No Right Answer: Green Lantern Corps vs the Jedi

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
But where in all this do the stonecutters fit?

That's the real issue.

FilipJPhry said:
In terms of nobility, think about this: Whenever a GL went rogue, they are deemed not fit to wield their ring and would be taken immediately. Sinestro: 1 rogue GL.
One in five Jedi become Sith. Think about that.
Friends don't let friends become Jedi.

Only you can prevent Sith outbreaks.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Both groups have their evil exception. Green Lantern Corps has Sinestro, Jedi has everyone who has been tempted to and joined the Sith. Only difference is Sinestro went off and started his own not-so-noble group, the Sinestro Corps (or the Yellow Lanters, whichever you want to call 'em) and the Jedi's evil counterpart has always been around. I think I'd have to give it to the Jedi, though, since in the new 52, the Guardians are rapidly becoming the most evil bastards in the universe, according to what I hear.

However, could you imagine this guy with both a ring and a lightsaber?

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Alright, let me weigh in on my opinion on this thing.

Okay, first off, they both take some pretty nasty measures in recruiting. That being that, greenlanterndom is forced while Jediism is indoctrination.

However, Entering the green lantern corp you literally don't have to do much of anything even remotely objectionable, some pretty standard heroics, while joining the jedi involves a pretty strict philosophy, which as you know, had some negative consequences.

On that same note, being a jedi is a burden, while being a green lantern, due to their less defined nature, can be very much an opportunity, it gives you powers you can actually use, which tends to be a lot better on their members.

Moreover, the jedi order lies about their methods. They preach about nonviolent solutions and yet their first resort when faced with a problem is to shove a sword up its ass. The GLC is both decidedly open about their violent nature and less brutal than the jedi order.

So yeah I'm gonna have to go with the GLC on this one.

fatguy925

May 27, 2009
White lantern =/= good, it is life... white lantern scarecrow o_O yah.. good?
Green is more noble lol, it has more gray area to do good, and there have been jedi to corrupt their powers and think they are better then others, and noble is more like u are picked, and yet u do not care...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
theheroofaction said:
However, Entering the green lantern corp you literally don't have to do much of anything even remotely objectionable, some pretty standard heroics, while joining the jedi involves a pretty strict philosophy, which as you know, had some negative consequences.
In fact, the Jedi practically embody the notion that all that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. of course, in this case it's more good men, women, and small green things, but still.

I don't know as much about the Green Lantern corps, but they always seemed to at least be more proactive than the Jedi.

Moreover, the jedi order lies about their methods. They preach about nonviolent solutions and yet their first resort when faced with a problem is to shove a sword up its ass. The GLC is both decidedly open about their violent nature and less brutal than the jedi order.
I think that's more bad writing than anything else. And Lucas' short attention span. "Okay guys, I just wrote this brilliant political analogue to the PATRIOT ACT, now let's do some swordfighting! PEW! PEW! NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
Oh yeah, the Green lanterns and their creators are totally noble, I mean tearing out someone's internal organs and personality to replace them with robotics and a power battery to act as their internal police is totally justifiable.

And the Manhunter robots? Stroke of genius!

/Sarcasm.
Yes because they totally do that without the persons consent.

talideon

Mar 18, 2011
Uncool Christina Ricci dig! Ok, so her head might be slightly disproportionally big compared to her body, but she's tiny, and what a head and what a body!

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
I knew the moment I saw the question who would win, however I was hoping for the Green Lanterns. Being a Jedi is basically just an in-universe turning on of all the cheats. While Lanterns aren't significantly better, they at least require willpower and intelligence to use their powers. Jedi just need a clear mind or some such stupid.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
The Great JT said:
Both groups have their evil exception. Green Lantern Corps has Sinestro, Jedi has everyone who has been tempted to and joined the Sith. Only difference is Sinestro went off and started his own not-so-noble group, the Sinestro Corps (or the Yellow Lanters, whichever you want to call 'em) and the Jedi's evil counterpart has always been around. I think I'd have to give it to the Jedi, though, since in the new 52, the Guardians are rapidly becoming the most evil bastards in the universe, according to what I hear.

If that guy himself imagines that he has a lightsaber... I don't know what would happen.

All I can say is thank you DC for not giving Booster Gold a power ring. Ever.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
hmm, i like the jedi more honestly.

The Jedi are strict and i think that's where they cause a loot of their problems. they have to many rules. the lock down on emotions is something that people have a very hard time with, and being good and in the light doesn't require killing off your emotions like the jedi think. however i also see just WHY the do it to. the do it because people like Vader exist. he whole romance with Padme could have worked out but emotions like fear for the future got the better of him.

going by Revan and Jolee Bindo, you can love and feel emotion, but know the dangers and what to avoid. that's entirety a personal quest that require knowing yourself, who you are and what you could become given the wrong choices. and is a difficult policy to teacher to a whole order. which is why the order chose to just make you detach yourself from the emotions, avoid the whole messy issue altogether. which obviously is not going to work with some people and when your dealing with people like force users going evil has a lot more danger in it for the galaxy.

Ken From Chicago

Dec 30, 2011
This is insane. First of all, Kyle totally undermines his own argument. In the movie, just as in the comics, Hal actually CHOOSES to be a Green Lantern, to fight for truth, justice and the Green Lantern way--NOT because some old dude said he was born to be a jedi and he had no choice.

Second, even when Hal went all psycho Darth Vader and killed every other Green Lantern to become the supervillain, Parallax--in the comic book version, not the yellow blob pale ripoff of FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER movie "cloud" version of Galactus--even then, he sacrificed his own life to save Earth and the universe in Zero Hour. What did Darth "Annie" Vader do that was noble? Kill some old dude that was attacking his son--nowhere close to noble, not even within ... twelve parsecs.

Chris, you were robbed! Recount! RECOUNT!

-- Ken from Chicago

P.S. And every Green Lantern can match the telekinetic powers of the jedi, create their own lightsabers or a million of them if they feel like it, and even withstand jedi mind tricks because they are trained to strengthen their willpower to be a weapon.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm gonna go with... Jedi using Green Lantern rings.

Because that sounds ridiculously awesome and overpowered.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
The Great JT said:
I haven't kept up too much with him, but how many different colored rings did he ever have?

I know green, yellow, and red, but has he had any other colors too?

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Buretsu said:
Do you want to go with the Green Lanterns, and gain a ring which allows you to make your imagination manifest?

Or do you want to join the Jedi, gain a glowy sword, and become an emotionless robot, because every single feeling you have (love, hate, happiness, sadness) is inevitably a path to the Dark Side?

Tough choice.
The guardians of the universe are Jedi XD

But both orders shared the terrible fate of the modern movies. I think we all know who were the ultimate evil responsible for those:

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Considering that both the Jedi and the GL Corps have their evil counterparts (Yellow Lanterns and Sith respectively) I wouldn't say that either is incorruptable.
All things considered, Lanters are pretty great, but Jedi still wins for me.

Ilja Lyubimov

Oct 15, 2011
Stupid spandex-wearing chubs from comics versus noble warriors of skill and wisdom?

yes the answer is JEDI FOR THE SAKE OF FUCK