No Right Answer: Best Mel Brooks Movie

Firefilm

New member
May 27, 2011
1,801
0
0
Best Mel Brooks Movie

You know his work, you can quote every line from all his movies. But have you ever thrown down and picked which is his best work? We got you covered.

Watch Video
 

Jeremy Dawkins

New member
Oct 17, 2011
80
0
0
My favourite is Dracula, Dead and Loving it. Leslie Nielsen was great, as well as Brooks taking a bigger role in this one than some of his other movies. The first time I saw the staking scene I kept laughing until I ran out of breath.
 

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
3,028
0
0
I think Silent Movie should get some credit for being the ballsiest production ever(a silent film in 1976?) and for Marcel Marceau having the only spoken line in the movie.
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,760
0
0
Men in Tights isn't one of the picks? I'm shocked, but actually sort of happy.

Jim Sterling meme referenced? I'm amused.

I personally liked the narrative in Young Frankenstein. I liked it as a whole, even if the one-liners were good. I also think Spaceballs holds up.

But in the end, you guys bring up my two favourites, HOTWP1 and Blazing Saddles, and I don't know that I could choose.

You guys should do a "Worst Mel Brooks Movie," though I think only a couple would get on there without you being run off the internet by someoneone.
 

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
2,338
0
0
Airplane is the only correct answer to this debate.

People who haven't even seen the movie can reference the jokes and laugh at them.
 

SilverUchiha

New member
Dec 25, 2008
1,604
0
0
I'm gonna go Space Balls. Young Frankenstein gets a close second. I have yet to see History of the World (sadly). And I didn't really care for Blazing Saddles as much as I wanted to.
 

LarsInCharge

New member
Sep 9, 2014
123
0
0
SilverUchiha said:
I'm gonna go Space Balls. Young Frankenstein gets a close second. I have yet to see History of the World (sadly). And I didn't really care for Blazing Saddles as much as I wanted to.
Another vote here for Space Balls. While some of the jokes fell flat (and lord knows we're all tired of Star Wars gimmicks), it was darn funny back then and still holds up today.
 

gridsleep

New member
Sep 27, 2008
299
0
0
The opinions of the two clowns in the video are irrelevant. Mel Brooks's best film is The Producers with Zero Mostel.
 

Gorrath

New member
Feb 22, 2013
1,648
0
0
It is a very hard pick between "Blazing Saddles" and "History of the World" for me. I can say though that "Space Balls" does not hold up for me. It has its wonderful Mel Brooks moments like combing the desert, but all in all it just does not do it for me. I think it's right to say that being a spoof of Star Wars hinders it in comparison to his other work.
 

Eabus

Poker of Badgers
Apr 15, 2009
24
0
0
gridsleep said:
The opinions of the two clowns in the video are irrelevant. Mel Brooks's best film is The Producers with Zero Mostel.
That is very true.
 

Gorrath

New member
Feb 22, 2013
1,648
0
0
gridsleep said:
The opinions of the two clowns in the video are irrelevant. Mel Brooks's best film is The Producers with Zero Mostel.
Out of curiosity, which two are the clowns? Also, I think The Producers is way too stuck in hippie jokes to have the same impact now as it did then. Frankly, I find the new Producers to be much funnier. Blaspheme I know.
 

Firefilm

New member
May 27, 2011
1,801
0
0
I'm sorry I love History of The World but, Hitler on Ice has nothing on Mel's first introduction of Hitler



I think I agree with Blazing Saddles being the most topical and the ending is just 4th wall breaking awesome but, I still think History of The World has the most and best laughs and as it's world history the jokes aren't stepped in pop culture as much so it's still timeless.

Some of his lesser known or referenced movies are good too, like High Anxiety. Not super but, great tribute to Alfred Hitchcook and it has it's moments. AKA. Harvey Korman for the win.
 

Elijah Newton

New member
Sep 17, 2008
456
0
0
Eabus said:
gridsleep said:
The opinions of the two clowns in the video are irrelevant. Mel Brooks's best film is The Producers with Zero Mostel.
That is very true.

Yup. Couldn't stand the remake - not that I have anything against Broderick or Lane, it just seemed like they were trying to do impressions of the vastly superior Wilder and Mostel duo.
 

hermes

New member
Mar 2, 2009
3,865
0
0
Gorrath said:
gridsleep said:
The opinions of the two clowns in the video are irrelevant. Mel Brooks's best film is The Producers with Zero Mostel.
Out of curiosity, which two are the clowns? Also, I think The Producers is way too stuck in hippie jokes to have the same impact now as it did then. Frankly, I find the new Producers to be much funnier. Blaspheme I know.
Agreed. I feel the additions they made on the new one, like the extended participation of the characters of Gary Beach and Will Ferrell elevates the movie above the original. Of course, one can't deny the original had a lot more impact because, at the time, making humor out of WW2, Nazism and Hitler was truly outlandish.

On the other hand, my favorites are Men in Thighs and Silent Movie... Silent Movie is slapstick comedy gold in its purest form.
 

Gorrath

New member
Feb 22, 2013
1,648
0
0
hermes200 said:
Gorrath said:
gridsleep said:
The opinions of the two clowns in the video are irrelevant. Mel Brooks's best film is The Producers with Zero Mostel.
Out of curiosity, which two are the clowns? Also, I think The Producers is way too stuck in hippie jokes to have the same impact now as it did then. Frankly, I find the new Producers to be much funnier. Blaspheme I know.
Agreed. I feel the additions they made on the new one, like the extended participation of the characters of Gary Beach and Will Ferrell elevates the movie above the original. Of course, one can't deny the original had a lot more impact because, at the time, making humor out of WW2, Nazism and Hitler was truly outlandish.

On the other hand, my favorites are Men in Thighs and Silent Movie... Silent Movie is slapstick comedy gold in its purest form.
Exactly! Will Ferrel isn't someone I normally gush about, but I thought he was fantastic in that role. Well, everyone was really. Plus, exchanging hippie jokes for gay jokes makes it a lot more universal and not stuck in the time period in which it was made. The whole casting scene was comedy gold as was the scene at the director's mansion. The gay jokes were well done, coming off as silly stereotypes instead of being mean spirited ones.
 

hermes

New member
Mar 2, 2009
3,865
0
0
Zachary Amaranth said:
You guys should do a "Worst Mel Brooks Movie," though I think only a couple would get on there without you being run off the internet by someoneone.
That one is easy:
 

Trishbot

New member
May 10, 2011
1,318
0
0
Jeremy Dawkins said:
My favourite is Dracula, Dead and Loving it. Leslie Nielsen was great, as well as Brooks taking a bigger role in this one than some of his other movies. The first time I saw the staking scene I kept laughing until I ran out of breath.
Not many people's first choice...

... But I entirely agree.

Now, let's enjoy and relive that staking scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWzzX4lLPnU

"She's ITALIAN?!"
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Airplane is the only correct answer to this debate.

People who haven't even seen the movie can reference the jokes and laugh at them.
Airplane is not one Mel Brooks' movies.

Newhouse said:
I'm sorry I love History of The World but, Hitler on Ice has nothing on Mel's first introduction of Hitler



I think I agree with Blazing Saddles being the most topical and the ending is just 4th wall breaking awesome but, I still think History of The World has the most and best laughs and as it's world history the jokes aren't stepped in pop culture as much so it's still timeless.

Some of his lesser known or referenced movies are good too, like High Anxiety. Not super but, great tribute to Alfred Hitchcook and it has it's moments. AKA. Harvey Korman for the win.
Gotta love both versions of The Producers. Now that song will be stuck in my head all day. Thanks!