No Right Answer: Best Zombie Movie Ever

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Despite me liking both movies, I have to pick Zombieland. SotD is a good film but I didn't like the characters as much as Zombieland.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
With apologies to George Romero, I honestly believe that given just how overdone zombies are in pop culture, they can't really be taken all that seriously anymore, particularly as some kind of metaphor. From now on, I think that zombies should strictly stick to horror-comedy, mostly because the romanticism of the fantasy of a zombie apocalypse has really gotten to a point where people think they can find genuine glee in killing zombies. Also, most of pop culture has decided to take the piss out of zombies pretty much anytime they show up in a movie, tv show, etc. as was shocased in both SOTD and Zombieland.

As for what movie I prefer, I would have to go with Shaun of the Dead, not only because I love Edgar Wright, but because I feel like it's a very effective at being an insightful parody of zombie movies, mixed effectively with genuine heart (the scene where Shaun "says goodbye" to his mom is pretty fantastic) and moments of levity and comedy. As for Zombieland, it's major draw is taking the usual array of zombie survival cliches, particularly from the Max Brooks book as was pointed out, and playing them up for laughs. However, even though everyone already knew the jokes, the movie somehow makes them work and feel new again.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
tautologico said:
deathzero021 said:
wow do i hate this, i couldn't even stand 1 minute or watching this. once i heard they were only going to talk about Zombieland vs. Shaun of the Dead, i was pretty annoyed. So they're gonna talk about 2 parodies instead of actual zombie horror? Once again, these guys fail to give any interesting arguments at all. they seem completely unaware of the history of zombie movies, as they seem unaware of most things. (i'm surprised they're still here)

Dawn of the Dead is probably the best zombie movie ever. (no not the damn remake, though it was an OK remake) with Day of the Dead being a close 2nd. Those two movies not only created all the zombie norms we see today but they did it far better than any rip-off/parody could ever hope. The movie itself is actually good, with good characters and drama between them. Believable acting and decisions. There is simply no comparison at all. (and distant 3rd best would be 28 Days Later)

Now if they had put "best zombie parody ever" than this video maybe appropriate. i saw both of those movies, i would prefer Shaun of the Dead myself.
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the show, but I disagree. They have to rely on most viewers knowin what they're talking about. The video is a discussion and they don't have time to present both "things" in the debate first so they can start. And for all thepopularity of zombies right now, very few people know the history and the classics of the genre. But they can count that most people have seen at least one of the two movies they discussed because they are recent.

Plus, they're more similar to each other than different, as you said (both are "zombie parodies" in a way), it would be stranger to compare Shaun with 28 Days Later, for example.

First off, thanks for standing up for us, always good to see that some people get what were doing. Second, i can assure you we all know the full history of zombies, from their voodoo origins through modern day returns. This show is for fun, and sometimes we have to pick zombie films that even people that don't like zombies might have seen, to increase appeal. I hope you understand, we didn't mean to ruin you day. :)

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
"Kyle, what is the best zombie movie ever?"

Me: Zombieland. Hmmmm... vs. Shaun of the Dead.

*title screen*

SUCCESS!

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Everyone fails, the correct for best zombie movie answer is [link=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/]

Død snø (Dead Snow)[/link]

it isn't a zombie apocalypse movie it uses lots of zombie tropes

Dead Snow is scary, funny, smart, and well crafted. If you haven't seen it yet watch it and it will make your top 10 list if not bump off your current number 1.

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
"You've got red on you"

Now trying to remember an epic quote from ZombieLand....

Still not coming.

Still nothing.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
Shaun of the Dead is my personal pick but it is a pretty even match...

But Vampires? Cos if you're gonna debate vampire movies...

Near Dark vs Lost Boys...

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Zombieland was too bland in my opinion. The zombies were a focus point to the story, yet 80% of the film is more or less the main cast talking to each-other and wandering around this now Zombie infested world. Until the VERY end of the movie, you get like maybe 3-4 good scenes with any actual zombies.

Shaun of the Dead however used Zombies as the MAIN plot device, yet still had all that 'real world' type side-stories still occurring as they stated in this episode. So even though you could be spending an entire scene where they were sitting around in a pub and chatting about life problems, there were still zombies and ect. in the background and all around them.

Overall Shaun of the Dead focuses more on "YES, it's a zombie apocalypse, and YES these characters need to be interesting and funny. BUT! This is a zombie movie, and the zombies are a constant factor that are affecting the characters and how they survive". Meanwhile Zombieland kinda turned out as more of a "Zombies only need to appear as a convenient plot device to add humor and action into the film. Instead we will focus on the characters talking and interacting".

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Liked the debate this time, and I kinda think the better zombie movie won (though Sean of the Dead on its own is probably the funnier movie).

That being said, Zombieland is obviously about a group of people who were going to be outsiders whether there was a zombie apocalypse or not. The zombies are simply the undead version of the people who tormented them anyway. The agora of Columbus' agoraphobia, if you will. And fighting those zombies is Jesse Eisenberg's character's way of getting over his fear of people by realizing that most people just aren't important in any way.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Everyone fails, the correct for best zombie movie answer is [link=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/]

Død snø (Dead Snow)[/link]

it isn't a zombie apocalypse movie it uses lots of zombie tropes

Dead Snow is scary, funny, smart, and well crafted. If you haven't seen it yet watch it and it will make your top 10 list if not bump off your current number 1.[/QUOTE]You'd be happy to know that I actually have both seen Dead Snow and loved Dead Snow. Were this expanded a bit, I'd have put it in the running, easily. I think it's still on Netflix Instant Play though, so I'll give it a good recommendation come Monday's article.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I do agreed with Zombieland being the better movie (in my view). Sure Shawn of the Dead is good but they were somewhat limited with the gears they had but in Zombieland they had cars and gun meaning more fun when it came to fight zombies.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Shaun of the Dead. Absolutely.

It's not like Zombieland is a bad movie, but I just really didn't care about the characters that much, it felt like the emotional impact was missing. Also I don't care about Murray.

Shaun of the dead, though, is a great movie. It's funny, and works as a zombie-movie, and the characters were relatable.
These kinds of things are always subjective, of course, especially comedy, and if the other just is funnier to you, then it is.

I've never particularly cared about the zombie-apocalypse-thing, though.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Kinda upset that didn't review the classics, but I suppose it's true that it wouldn't have been as funny. Also, rather than debating zombie movies, I think that whole zombies vs. vampires
thing at the end would have made for a really good argument.

Still, this was a good topic. I kinda feel the movies are pretty much on par with one another, but if pressed, I'd give my vote to SotD, just 'cause.

CAPTCHA: which one is hardest? Well, I don't think you get much harder than Woody...

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I personally did prefer Zombieland over Shaun of the Dead mainly due to THAT Woody Allen scene... GAWDAMN! That was an awesome scene, his puppy dog scene was pretty nice to even if SotD did beat him out abit with the whole mum thing... man, talk about depressing.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Shaun of the Dead was hilarious and brilliant.

Zombieland bored me...

Timaithis

Apr 15, 2008
Shaun of the Dead is the better of the two they chose. However best zombie movie is Firefly. Zombies are stupid as a concept and as a villain they have nothing going for them that separates them from other really good scary villains. The only thing going for them is there mindless never ending shambling to destroy the protagonists and other villains can have that as well they are called redshirts/stormtoopers/fodder. And Firefly gets this so they aren't the focus of the story they are left as a sort of boogy man no one(besides the audience and main characters) really believes in and they are only really present in the beginning and end the rest is all character development and actual movie.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
You guys are so wrong it's unbelievable.
Shaun wins because... and I've finished that sentence about 20 different times already with valid reasons why it's better and subsequently deleted them because no single reason would be enough to describe how monumentally epic it is.

Sheds, Pubs, Cricket bats, cups of tea, old vinyl, motherfucking CORNETTOS.

A Cornetto beats Twinkie any day.

And The Emma Stone defense is a cheap shot and you know it.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Dawn of the Dead. I cannot believe you actually picked Zombieland over it. ZLand is horribly overrated as it is.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Honestly, Shaun of the Dead is a movie that I still watch, all the time. If Comedy Central has it on right now, I'll get up and go watch it, regardless of me finishing this post.

Zombieland is a movie you only need to see once, maybe twice, and that's it. America or not, It's an infinitely devoid motion picture. The first fifteen minutes of Zombieland almost made me shut the movie off (I love Jesse Eisenberg, but he's never allowed to narrate the word "Zombie" ever again. Ever. It's obnoxious). After the first fifteen minutes, the movie is watchable, but not great.

I love the cast, but Emma Stone's on autopilot for most of the movie, as is Eisenberg, so you have two great actors (Harrelson and Abigail Breslin) playing quite well off each other, but it doesn't change the fact that the movie is just a tad too slow to get to the action scenes, and the story parts aren't engaging enough to keep me going (Bill Murray (spoiler!spoiler!) and Harrelson's subplot aside).

I like that its Left 4 Dead spiritually (I understand Valve made a Cease & Desist for Zombieland not to even mention L4D), but It's not quite as good as it should be.

Shaun of the Dead is a stronger movie emotionally, on a terrifying scale, on a badass scale (Don't Stop Me Now, that's why), it gave us Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Granted, they were around before this movie, but this movie made me realize they exist), and overall, it has stakes. Stakes I can relate to.

Personally, I choose Shaun of the Dead.