No Right Answer: Best Standup Comedian Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Standup Comedian Ever

Two guys walk into a debate. The first guy asks, "Who's the best standup comedian ever?" to which the second guy says something about a goat. Ok, so I'm clearly not the best standup comedian, but who is?

Watch Video

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Cosby Vs Carlin? Pfft. Richard Pryor!

Or Rodney Dangerfield. Both awesome as hell.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I don't like Carlin or Cosby but then I am not american so it is possible that I did not get half the jokes when I have watched both of them in the past.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I knew Carlin would be one of them because he's the obvious choice and gets my vote. But Cosby? Sure he's funny and unique, but he doesn't epitomize stand up comedy like Carlin or so many others. I haven't seen enough of Richard Pryor's stuff, but I've always heard people speak of him as the greatest.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Shit Piss Fuck **** CockSucker ************ and Tits. For those that don't know Carlin's 7 dirty words.

I'd also like to add in Jim Gaffigan, Lewis Black, Gabriel Iglesias.

Edit: If he were to be a stand-up comedian Dave Brockie would totally beat everyone.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
No, I disagree. There are many fantastic stand-up comedians, like Eddie Izzard, Dave Chappelle and Eddie Murphy. But there is only one man at the top, and that man is Christopher Titus.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
Between these two? Carlin without a shred of doubt.

If I were to nominate someone? Eddie Izzard. While he hasn't been AS funny recently, I can watch his older shows repeatedly and still find them funny.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I don't know if this is possible to agree with this, simply because comedy is an opinion.

I swear half you wouldn't know who it was if it didn't say who it was.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
I would contend that Steve Martin is the greatest comedian of all time. He revolutionized the industry for later generations. When other comedians were talking about the world and making observations, Steve was up there pickin on his banjo singing songs about his grandmother. The guy just got up onto that stage and acted a fool. And that is what was so brilliant about his routine. He just acted silly all of the time. And he was incredibly talented in other areas as well. He is a talented musician, writer, actor, comedian, and all around great guy. Carlin can't even touch Steve Martin when it comes to being a Renaissance Man. Not only does his (early) filmography speak for itself, but he was also one of the major pioneers of SNL back in its glory days. He has mellowed out recently, mainly spending his time playing in blue grass bands, but it wasn't so long ago that everything he touched turned to comedic gold.

Honorable mentions would go to Eddie Izzard and Louis C.K.

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
I love so many standup comedians, but I gotta go with Carlin personally. I know that stand up comics themselves love Richard Pryor. That may be because the man pretty much invented racial comedy. But more importantly he became an icon for the time. Carlin also became a counter-culture icon. Either way, both are hilarious.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
There is no answer to this question. It's one of those things where everyone has their own completely different opinions and everyone treats their own as if it's irrefutable fact. But it's one of the most subjective things out there, along with music.

I like George Carlin but not that much. From what I've seen his material doesn't seem to be that varied. That might just be because the range on Youtube is a bad representation of his work but I'm not really convinced he's as good as people say he is. I've seen almost nothing of Bill Cosby and what I have seen tends to be making fun of how crap he is, so I don't see how he can be considered best comedian ever.

I can't really think of my own choices. I don't really like stand up comedy that much. I prefer other types. I guess Russell Howard is pretty good, but his stuff tends to be making fun of things instead of actually making up his own jokes. I used to like Michael McIntyre, but I kind of got bored of him. I don't get all the hate he gets either. There's far more annoying comics out there who people love. But I haven't watched either of them in ages, and they rank pretty low on comedians I actually like. I suppose Jimmy Carr ranks higher for me.

If we're not restricting just to stand ups then I guess I would go for people like the Pythons, Stephen Fry, David Mitchell, Rowan Atkinson or Vic Reeves. Noel Fielding is pretty hilarious but I haven't seen much of his stuff. I've not seen more than 10 minutes of The Mighty Boosh and I've never seen Luxury Comedy either. Never Mind The Buzzcocks is where I know him from. Him and Simon Amstell on that show were amazing.

And while I'm at it I might as well say something that will piss of a lot of people and prove my first point. I hate Ricky Gervais. He's an unfunny dick whose "comedy" consists of nothing but awkward pauses. His popularity is completely undeserved. Also Russell Brand. Fuck that arrogant prick.

Monty McDougal

Mar 15, 2011
SnootyEnglishman said:
I'd also like to add in Jim Gaffigan, Lewis Black, Gabriel Iglesias.
great choices man. Jim Gaffigan is my personal favourite but I would say that Carlin is the best ever.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
srodney said:
What about Bill Hicks?
So much this. It's sad that he doesn't get much credit. He said the things Carlin talked about anywhere between 5-20 before him; incredibly ahead of his time. In truth, Hicks was more stand-up philosophy than stand-up comedy. I aspire to be like Hicks, though, Carlin was nothing short of great in his own right.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Carlin hands down.....followed by Bill Hicks

also Shit Piss Fuck **** Cocksucker ************ Tits