No Right Answer: Bioshock's Rapture vs Fallout's Vaults

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Bioshock's Rapture vs Fallout's Vaults

As our cameraman and editor Dan preps for his first child's birth, we ask the question, should the child's daycare be in the dystopian Rapture from Bioshock, or the apocalyptic Vault system from Fallout? Post your choices below or on twitter!

Watch Video

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Kyle Im disappoint. That was a very weak argument.

Edit: By the way, I own that Jenova's Witness shirt. :D

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Lol. That last line...

Was that just a coincidence, or has someone heard this?:

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Lol. That last line...

Was that just a coincidence, or has someone heard this?:

It's so much better when read by Samuel L. Jackson.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Vaults were you were locked in and 99% of them were experiments - you were lab rats. Rapture was a dream city that just failed, the intention was that it would be perfect. So i would chose Rapture.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
First time I've had to facepalm at Kyle's answer since the series started. You are never safe in the vaults, unless you happen to be in one of the 17 (is it 17?) Vaults that weren't used in social experiments.

I'll take my chances in Rapture. Obviously not everyone in Rapture lost their marbles and Jack managed to splice without going insane considering he shot himself up with everything!

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Well that was rather one-sided... and I don't think those points were awarded quite fairly on balance.

Still, I'd preffer the russian roulette of potentially getting a horrible vault to the certainty playground bullies hiding behind objectivism would be screwing my over all throughout childhood.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
Still, I'd preffer the russian roulette of potentially getting a horrible vault to the certainty playground bullies hiding behind objectivism would be screwing my over all throughout childhood.
It's more like reverse Russian Roulette. There's a six shooter with five loaded cylinders and one empty one.

Son of a Mitch

Aug 7, 2011
"Would you kindly put the book down, and go the fuck to sleep?"
HAHAHAHAHAHAAA! That was awesome.

OT: Hell yes for Rapture. I hear that in rapture, a boy becomes a man when he puts on a scuba suit and kills his first great white with a wrench. And by 'heard' I mean 'made up.'

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Most Vaults were deathtraps and/or experiments from the beginning. Anyone who has any semblance of knowledge about the Fallout lore would know this. As much as I love Fallout, I have to choose Rapture, because it is more likely that you would survive there.

By the way, that Jenova's Witnesses shirt...The name suggests that it's an FFVII reference, but the picture...Yeah, I'm not seeing it. Anyone care to point it out to me and make me look like a moron?

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
leviadragon99 said:
It's more like reverse Russian Roulette. There's a six shooter with six loaded cylinders and one empty one.
So it's a six shooter with seven cylinders? MADNESS!

I think I'd go with Rapture, though neither were very appealing. At least with Rapture I'm less likely to go mad and more likely to jut be murdered.

Also, the guy on the right (I'm horrible with names, I know) is extremely fast with the water. Maybe you guys should make this a drinking game instead. :p

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
Come on man. By definition the vaults were better then Rapture.

Rapture was built as a place where everyone would be free to do what they liked, BUT ultimately it turned out that if you did not have the same idea as Ryan, about what free meant you would be shut down. Your freedoms would be curtailed. So that highly regarded "freedom" was just a thin veneer. This of course is the problem with Rapture and other libertarian utopias (or any utopia). Someone will always decide that his freedom is more important then other peoples freedom. When this happens the system breaks down and anarchy ensues. But you may argue that until everything goes to hell and a hand-basket you have a good childhood. Try going around and listening to some of the recordings. People were poor. Parents had no money. It was the real normal world all over. People went there for a new beginning but found only the same old, only now the rich had even more power. So mommy would have to whore herself out while dad tried in vain to get people to buy his art. You were left to fight for yourself in the streets of Rapture and looked upon as little more then a rat. And then the lunatics would start appearing. People spliced to all hell. You would have to avoid them on your own. Then you might find your own mother cut up by one of these freaks. Turns out the freak was your father. So now you are totally alone. And the freaks a closing in.... and good forbid you are a little girl. God only knows what would happen to you then.

Now lets look at the Vaults. The world has gone to hell. No denying that. Most of the vaults were social experiments. No denying that. But they were not all the kind that drove people batshit crazy. One of them only had a faulty water chip. They sent out one of the people you grew up with out into the world to find one and everyone would be fine. You would be probably be safe. Get a good education. You would be cared for, have friends and never really need anything. And when it came time to go out into the world you would have a G.E.C.K to work with. There might be made up obstructions, but in the end you would probably be able to make it. You would be fine. maybe irradiated but fine.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Kapol said:
Azure-Supernova said:
leviadragon99 said:
It's more like reverse Russian Roulette. There's a six shooter with six loaded cylinders and one empty one.

I think I'd go with Rapture, though neither were very appealing. At least with Rapture I'm less likely to go mad and more likely to jut be murdered.

Also, the guy on the right (I'm horrible with names, I know) is extremely fast with the water. Maybe you guys should make this a drinking game instead. :p
I fixed that :p But even then I don't suppose it'd be wrong, given that the Vaults were expensive to get a place in (unless you were chosen for a specific purpose) that the chances of getting into one are pretty big, you then of course have to make sure you're getting into one of the 'good' 17 out of 122.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
JakobBloch said:
One of them only had a faulty water chip. They sent out one of the people you grew up with out into the world to find one and everyone would be fine.
Except that at the end of Fallout you bring back a water chip, saving the entire vault, but the Overseer turns out to be a huge cock and tells you that you can't come back in ever, basically because you've become a wise badass and you're a threat to his control.

Kapol said:
Azure-Supernova said:
leviadragon99 said:

I fixed that :p But even then I don't suppose it'd be wrong, given that the Vaults were expensive to get a place in (unless you were chosen for a specific purpose) that the chances of getting into one are pretty big, you then of course have to make sure you're getting into one of the 'good' 17 out of 122.

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
TLS14 said:
By the way, that Jenova's Witnesses shirt...The name suggests that it's an FFVII reference, but the picture...Yeah, I'm not seeing it. Anyone care to point it out to me and make me look like a moron?
Well it's a wing with a halo. Angels have halos...get it?

But that shirt...DO WANT. Like seriously, I want to know where he got that.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
with the exception of very few vault they were just giant labs and you are the lab rats. Rapture was at least designed to be good and you can't really argue over the sound of me burning you alive with my hands.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Iklwa said:
TLS14 said:
Well it's a wing with a halo. Angels have halos...get it?

But that shirt...DO WANT. Like seriously, I want to know where he got that.
Well, now I get it. I forgot about the side effects of the Jenova cells.

Also, here's [http://sharkrobot.com/t-shirts/jenova-s-witness] a link to it that I just found. Seriously dude, Google is your best friend.