No Right Answer: Han Solo vs. Indiana Jones

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Indiana Jones' father is James Bond technically. I'm a big Solo fan (a Han boy if you will) but I feel that needs to be out there

Feb 13, 2008
NaramSuen said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
One word: Deckard.
I think you both owe me one.
While I agree that Blade Runner was the best movie Harrison Ford was ever in, Deckard was not his best role.
I beg to differ. When did Solo or Jones show any weakness? As in, down and out with nowhere to run. Deckard, ironically, is one of the most human characters Harrison Ford played.

You could argue it's not his best role. But it's his best acting.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I think there should be a best archeologist debate! Daniel Jackson vs Indiana Jones!

Except that Daniel Jackson wins because he travels to other planets, other galaxies, to other dimensions AND at least once, travels through time.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
... that was an unfortunate hand gesture you made when you said "comic where Han Solo and Indiana Jones meet". Makes me think I'll only find the comic on yaoidoujinfreak.com...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh...a few years back, this'd be quite different, but both took a nerfing with rehashes and sequels.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Crap, you mentioned it out loud! Now he's going to go back and re-edit them. What have you done!?

Please don't let there be any retroactive re-edits of Indy, please.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
NaramSuen said:
While I agree that Blade Runner was the best movie Harrison Ford was ever in, Deckard was not his best role.
I beg to differ. When did Solo or Jones show any weakness? As in, down and out with nowhere to run. Deckard, ironically, is one of the most human characters Harrison Ford played.

I don't think that it's his best acting either. I think his two best films, acting wise were Frantic and Witness.

Feb 13, 2008
NaramSuen said:
NaramSuen said:

I don't think that it's his best acting either. I think his two best films, acting wise were Frantic and Witness.
Ford's a difficult case because he's from the Shorn Connory shchool of achting, where the entire character seems based off one emotional response to any situation (See Keanu/Winona).

Bladerunner, I think, let's him show far more of a range.

Migratingchimp

Jun 7, 2010
BTW the Comicgasm link tries to load a java script that NOD32 hates not computer savvy enough to know what all is wrong with it but my NOD considers it to be high level threat.

Lyndraco

Jun 12, 2008
I would personally give this one to Han Solo, for all the reasons that have been mentioned. My issue with Indiana Jones is that he's a terrible representative for archaeology (he is, after all, a grave robber, treasure hunter, and looter). I can enjoy the Han Solo character without feeling guilty, whereas when I watch Indiana Jones all I can do is cringe at the bad 'archaeology' that is being done. As a character he is cool and smart, but completely unrealistic. While it is conceivable that a rogue space pirate gun slinger may exist, you would not find an archaeologist with a PhD (such as Dr. Jones) out looting tombs. They would get blacklisted and never allowed to work in the field again.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I don't recall Han ever beating the crap out of someone twice his size, I prefer indy.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Guys, you made a factual error. You claimed there was some 'fourth indy movie' or something. I can claim with certainty that there is no such thing.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Personally I gotta go with Indy if for no other reason than the fact that he does, indeed, have a personal theme song that kicks in every time he starts kicking ass. The things he's done and seen, the places he's been to, the ancient relics he's recovered...that is a VERY impressive resume. What does Han have under his belt? I'm a smuggler. I smuggled the rebels out of Tatooine and off the Death Star. I played second fiddle to Luke so he could take his shot to blow up the first Death Star. I ran half way across the galaxy and still ended up getting caught by the empire. Perhaps the only real feather in his non-existant cap is that he technically brought about the death of Boba Fett....by being blind and turning around aimlessly while holding a pole and accidently bumping Boba into the pit. When you REALLY sit down and think of it...Han Solo only does 4 crucial things in the entire series: Get'em off Tatooine, Get'em off the Death Star, and he saves Luke's life twice (against Darth during the trench run and again on Hoth). Other than that he's more just around for the ride and the one-liners.

And now for some responses:

DVS BSTrD said:
Tough choice, but I'm gunna have to go with the one who shot first ;)
To be fair, Jones does have a "Jones Shot First" moment in his movies. Can't remember if it's Raiders or Last Crusade, but at one point he's in a middle eastern town. A guy jumps out with a scimitar and doees a buncha fancy ninja-ish movies to show what a badass he is with the sword...to which Jones just pulls out his gun and shoots him. :3

Lyndraco said:
I would personally give this one to Han Solo, for all the reasons that have been mentioned. My issue with Indiana Jones is that he's a terrible representative for archaeology (he is, after all, a grave robber, treasure hunter, and looter). I can enjoy the Han Solo character without feeling guilty, whereas when I watch Indiana Jones all I can do is cringe at the bad 'archaeology' that is being done. As a character he is cool and smart, but completely unrealistic. While it is conceivable that a rogue space pirate gun slinger may exist, you would not find an archaeologist with a PhD (such as Dr. Jones) out looting tombs. They would get blacklisted and never allowed to work in the field again.
You seem to be missing the key difference between a grave robber and an archaeologist. The Nazis were the grave robbers, they sought to plunder those ancient treasures for their own personal gain. Any time Indiana was after an artificat, it was so he culd put it in a museum...which is what archaeologists do. He never intended to sell them or keep them as personal trophies, anything he brought back with him was turned in to the proper authorities. Granted, the vast majority of archaeologists probably don't get chased by giant spherical boulders or run afoul with an ancient Indian cult or bust open the floor of a library to find an crusader's tomb (that one I actually will give you as being non-archaeologist-like behavoir...can't really go around bustig holes in people's floors), but all in all he's performing his actions for non-selfish reasons, so he's not a simple grave robber.

Now if you're putting them both to a morality test, Han Solo was by definition an outlaw. He was a space smuggler who broke the law so his clients wouldn't have to themselves. Granted by the time the Rebels pick him up we get to see him change from hard-nosed space smuggler to a smooth and very handy rebel leader, but before that he was a criminal.

Drazi said:
John McClane has been beat up far more.
:p I was gonna bbring this up as well. For that matter, can anyone name five movies in which Bruce Willis plays the lead role and DOESN'T end up wearing a filty/blood covered whitebeater as he limps and hobbles after the main bad guy?

K_Dub said:
Han Solo doesn't have a hat. Indy wins in my book.
I've gotta say that I agree with your logic there.

May 29, 2011
Harrison ford was practically the same character in every movie hes ever been in. The different names are irrelevant. I for one suggest that Ford is actually a timetraveling traveling secret agent working under Jesus, and all the different movies have the same person.

MBE

Jul 1, 2009
(The Escapist censorbot didn't like my original post, so I decided to boil it down to see if it gets censored.)

Why Han Solo > Indiana Jones...

"Kingdom of Crystal Skull":Indiana Jones::Jerry Sandusky:Joe Paterno

If Indiana Jones had retired one year/film earlier ("Last Crusade") he would have gone out at the high point of his career. But because they had to make one last film, they irreparably ruined Indiana Jones' reputation.

Lyndraco

Jun 12, 2008
RJ 17 said:
You seem to be missing the key difference between a grave robber and an archaeologist. The Nazis were the grave robbers, they sought to plunder those ancient treasures for their own personal gain. Any time Indiana was after an artificat, it was so he culd put it in a museum...which is what archaeologists do. He never intended to sell them or keep them as personal trophies, anything he brought back with him was turned in to the proper authorities. Granted, the vast majority of archaeologists probably don't get chased by giant spherical boulders or run afoul with an ancient Indian cult or bust open the floor of a library to find an crusader's tomb (that one I actually will give you as being non-archaeologist-like behavoir...can't really go around bustig holes in people's floors), but all in all he's performing his actions for non-selfish reasons, so he's not a simple grave robber.
My rebuttal: archaeology is only partly about the artifacts, its more about where those artifacts came from. As an archaeologist myself, I could provide an entire lecture as to why Indy is not an archaeologist, but basically, putting artifacts into a museum does not make one an archaeologist. That said, if archaeology was really this exciting and badass, I would never have a problem getting funding!