No Right Answer: Best Robin Ever

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I vote for Damien Wayne, I hated his guts at first, and thought he was an absurdity in the Batman universe, a truly unbearable character... But then came the New 52 and I began to see Damien in another perspective. Not only I believe he is the best Robin, he is also the ONLY Robin I ever enjoyed. Funny thing is, I like Nightwing and Red Hood, I just hate them as Robin's. Red Robin is also pretty cool though, but cool doesn't cut it for me.
On a side note: I recently bought Death in the Family, which I hadn't read yet. I don't know what the hype is all about there, it was probably one the worst sagas I've ever read, the whole thing with Todd looking for his mother was laughable, and his murder lacked any emotion. Not to mention The Joker being an ambassador (???) that was downright offensive to any reader...

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
Kazam24a said:
Three Batmans, Bruce Wayne, Jean Paul Valley and Dick Grayson
Terry McGinnis doesn't count?

We could dig up a few lists, I'm sure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_versions_of_Batman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Incorporated

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
Tim wins. Sure Dick had the confidence to wear speedos in public, but Tim wears pants in the Robin relationship.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Lieju said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Stephanie Brown is Batgirl, end of story.
If Batman has a female sidekick, she's the Batgirl (or Oracle)
Why, though? There has been several Robins, and it's not like it's all that masculine name or role.
Yeah, don't see why you need it to be a Batgirl. Mind you, I would like to see a male Batgirl. Not as a permanent thing, but as a temporary replacement, someone who thinks the Batgirl idea is more important than gender.

Personally, Stephanie Brown, to me, isn't Batman's sidekick, she's Cassandra Cain's sidekick. But then, I find the Bat-family works best when Batman isn't around, they all gripe about how grumpy he is rather than have to talk to him.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Lieju said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Why, though? There has been several Robins, and it's not like it's all that masculine name or role.
Yeah, don't see why you need it to be a Batgirl. Mind you, I would like to see a male Batgirl. Not as a permanent thing, but as a temporary replacement, someone who thinks the Batgirl idea is more important than gender.
What's the 'idea' of a Batgirl, though? When it comes to Robin, he performs the very important role of the Batman's sidekick, someone who is there to keep him from going too dark. If anything, the 'idea' behind batgirl is 'girl-version of Batman'

But when it comes to female characters like Wonder Woman, that could work. Let's say Wonder woman dies/disappears/has to take over Santa's workshop, it would be possible for a male character to step in to take her place (temporarily, mind) as a warrior and an ambassador between the Amazons and the rest of the world, and as someone who fights for equality.

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
Lieju said:
thaluikhain said:
Lieju said:
DVS BSTrD said:
What's the 'idea' of a Batgirl, though? When it comes to Robin, he performs the very important role of the Batman's sidekick, someone who is there to keep him from going too dark. If anything, the 'idea' behind batgirl is 'girl-version of Batman'

But when it comes to female characters like Wonder Woman, that could work. Let's say Wonder woman dies/disappears/has to take over Santa's workshop, it would be possible for a male character to step in to take her place (temporarily, mind) as a warrior and an ambassador between the Amazons and the rest of the world, and as someone who fights for equality.
Batgirl doesn't seem to even be a girl version of Batman, most Batgirls are too teeny-girlish. I think the idea is to have a character that girls can relate to in the Batman comics. So why would you have a boy that girls can relate to? Batboy?

As far as a female Wonder Woman, that might work as a one-off, if you stretch it. Wonder Woman was about women being equal to men, so a man could not possibly take that role. Amazon's are all female, and notoriously anti-male. A Male ambassador wouldn't really work, and a male "Wonder Man" wouldn't fit with the backstory. It would be very controversial.

Hmmm,... A controversial challenge to the status quo, with "Wonder Man". I wouldn't read it, but it sounds like a solid read in theory. How do you create a "Wonder Man" costume that isn't dorky? Think of Aqua Man here,...

vs

A change in tactics to lure readers. Rather than sell "Bella Swan" as Batgirl, sell "Edward Cullen" as Batboy. Hmmm,... An interesting idea.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Monster_user said:
Batgirl doesn't seem to even be a girl version of Batman, most Batgirls are too teeny-girlish. I think the idea is to have a character that girls can relate to in the Batman comics. So why would you have a boy that girls can relate to? Batboy?
I think originally Batgirl was introduced as a love-interest for Robin, to combat allegations of homosexuality. But that part of Batgirl's character has been left behind, as far as I know.

Monster_user said:
As far as a female Wonder Woman, that might work as a one-off, if you stretch it. Wonder Woman was about women being equal to men, so a man could not possibly take that role.

Amazon's are all female, and notoriously anti-male. A Male ambassador wouldn't really work, and a male "Wonder Man" wouldn't fit with the backstory. It would be very controversial.
The reason it would be controversial is because there are so few female characters who aren't sidekick in comics, so losing one who has so much history behind her and is so iconic, would be bad.
But as a limited time-kind of thing? It could be interesting, help the amazons and the outside-world understand each other, and strive for equality. Men can stand for equal rights too.

However, you probably shouldn't get rid of Wonder woman as a character. You could run two storylines at once; Wonder woman being trapped in some other dimension, or on a mission, and meanwhile her replacement doing his stuff on Earth.

Monster_user said:
Hmmm,... A controversial challenge to the status quo, with "Wonder Man". I wouldn't read it, but it sounds like a solid read in theory. How do you create a "Wonder Man" costume that isn't dorky? Think of Aqua Man here,...
You know, there is an official genderbent version of WonderWoman, one of the alternative realities in DC universe had (or has?) genders reversed. He was very hairy.

Personally, I prefer WonderWoman wearing a short skirt, not panties. I'm talking about the kind that Xena wears, I don't know what it's called, but generally, Wonerwoman should dress like Xena.

And a male version could very well wear the same kind of outfit.