No Right Answer: Best Zombie Movie Ever

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
CynderBloc said:
Dascylus said:
Shaun of the Dead is my personal pick but it is a pretty even match...

But Vampires? Cos if you're gonna debate vampire movies...

Near Dark vs Lost Boys...
That's a great shout, although I would guess that a lot more people would have seen or at least heard of Lost Boys compared to Near Dark.

Of course, Near Dark wins because of the bar scene
I prefer Near Dark too but if it wasn't a close fight it wouldn't be a good game... So...

I see your bar scene and raise you the Frog Brothers trying to expose Max at the dinner table.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
lostlevel said:
As for vampire movies I guess it depends on if we go with comical or serious, I would go with parodies for vampires or pre-twilight vampires that aren't lame.

Got to say though I do enjoy Dracula Dead and Loving It.
No, not another enema!

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Shaun of the Dead is the smarter movie, with actual meaning and recognizable characters, but Zombieland is more fun and I wouldn't mind rewatching it. It's been a long time since I've seen SotD mind, but in my memory I can't recall a character I liked to any degree, even if they were recognizable.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Excuse me? There is no way 'Zombieland' could win this debate. I thought the movie was OK, but nowhere near as great as 'Shaun of the Dead'.

Shaun of the Dead's writing is clever, the actors are fantastic, the (insider) jokes are really good and you can get sooo much more out of the movie if you've been keeping an eye on Simon Pegg's career or the british comedy scene in general.

Sorry, but as much as I like Emma Stone, she doesn't cut it.

Sejborg

Jun 7, 2010
Since the guy on the left only seems to care about fun and crazy in a zombie movie, I am surprised he didn't pick Braindead.

I would pick between Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, or Dawn of the Dead remake, as my number one.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
SotD should have won in my opinion, but from the very start it was easy to predict that it wouldn't =p. Also, I know he didn't get points for this, but how is "because America!" an argument?! X3

rembrandtqeinstein said:
Dead Snow is scary, funny, smart, and well crafted. If you haven't seen it yet watch it and it will make your top 10 list if not bump off your current number 1.
Noooooo! Not Norwegian nazi-zombie crap XD. Seriously, I'm sorry. I'm from Norway, but I can NOT like this movie XD.

Oh, and yes, you ARE allowed to disagree with me. Everyone is. I won't cry X3.

soren7550 said:
"Hey, let's go to the one place that doesn't have zombies, and make tons of noise and turn on flashy lights there! We r smrt!"
So much for their precious "rules"!

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Seriously, did he get an entire point for doing a Jerry Springer esque "AMERICA! USA USA USA!" until his counter went up to 3?

On topic: Shaun of the Dead was really masterfully done. The acting, the setting, the music, the camerawork. It was just really good without ever going too into itself.

Zombieland was good, it was a good movie. But sometimes it felt too... what's the word... like it had no idea what it wanted to be. At first it seems like it'd be a zombie apoc from a thinking man's view (in the vein of Dexter, getting into the mind of it all) but then just degenerates into a typical zombie movie. A good zombie movie, but nothing we've not already seen before.

And yes THAT scene with Woody Harrelson was seven shades of pure awesome, but if we said "best scene in a zombie movie" then that would win hands down. But a movie is the sum of its parts and Shaun of the Dead parts make a larger sum than Zombieland. Simple. Also I personally had been waiting for more Simon Pegg since Spaced stopped airing.

PS: The Bill Murray cameo was stupid and pointless, it was just basically stopping the whole damn movie so people can go "look we have Bill Murray in our movie!" and all the characters were dancing along like one of those over-active interviewers on convention floors. "HOLY SHIT WE'RE HERE WITH ****, OMG IT'S HIM, IT'S HIM". Sorry Bill, it was a nice cameo, but they milked it like some cheesy audience-clap-a-thon shitty sitcomcs.

Rouzeki

Feb 11, 2009
... i am dissapoint!

ok, first of all, Best Zombie movie is a minefield, and as some here have already said, to diss the various splits in the growth of zombie movies over the years is why you can't really call a best. there's a lot of top picks depending on what? best slow zombie, fast zombie, historical relevance, action? welp, you picked two of the better parody-style ones, and I can't blame you. I may have collected my fair share, but SoTD and Zombieland are in my top 5s overall.

as Deshin above me already said Zombieland had good scenes, but for the whole MOVIE, id say SOTD takes this. hands down. maybe i do just really like Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, but it really did feel like it fit the hybrid genre it was given, and as a full movie, ive watched it more than any other zombie film. yeah, Shaun gets down about his problems, but its counterbalanced well by how one day life is normal, then it flips on his head for him in a very surprising manner when we already know something has gone down. its one of my favorite Zero Moment Zombie films just for how it paces the outbreak around shaun- and how he doesn't realize whats going on until the girl in the garden (which, by the way- in the garden there's a girl). the fact they worked in some hilarious sequences despite how much worse it was getting really brought it home into my most watched slot. where with most zombie movies the finale is why i watch, SoTD just felt great the whole way across.

ok, where was the Queen countershot to the "AMERICA!" or "we have Emma Stone" bits? that's a super weapon!

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Since I'm part British, I really should prefer Shaun of the Dead, but I really couldn't click with it like I did with Hot Fuzz. It had funny parts, but overall I found Zombieland much more enjoyable (as long as you ignore that weird Bill Murray cameo which killed the flow of the film a bit for me). And having a brunette Emma Stone helps.

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
AngelOfBlueRoses said:
I can't believe Shaun of the Dead lost. Zombieland was alright, but it just can't compare to SotD
Surprise, 2 Americans choose American movie over British movie. Half of Zombielands points were "its in America".
No surprise really, and definatly not the right answer.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Shaun of the Dead,

A brilliant movie that is smarter, better written, and more entertaining that any other Zombie movie I've ever seen (and trust me I've seen a few of them!)

warthoggunner

Oct 11, 2009
I may not have seen a lot of zombie movies, but:

Land of the Dead
Lots of zombie killing, metaphor, gore, Dennis Hopper. Good fun and not as uncomfortable as other zombie movies.

[for the record: I enjoyed Zombieland and the way better ShaunOTD but somehow I can't see them as "zombie movies"]

l0ckd0wn

Jul 17, 2012
I would like to thank @firefilm for the video, it's done it's part to stimulate the economy... Here's why;

I got home from work last night with the intention of killing some Russians/Marines in BF3, but before I could get started, noticed the video comparing Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland... Couple clicks later I'm listening intently to the playful debate and realized that I really wanted to watch Shaun of the Dead now. Hopped on Netflix; no Shaun of the Dead. Let it slide because I had another movie I wouldn't mind watching either; Zombieland; also not on Netflix. Now I'm left digging through the few hundred DVDs I own just to see if I had purchased either of these movies, which I found I had not. Now I'm irritiated that a guy who rarely watches movies has 2 he would watch right then, but can't. So I watched Lord of War.

I then went to Half.com and immediately purchased both Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland.

Thank you, No Right Answer, for stimulating the economy.

captcha: flip-flops; what I was doing last night trying to decide which zombie classic to watch...

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
l0ckd0wn said:
I would like to thank @firefilm for the video, it's done it's part to stimulate the economy... Here's why;

I got home from work last night with the intention of killing some Russians/Marines in BF3, but before I could get started, noticed the video comparing Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland... Couple clicks later I'm listening intently to the playful debate and realized that I really wanted to watch Shaun of the Dead now. Hopped on Netflix; no Shaun of the Dead. Let it slide because I had another movie I wouldn't mind watching either; Zombieland; also not on Netflix. Now I'm left digging through the few hundred DVDs I own just to see if I had purchased either of these movies, which I found I had not. Now I'm irritiated that a guy who rarely watches movies has 2 he would watch right then, but can't. So I watched Lord of War.

I then went to Half.com and immediately purchased both Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland.

Thank you, No Right Answer, for stimulating the economy.

captcha: flip-flops; what I was doing last night trying to decide which zombie classic to watch...
Just doing our part, thanks for creating jobs for orphans or something? Lol

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Here's hoping World War Z ends up being the best zombie movie yet.

But seriously, enough with the zombies. People need to get more creative.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
AngelOfBlueRoses said:
I can't believe Shaun of the Dead lost. Zombieland was alright, but it just can't compare to SotD
Shaun of the Dead was a clever movie, Zombieland killed my brain a little. I grew tired of the whole 'Merica fuck yeah mentality of Zombieland.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
'MERICA!

Anyway, I can't decide on a better movie between the two. both are good for different reasons.

Touche, gentlemen. Touche.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
Theres no point in even having these things, Romero's Dawn of the Dead (not the remkae) and Day of the Dead take the top 2 spots, with the rest of the movies out there taking a very far 3rd place with maybe 28 Days Later being at the top of that pile... with some of the parodies going beneath it like Shaun of the Dead, though some people wouldn't even count the parodies as some just prefer serious films.