No Right Answer: Best Non-Marvel/DC Comic Property

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Non-Marvel/DC Comic Property

Just like in American politics, sometimes the Marvel and DC comics domination gets boring. Which comic book property is a breath of fresh air in the industry?

Watch Video

MikePeck

Nov 20, 2009
Skullkickers. Hands down. Only Just started on there fourth storyline and it's still better than 90% of what's out there.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
I think it kind of inevitably needs to be pointed out that Fables is published by Vertigo which is an imprint of DC Comics and therefore should possibly be disqualified. Then again, we shouldn't turn our backs on innovation and quality no matter where they originate from. It certainly doesn't feel like a mainstream super hero comic.

Also, side note, Marvel is rumored to be developing their own comic based on the TV show Once Upon A Time (which was arguably based on Fables.)

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Become a Hellman Kyle? I think you mean a Pearlman.

And Before I get into the Walking Dead Comic, can someone tell me if it had the same characters from the TV show or if it's set up like the Videogame with a completely different cast?
Most of the same characters, but with different personalities. It's still pretty damn good.

OT: Well...yeah. Damn you, DVS BSTrD; I was hoping to get the first Walking Dead suggestion in. Besides, they are made by image, and MovieBob did a whole thing on them, so...yeah.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I meant "published by image comics". They're made by Robert Kirkman.

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
It will be said eventually, so I might as well do it: Fables is published by Vertigo, which is owned by DC. Personally, if Vertigo comics are acceptable I would have gone with Sandman or Lucifer, but those are on such another level that it would be hard to debate against them. Heck, you could even have gone with Hellblazer...

On the topic of Hellboy, note that the spin-off series, BPRD, is also quite good.

And for anyone here looking for further non-Marvel/DC comics recommendations, off the top of my head Bone is quite good.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Occult Mayhem? Nazi punching? Lovecraftian horrors? SCIENCE?

Atomic Robo. [http://www.atomic-robo.com/free-comics/fcbd09/]

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Bone. Amazing story with extremely interesting characters. It combines the high fantasy that everyone loves with the fun of a childrens story. If done right it could be on par with Shrek as a property that appeals to both adults and children and as such could easily become a merchandising empire. It would deliver a beautifully told fantasy story in a rich and very well developed world that we could share with our children for generations to come... that sells tickets my friend.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
You guys have a seemingly endless supply of awesome T-shirts.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
minimacker said:
Isn't Vertigo owned by DC?
Yes, but the copyrights to all the titles on it are owned by their creators.

Anyway, the answer to the original question is Transmetropolitan (also Vertigo).

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Someone with the guts to try something different, eh? That leaves out Archie then...they're too busy making serialized ads for Sega's core franchise and a game series Capcom no longer cares about.

I'm glad Hellboy won. Any comic series that has a character that Ron Perlman can make even more awesome on the big screen is a winner in my book.