No Right Answer: Best Silent Protagonist Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Silent Protagonist Ever

It's been said that less is more, and nothing proves that point more than a good silent protagonist.

Watch Video

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Of the two, Gordon. He has no "well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess" hanging over his head.

Overall? Chell. Always Chell.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Gordan "The Free Man". He literally saved someone's life. There's a song about it and everything.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I think this episode's pre-title card intro is one of my favorites.

I think the best argument against Gordon Freeman that Kyle made was that there is some level of useful knowledge he would be able to share if he could talk that would benefit everyone. Though I don't think "what would Link even say" is exactly a point is his favor either.

Though the real answer is obviously Crono.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Very good episode. Because you guys had fun, I had fun watching you.

Also; yay, Link won!

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I also have to say Link. Why? Because Gordon doesn't develop, as a character. On the other hand, Link has to grow into an adult througout Majora's Mask.

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Am I the only one who was slightly disappointed that they didn't try to mime the whole thing with subtitles?
KoDOmega said:
Of the two, Gordon. He has no "well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess" hanging over his head.

Overall? Chell. Always Chell.
And she's easily the hotest one :p

Edit:HEY NAVI! GOT ANYMORE BRILLIANT OBSERVATIONS FOR ME!?!

It's from the 90's cartoon.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Kyle convinced me. Gordon's world is to real and his character is to real. Something should have happened to him and he should have been able to talk to all the scientists around him. It's not bad, it's just a little weird. And if you think too hard about it, it makes him seem ridiculously unproactive, mutely blindly stumbling the paths that others left whilst they all yell praise at him and he stands there confused with his blood splattered face unable to communicate to the world the helplessness of his position.

Link is some young kid in a nintendo game.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
If we can still call Link a silent protagonist after Zelda 2 and the cartoon, surely we can forgive Samus from Other M.

So, I'd say Samus is better that Freeman and Link.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
All I can say is that Corvo of Dishonoured should NOT have been a silent protagonist.

He was the freaking Lord Protector, bodyguard to the empress - possibly her baby daddy - and apparently more of a secret agent than the freaking spymaster (that's right, the best agent of the crown AND assassin of the crown is NOT employed by the SPYMASTER). This guy was -somebody- freaking important before the Outsider showed an interest, not nobody like Gordon Freeman.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Of the two? Link, easily. Gordon is the worst sort of silent protagonist. Silent Protagonists exist to allow the player to essentially become the character and embue them with their own characteristics. It's basically you assuming that role. With Gordon, however, he already has a predefined role, a predefined personality, predefined relationships with the rest of the cast, and even a very calculated predefined appearance that stares back at you from the front of the game box. Making him silent just basically makes him mute, not a proper silent protagonist.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm going to have to go with Alcatraz from Crysis 2. It's heavily implied that the reason he doesn't speak is that he CAN'T

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
i can't stand silent protagonist's anyway. both Gordan and Link suck as characters because they aren't characters. they have as much personality as a rock.

i'm okay with playing as a character and feeling like them but in that case, i really do think it's best to allow you to name the character or not bother with the name at all and have the supporting cast not really speak a name when talking towards you. this was done in Final Fantasy X quite well. To be honest it's not all that unnatural either, i rarely speak anyone's name when talking to them, nor do most people speak my name.

if a game has a silent protagonists it would make more sense to give the player some customization if they are to fill in the blanks of this silent character. Otherwise all characters should have dialogue and personality. that just makes sense when your trying to write a good story right?

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
Link, Chell, Gordon Freeman, The Lone Wanderer, The Courier ... silent protagonists star in almost all of my favorite games!

And the de-fanged head-crab was named Lamarr. As in: HEDY LAMARR. It's a science joke. (Look it up!)

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Gordon Freeman as a good silent Protaganist is undermined by the first person perspective, because you can not see the character emote the way you see link do in various games

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
the7ofswords said:
Link, Chell, Gordon Freeman, The Lone Wanderer, The Courier ... silent protagonists star in almost all of my favorite games!

And the de-fanged head-crab was named Lamarr. As in: HEDY LAMARR. It's a science joke. (Look it up!)
Insert Blazing Saddles reference?

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Clearly the greatest silent protagonist is the neon-green haired gunman of the capital wastes: Killmonkey.

Also, Dark Cloud guy.

Thats right, he has a poncho.