No Right Answer: Best Dystopian Badass Ever

mrseriousguy

Sep 24, 2011
I'll put my 2 cents in.

Max Max seems Dystopian in the first movie but society never really shifts to another form of governing body; it's still in a state of decay/no longer functioning. Post-apocalyptic; survival with little to no resources, everyman for themselves. Other great examples are Waterworld, Book of Eli, Postman.

Society shifting to a functional governing body, but is corrupt to it's core is a Dystopia. People still have homes, jobs and dont have to eat each other (on purpose). Mega-Corporations in Bladerunner, Robocop and the Alien movies are an examples of a Dystopia.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Akichi Daikashima said:
Lunar Templar said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
You guys forgot about Gordon Freeman.

Or did you deliberately leave him out?(To tick off fanboys like me)
Dr.Awkward said:
How can you forget this guy?
I think they wanted actual characters that emote, not mutes who don't.

ether way, he'd have still lost to Dread :p
Sorry, I don't think he can hear you over his crowbar in Dredd's head.

Also gravity gun.

Whenever he pulls that out, you will lose.
inadmissible

freeman doesn't actually 'do' anything. all his supposed 'badass' cred you think he has, is only there do to the players actions, not his own.

now if you wanna bring in an actual character, i'll be happy to argue that point, but freeman?

no, he's just a mute blank slate, that can't do anything with out player intervention

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Oh, Grimjack has both of them beat.

But before I tell you about him, let me tell you about the world he lives in.

Cynosure is the city where all of the parallel/alternate universes meet. Why? Because demons wanted a staging area when they went to war with... everyone else. But Grimjack helped the get the local militia going and helped them win. (he also lost the love of his life during that event... and the entire universe she came from) When the war was over, he joined the police department. Now, to give you an idea of how badass you have to be in order to be a cop in this city... the laws of physics (among other things) can literally and drastically change just by crossing the street. By the time Grimjack leaves the force, most cops use these little devices that allow them to project their own preferred laws of reality around them, but Grimjack never uses them. He just knows the city THAT well.

After he leaves the force, he starts up a bar in a slum known as The Pit. What is the Pit, you ask? It is the corpse of a universe that committed suicide. Not the people who used to live in that universe, but the universe ITSELF committed suicide. He still does a lot of work for anyone who'll pay him enough, though he has been known to do some work on his own if he's pissed off enough. Some of that work? Umm... taking out the entire special ops unit that he trained (Cadre) and *****-slapping them around the place with nothing but a pistol and a sword. Speaking of which, he's frequently going up against people that use advanced technology (lasers, missiles, giant robots, etc.), magic, vampires, demons, guns, more robots, more vampires, more demons, mages, even a few gods, and he kicks their asses with nothing but a pistol and a sword (sometimes just the sword, or whatever improvised weaponry he can find).

Speaking of improvised weaponry... there's one scene where he's in a vampire bar, and the owner is threatening him. His response? He breaks the wooden table they're sitting at, and shoves a broken leg in her face and says "You really shouldn't use wooden furniture, gives a guy like me too many weapons." (vampires are vulnerable to being impaled by sharp wooden objects in this comic series)

As for his past... well I already mentioned his part in the demon wars (think Diablo 3, but make the demons a 1000 times more nasty and sadistic... and capable)... but I haven't told you where he grew up. He grew up in the Pit. As a gladiatorial slave. (his dad sold him to get a fix... or pay off a debt, I forget which) He hated the crowd members that were calling for blood more than the people that were keeping him as a slave. So what does he do to show all of them up?

He kills his opponents efficiently, with as little showmanship as possible, as quickly as possibly, as painlessly as possible, and so that the fewest number of people in the audience can see it. The arena he was in normally only lets slaves go after they get a certain number of wins (if they want to leave, that is)... but Grimjack... they get rid of him after a while simply because... while he is the deadliest of their gladiators, he costs them A LOT of money seeing as the crowd caught on to Grimjack's attitude and a lot of people stopped turning up for his fights.

At one point, he dies and goes to heaven. Meets up with his lost loved ones, and is finally at peace for the first time in his existence. But then, his friend, Blackjack, gets in a lot of trouble (he's going to die soon and will go to hell)... so Grimjack leaves heaven, possesses a clone of him someone had been making to help the city get out of yet another crisis, and saves his friend. And now Grimjack can never go back to heaven... and can never see his dead loved ones again.

As for badass character moments...

well... Dredd might have 'I AM THE LAW'...

but Grimjack has a terrifying death's head grin.

What's terrifying about it? Well, aside from it being both a fierce grimace and an ear-to-ear smile that seems to be stretching his face back in on itself a bit... its an involuntary reaction he gets when he KNOWS that his opponent is going to die if they fight him. Reminds me, his nickname in the arena was 'The Grinner'. Said grin was another reason the arena lost money. It just... unsettled the crowd that much. (and I will remind you, this is a crowd that calls out for blood and cheers when someone's intestines are dragged around the arena for sport)

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Skeggers said:
Lovesfool said:
Mad...

... Max.

It doesn't get any more dystopian and it doesn't get any MORE badass than that.
Mad Max is post-apocalyptic, not dystopian.
Meh... Semantics.

He is badass and the first movie, the indie, B-movie from Australia that looks like it had a budget of free food and not much else, is dystopian and not post-apocalyptic.

Also, he is more badass in the first movie than the high budget, "mainsteamed" sequels.

Hastln

Apr 8, 2013
(sarcasm) Snake Pliskin should have won...
But being serious, Im happy that Joe Dredd finally is in one of these