No Right Answer: Best Comic Book Universe Ever

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Marvel all the way. Been a fan since the old X-Men Cartoons, and while I liked that Batman Animated series and Teen Titans, they can't overcome my dislike/hatred of Superman.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Hm, I think I'll make this easier on myself and just go by how I liked their big events. (note I stopped reading comics a while ago, although as far as I know the only big event I missed from both companies is the Age of Ultron thing.)

Off the top of my head Marvel had Dark Reign, World War Hulk, Civil War, House of M, Siege, Fear Itself, Avengers vs. X-Men, Spider-Island, etc etc etc. Most(but not all) of these were pretty good, and I had fun reading them.

DC had Infinite Crisis, 52, 1 year later, Amazons Attack, Countdown to final crisis, Final Crisis, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Flashpoint, etc etc etc. Most of these on the other hand were terrible to meh, with Blackest Night imo being the only real bright spot.(pun intended)

So yeah, Marvel wins just based on that.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Of the Big 2, DC. I love Captain Marvel, my favorite hero is and always will be Earth's Mightiest Mortal.

But IDW has the MLP comics which are AWESOME so they win if all were at play.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Out of the 2 I'd gotta go with Marvel.

With the exception of Lobo, DC has struck me as this Universe stuck in an era before the 1960's. DC has tried not look like that before. But those attempts tend to end in failure. Even at their best to try to provoke change they just end up with pre 1960's characters set in the present.

The only time I felt that way with Marvel has been with The Fantastic Four.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
What they really need is to grab all the Marvel Heros and all the DC Villains and make a universe out of that.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
I think that Marvel (in general) has better heroes, while DC (in general) has better villains. there's alot of arguments between each universe, but i'd say i'm more of a marvel fan, if only because of Planet Hulk (although DC has All-Star Superman, so... i could go on forever with myself).
Having said that, my favourite comic book hero is Blue Beetle from DC (the 'new' one, but not the new 'new' one. Jaimie Reyes, before the 52 relaunch) one of the best series i've ever read.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I've always thought that the DC universe is held back by it's origins and that this is mostly due to history. DC basically came first, and it's characters were born in the 30's to the backdrop of the great depression. Marvel came later, and it's characters were born in the 60's to the backdrop of... well the 60's. The latter is going to lead to far more interesting characters. DC can evolve their characters in interesting ways, but they're always tied down to their origins which quite simply aren't as good.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Marvel. Why, you ask? Because everything, even the goofy crap from the 1960s, is still canon. Oh sure they might've tweaked the dialogue, but regardless, if it happened in the Marvel Comics main universe, it's still in continuity.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Marvel for the awesome characters and the excellent stories. DC for the enjoyable deaths and, uh, well, ummm... yeah.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
I have an undying love for everything Batman related but as a whole Universe I pick Marvel, good continuity overall and they don't reboot their Universe every couple years :p

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Marvel, definitely. I just like the characters better. Apart from Batman and his crew, there really isn't anyone I like in the DC 'verse.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
RandV80 said:
I've always thought that the DC universe is held back by it's origins and that this is mostly due to history. DC basically came first, and it's characters were born in the 30's to the backdrop of the great depression. Marvel came later, and it's characters were born in the 60's to the backdrop of... well the 60's. The latter is going to lead to far more interesting characters. DC can evolve their characters in interesting ways, but they're always tied down to their origins which quite simply aren't as good.
I'm pretty certain Captain America was made during WW2 by Marvel. And I'm pretty certain that there were other Marvel characters made before the 1960. Though some of them were completely dropped or replaced; like the original Human Torch.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
If I were to pick a third favorite though, I'd choose Astro City. Written by Kurt Busiek and artwork by Alex Ross (my favorite comic artist, very Norman Rockwell meets comics) and Brent Anderson. It's actually from Vertigo Comics and combines a lot of the best elements from both Marvel and DC to forge it's own path. Relatable heros and godlike heroes abound. I'd have to also give Invincible's view of Image Comic's universe a strong consideration here too. I must guiltily admit to not having given the Dark Horse Universe a fair shot yet. I'd like to go Hell Boy if I go that route but I really just enjoy Dark Horse's other comics that were published by them but are not necessarily housed in their universe.

But between the big two? Better? Apples to oranges. I prefer Marvel because of the more human/relatable element but darned if Batman and Red Son and all those flawed hero storylines don't also fill that need. I'll point out that the Marvel Universe also includes our own universe as part of its multi-verse, FYI, as a point of relatability.

Honestly, I don't like to think of their Universes as stable one-off things that we can easily percieve or quantify. Every series seems to view their respective universe in a different lense. Your view of the DC universe will change greatly if you follow Batman comics but not Superman comics. If you're a fan of the Xmen but not the Fantastic 4 then the Marvel Universe can be very different.

It's fairly clear that the anti-hero has capitvated our imagination. The Watchmen and Frank Millers Dark Knight Returns were the standard bearers of the move to be able to relate to our heroes and their struggles. I think Marvel does that the best and so they're my choice. But I also think that DC is catering to the anti-hero needs more and more every day. DC has most of my absolute favorite storylines. Red Son, Kingdom Come, and multiple Batman Graphic Novels. Marvel has some, but far less than I'd like.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I could never invest myself in any sort of super hero comics. I just can't get into it, so this isn't really going to be on the subject of comics, but on cartoons.

What the hell happened to Young Justice? DC Nation completely dropped the ball on that one. As I said, I'm no comic book fan but dammit if I didn't sit down and watch young justice. That show did it right. It seemed like every time I turned that show on there were 24 different super heroes and 27 super villains on the screen. That was great! That is what comic books are, right? The bajillion super heroes? I LOVED that there were so many characters there even if they weren't doing anything, at least they were there. That is using all of your assets in my opinion.

Heck I even looked up who this guy was since I thought he was so cool looking

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Marvel. Because I don't read many comic books and DC can't get their movie licensing together.

Although... DC did do Sandman...

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
RandV80 said:
So Marvel owes it's current success to it's complete failure in the 1930's, 40's, and 50's? ;) (Not counting Captain America of course)