No Right Answer: Comedian Who Was Funny

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
misterprickly said:
Here's the thing...
Jim Carrey gets PAID millions to be in a movie.
Adam Sandler has to PAY millions to be in a movie.

Jim's worst movies STILL bring in more money than Adams best movies. IMO.
And yet Adam Sandler's net worth is three hundred million dollars, Jim Carrey's net worth is literally only half that at a hundred and fifty million dollars. I really hope Jim blew it all living like a Hollywood pimp for a decade or two.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I really like Jim Carrey. Loved him in Bruce Almighty, ESotSM and Yes Man. Oh, and Philip Morris, The Grinch and Liar Liar.

Sandler, on the other hand, I only really like The Wedding Singer. Hell, I even have a slight soft spot for Happy Gilmore, though mostly because it was showing at a really boring holiday park I got dragged to when I was a teen and I basically spent my entire time in their mini-cinema (they also showed the first three pokemon movies. That helped the experience A LOT!).

XavierPrice

Sep 14, 2009
23 was a great movie. The first thing I saw Carey in where he was doing straight drama, and it worked! Pretty suspenseful movie, that one. He needs to do more like that. I much prefer his dramas to his comedies, since his comedies are... well, dumb.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I agree Jim Carrey has fallen farther - but only because Adam Sandler was never anywhere near as funny as him to begin with. Jim Carrey has fallen a lot but he is STILL funnier today than Adam Sandler is or has ever been. So I agree with the result but if the debate was "Who WAS the best?" then Carrey should've won hands down. For "Who has fallen the farthest?", Sandler just seems like a bad option.

Ron Alphafight

Oct 10, 2012
Callate said:
I have to say that I may not care so much about Jim Carrey movies anymore, but Adam Sandler's movies are the ones that make me go, "AHHH! WHY? WHYYY?! WON'T SOMEONE MAKE HIM STOP, ALREADY?!"
This. In terms of comedy, Jim Carrey may be irrelevant, but Adam Sandler is hated.

Carrey got booed and left the stage. Sandler got booed and kept going...and going... and going. Now he's being pelted with tomatoes and he brings out his friends to get pelted with him.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
"and fell the farthest." Isn't it "furthest"? since it in no way implies physical distance.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
I would like to see a round 2 for this.
Tyler Perry Vs Ben Stiller.

Or maybe
Eddie Murphy Vs Steve Martin.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
JenSeven said:

Or maybe
I second this, but FU, Steve Martin is still genuinely funny and he has a sense of whats comedic.
I would send to your consideration Robin Williams. Most of his last works: SUV (or whatever its called), license to marry, the one with John Travolta, ugh...

Btw, remember that Adam Sandler's studio (Happy Madison) is producing most of what Kevin James is making nowadays, which is a lot of wasted potential, the guy is likeable and funny, but the writing is painful in each of his movies.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
VZLANemesis said:
JenSeven said:

Or maybe
I second this, but FU, Steve Martin is still genuinely funny and he has a sense of whats comedic.
I would send to your consideration Robin Williams. Most of his last works: SUV (or whatever its called), license to marry, the one with John Travolta, ugh...

Btw, remember that Adam Sandler's studio (Happy Madison) is producing most of what Kevin James is making nowadays, which is a lot of wasted potential, the guy is likeable and funny, but the writing is painful in each of his movies.
I never really understood why people think Steve Martin is funny. I can never watch a movie he is in, I get this feeling, I'm not sure how to translate it into English properly but I would describe it as substitute embarrassment. His movies are usually so bad, so lacking in actual comedy and just embarrassing that I cannot escape getting that same feeling.
It could be because I'm more partial to the British sense of humour and not the American, but I seriously cannot stand that man. His style, or lack of, comedy is so contrary to what I perceive as comedy that I cannot think of him as an actual comedian, and most people inspired by him.
If anyone could explain to me what is funny about him and what is funny about the type of comedy he employs I would be grateful (wouldn't make anything he's in watchable to be but still).

Frank Van Der Mast

Jun 9, 2010
I'm a bit offended that amongst all the movies they mentioned in their argumentation the following 2 didn't come up:

adam sandler at his best in comedy (back when hollywood wasn't as uptight about stuff): Little Nicky
jim carey doing proper drama: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

These 2 movies are by far some of my favourite works in comedy and drama and to anyone that hasn't seen either one of them I HIGHLY recommend watching them!

You can't get much more funny than hitler in a black&white maid's outfit getting a huge pineapple shoved up his anus and eternal sunshine is simply one of the most moving movies I've ever seen, it's just so lovely.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Despite the fact that he was mentioned in the debate, I'm of the mind that Eddie Murphy fell further than either Carrey or Sandler. His SNL sketches? Consistently well-written and acted. His first batch of movies (re: Beverly Hills Cop, Coming to America)? Still worth watching in this day and age.

And then came the fat suit.

Don't get me wrong, dulling an edgy comic's fangs with family movies is always a bad career move. But you can kind of tell when a comedian starts running out of ideas when they say "Hey guys, what if I pretended to be morbidly obese for two hours?"

Honorable mention goes to Jimmy Kimmel. He's followed the same career arc as Sandler, but he's had the common decency to keep it strictly to late night television, meaning he can be easily ignored.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
hey hey hey! "that's my boy was awesome"! sure it wasn't happy Gilmore great but i was in stitches man, oh and grown ups was pretty funny too Sander has some duds but he was some good movies recently too.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
Really liked this one guys! I find you're best episodes are the ones like this where there is two layers.

For example, 'Best ***** movie' can get a bit boring. 'Best thing that was a thing but isn't any more'; well that just gives you much more scope for interesting discussion. Something like 'most ***** that you most love to hate', OR '***** that you hate to love.'

Keep up the good work guys, love the show as always.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey both used to be more funny than they are today.

But Adam Sandler I feel hasn't really made anything good lately. He's trying. A lot. But he's never actually funny. For every 10 jokes, only 1 of them pulls through and gives you a chuckle.

Jim Carrey still has some comedies. (even though most of them are drama-comedies) I LOVED Bruce Almighty. I LOVED Yes man. I absolutely adored Truman Show. Even the Cable Guy I liked.