hope to see an episode where it's just the babies sitting around the table, arguing Dora vs. Sesame Street as their dads puppet them. You know, good old-fashioned parenting.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Outlaw Star is awful though, Chris D:

Okay, so no to Cowboy Bebop... how about Darker than Black or Black Lagoon? Both of those have great dubs and stuff is constantly happening!

MikeTheMonk

Jul 24, 2014
I will say that I'm a HUGE fan of Attack on Titan. I greatly enjoyed the anime and make a point to purchase the books when they come out. But when I saw this video, I was actually excited to see what these guys have to say. Because there are some SERIOUS problems with the manga (one thing that always distracts me is just how ugly some of the art can be. Peoples' faces look like they're always caught in mid-scream even when they shouldn't be. And the sooner the most recent arc in the manga gets finished, the better).

But this video....how much time do they actually spend discussing "Attack on Titan" and not "this is a microcosm for what is wrong with anime/manga as a whole"? I want to see what they think about characterization, the art style, the plot, things that are specific to the series itself. When they were talking about how the anime has to cram a lot of characters that they want us to care about in the second half, that was something I found interesting and wanted to hear expanded on. But that point gets dropped before they go anywhere with it.

I get that neither of the two guys are anime fans, that's perfectly fine. I'm all for hearing them discuss But if you're video is going to be discussing the flaws and shortcomings of a series, I would hope that you actually stick with that premise for the entire video.

EDIT: Also, if you want a great anime series: Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, and Romeo X Juliet. I happily recommend all three.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
I'd recommend Seirei no Moribito and Last Exile. They were both fantastic, in my opinion. I can't really vouch for the dubs, though, as I did not watch those.

CaptainBill22

Nov 18, 2009
Mushi-shi is a good one, but it's more episodic and doesn't have a real overarching story. Each episode is very well written. Psychopass is good too, though I've only sen it subbed. Clannad, Clannad After Story, and Angel Beats are also great as well, again I watch them subbed. Some shows like Full Metal Alchemist and DBZ are a couple shows I like the dubs. However this is a subjective topic.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Silverspud said:
Suggestions? Cowboy Bebop! Sorry, Chris. You shouldn't have whispered. Couldn't hear you over Bebop theme song that's always playing in my head.
The only anime tv show I will watch. It is legitimately cool. Great English dub too.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Usually Second Generation Anime titles are much better then original releases. Hellsing is crap, but Hellsiung Ultimate is awesome, Fullmetal Alchamist is ho hum, but Brotherhood is great, The Guyver drags on, but Guyver: The Bio Boosted Armor is awesome.

Tenchi Universe is awesome if you like Magic Girl Harem Sitcoms. Same with Ah! My Goddess.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Dan, you should watch Mushi-shi. Each episode is relatively self-contained and everything is given a proper explanation. It's a chill show, set in Edo era Japan, about a wandering medicine-man type character called Ginko. He is a Mushi-shi, which means he researches Mushi and solves problems caused by them. They are a type of primeval life that most humans can't see.

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
In my opinion, the best localized anime is Baccano!. A good part of that is because the series itself is set in Prohibition-era USA, and the voice actors use appropriate accents for the time and location. Of course, the same could also be said for series like Hellsing Ultimate and Black Butler that are set in England, but, at least to me, Baccano! also has most other series beat when it comes to characters and story.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
The only Anime's that I can stand to listen to in English are Full Metal Alchemist, Baccano! and Mushishi.

I'm not sure if they're up to Chris' localization standards, but I enjoyed all of them quite a bit.