No Right Answer: Best Standup Comedian Ever

Count_A'ight

Dec 29, 2010
Azurian said:
No love for late and great Patrice O'Neal?
PIT BULL WOOF!!! Elephant in the room is available on youtube. It is awesome.

However my favorite comics goes
1. Bill Hicks
2. George Carlin
3. Louie CK
4. Patton Oswalt
5. Patrice O'Neal

Too many dead funny guys

qwagor

Mar 18, 2009
For me, Eddie Izzard is the absolute master of stand-up. Closely followed by Louis C.K., although my current favourite comic routine is Dara O Briain's video games bit...
http://youtu.be/yKIiUsbOO24

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
George Carlin is the best, hands down. 'And the head rolls down this little hill and into one of five numbered holes.'

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Can't say I know any other stand up comedian who steals an ice cream from a kid and then flies away, so I'm gonna go with Louis CK.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Firefilm said:
"...you can't say on radio or television... or on the Escapist"
I've always wondered about this, especially with Bob beeping out his cursing. Does the Escapist have a rule that its content can't use harsh language? Is Yahtzee an exception just because that's his "thing"?

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Between Carlin and Cosby, I'd go with Cosby. Carlin was great for his time, but personally I find his comedy pretty bland now. Cosby will be timeless forever. In 100 years, do you think people will remember the 10 commandments bit? Or chocolate pudding?

Outside of the two, I'd say Louis CK.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I'm going with Carlin, dude's funny as hell and always manages to make a good point somewhere in his stand ups.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
There's never any talk of Don Rickles though. For god's sake, the man still performs sold out shows in Vegas even though he's 86. He's the only white guy that could say to Muhammad Ali, "Ali, we'd ask you to talk, but you know the blacks, your lips lock" and still get laughs. AND he is probably the only person that Johnny Carson had no problem letting him walk on set. This is the guy Johnny freakin' Carson called when he needed someone to fill in.

Don Rickles is easily the wittiest person I've seen, if only because he proved that racism is ok as long as it's hilarious. (Although I don't think he's racist himself, as he says, "Black, white, brown, purple, it doesn't matter to me. I make fun of them all.")

"And you Christians, you have that wonderful sign. That sign of the cross. And to us Jews, that sign means the interstate is blocked, take the next exit."
"I kid. I kid. We need the Chinese. Cause otherwise us Jews would have no place to eat on Christmas."

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Cosby Vs Carlin, a bit like comparing the Bee Gees and Led Zeppelin isn't it?

I mean, both great in their own rights but completely different genres.

People need to recognize the genres within Standup, also people need to go watch some Stewart Lee, dude completely destroys standup and is technically the 41st best standup in the world.

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
I love Carlin, but I think I'd have to go with Cosby. His standup was funny, his shows were funny, and I recently picked up one of his books and, spoiler warning, it was funny. Carlin was very much an adult comedian and liked to push the envelope. Cosby managed to keep it tame, allowing adults and their children to love his work. Ultimately he managed to make more diverse groups of people laugh and that makes him a better comedian.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Monty McDougal said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
I'd also like to add in Jim Gaffigan, Lewis Black, Gabriel Iglesias.
great choices man. Jim Gaffigan is my personal favourite but I would say that Carlin is the best ever.
But of course. I was just adding in my two cents..

DarkKnight21

Feb 16, 2010
You seem to forget people, the best comedian of all time has to be without a single strand of a doubt, Richard Pryor!!!

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
Since he just asked about the best comidian in the last sentence, I am just gonna ignore the stand-up part and show you the best comedian of all time. Hope you guys don't mind german, but there are subtitles.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
maybe it's just the prejudice puritan in me, but i know that the best comedian has to be British.

that being said, donald glover is pretty damn funny