No Right Answer: Best Western Film Ever

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Blazing Saddles, hands down. But if you must go the serious route, I guess I'd say Tombstone.

At least this new series is actually good, unlike that Drinking Games thing. Combined with Extra Credits, the Escapist is batting .667 on Thursdays....still pretty respectable.

mountie218

Jul 13, 2010
Here are my top 5:

1) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2) Once Upon a Time in the West
3) The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
4) The Searchers
5) Unforgiven

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
WOAH!! Hold on now what's wrong with Mr. Tarantino!?

Also, his next film is going to be a westernish film and i bet it shall be good.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
First dont settle debates with a soda chug. Its immature and juvenile, and it adds no validity to any arguement. If you have to have product placement, have the bottles out displayed the whole show and before you start introduce the flavor and blah blah blah.

Second...Are you stoned? Fivel goes west? Back to the future3? These are not true westerns.

Here are true westerns:

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

A few dollars more (A western remake of the classic Yojimbo, story was remade again in Last Man Standing)

Unforgiven

3:10 to Yuma (remake and original, liked remake better)

True Grit (both again, liked both equally)

and one of my personal favorite westerns McClintock

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Mmm... I'm gonna have to disagree with the verdict, and not just because of the dirty tactics forcing the spit-take.

But anyway, I actually think the cut-away-to-visual-gags pictures have some great moments in this series.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
The Wild Wild West, bhua hahahaha, only kidding.

Has to be a Fisful Of Dollars.
That, and the
"Aim for the heart, it's the only way to stop me"
Cement it as untouchable in my mind.
I should mention that Fistful of Dollars is actually originally a Japanese Samurai film, though it was a good movie, I don't think I could consider it as the best western knowing that.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Primus1985 said:
A few dollars more (A western remake of the classic Yojimbo, story was remade again in Last Man Standing)
Pretty sure it was Sanjuro, Fistful of Dollars was Yojimbo.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Here are the top 5, not my top five, THE top five.

1. Kurt Russell's mustache in Tombstone
2. Tombstone
3. Silverado
4. Unforgiven
5. "Ah'm yah huckleberry."

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Yeah I'm, going to stop watching this series. They're just adverts for Jones Soda.

Shame, because it's fairly amusing at times.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
But there IS a right answer: The Searchers. I'm not a John Wayne fan of any sort, but I cannot deny the greatness of that film. It is the most grand western ever. It feels like you're living the 10+ years with the protagonists (in a good way).
Some runners up include:
Yojimbo, Dead Man, Tombstone, and if you're a Eastwood fan and you haven't seen The Outlaw Josey Wales yet, you must!

cymonsgames

Dec 17, 2010
Are they trying to set the bar as low as they can so we can have something to discuss? I know this is called "No Right Answer", but they're proving they have bad answers.

You can not have a best western movie that is either animated or sci-fi.

The Wild Wild West, bhua hahahaha, only kidding.

That, and the
"Aim for the heart, it's the only way to stop me"
Cement it as untouchable in my mind.
Much, much better than either one of those.

What about "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"?

And Tarantino? What is with that guy? Every movie is "great... for a Tarantino." That's like saying "That's a good painting... for a paraplegic." Don't candy coat it. The guy can't be judged against the big kids or we'll see how his stuff doesn't stand up.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

It's VERY VERY common answer but damn its just so cool and Tuco is one of the best characters of all time, such a nasty piece of work and brilliantly played by Eli Wallach.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
"Are they trying to set the bar as low as they can so we can have something to discuss? I know this is called "No Right Answer", but they're proving they have bad answers."

The point is that they have to debate with really bad options. Clearly neither of these are proper westerns. It's a joke. You laugh at it.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
"3:10 to Yuma" for sure. The remake that is. Great film, and I loved every minute of it.

On a side note, LAAAZY EYE! Laughed my ass off at that! Classic!

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
Primus1985 said:
Pretty sure it was Sanjuro, Fistful of Dollars was Yojimbo.
Sorry my bad, get those mixed up .

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Seven Samurai was the best western clearly. In fact, all of Kurosawa's films were the best westerns. Or at least were made into the better ones.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
I should mention that Fistful of Dollars is actually originally a Japanese Samurai film, though it was a good movie, I don't think I could consider it as the best western knowing that.
It was, but that Samurai film was inspired by the style of John Ford's westerns, so the plaigerism I mean inspiration comes full circle.