No Right Answer: Subbing Vs. Dubbing

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
Weaver said:
Subs forever!

A good sub is easier to do than a good dub. As a result dubs are frequently bad in Anime.
Look at what Sentai Filmworks just did with Log Horizon. No really, LOOK AT IT It's actually laughable; as in I watched it busting my sides laughing at how hilariously horrible it is.

What's the best the anime industry really has? Steve Blum? He's honestly not the golden boy of voice acting everyone points to. He's better than most, but I still feel there's lots of voice actors that are better but are simply too costly for the anime industry.

Though it's not like Japan doesn't make shitty VOs either.
What's wrong with black Nyanta? He is a cool cat that ain't got time for being pommy nobility.
Ikajo said:
I must actually say I think that English-speakers who prefer dub is kind of lazy. My native language is Swedish. Yet I watch anime in Japanese while reading the English subtitles. Every movie coming out of the US and UK are subbed so I've gotten used to reading subtitles. This is the norm in my country. Disney gets dubbed and even then, you will be able to see the original, most adults do. The dub always do strange things to the original series. They tend to change the tone and sometimes even the content have changed completely.
I've never missed any part of the video because I was reading the sub. If it's hard in the beginning, learn how to see the text as a whole.

I'm kind of a purist (I actually know Japanese to some extent) but if someone don't want to learn Japanese, I won't mind. That's their choice.
This is why I love dubs. I like watching them specifically to see someone else's spin on another person's character. Weaver's clip from Log Horizon is a perfect example as they transformed a schwasbuckler into a black guy (which are two different flavours of cool).
The way I try to enjoy dubs is to see them as individual works independant of the material they were adapted from. Although I do not think I would have enjoyed the dub of Log Horizon nearly as much if I hadn't watched the subtittled version first, since seeing Nyanta transformed from a chivalrous schwasbuckler into a cool-assed swinger was just so awesome.

CaptainBill22

Nov 18, 2009
Sure people say that it's hard to comprehend and enjoy an anime with subs, and that's simply not true. It really is multitasking and after a while at least for me the sub titles and the show just blend together.

The problem with dubs is they are more expensive to produce and a company with the capital to do so like Funimation does the translation and dubbing. That also means localization which removes or replaces things in the name of censorship or replacing some cultural references to have it make more sense to a different audience.

werewolfgold

May 25, 2013
At this point in time, I've seen a lot of both dubbed and subbed and I can say definitively that...

...it depends.

Live action stuff, it's probably best just to go with subtitles. Animated, though, it depends on the setting and what makes sense. I'll talk about anime since it's the low hanging fruit. There are some anime which are set in Western locales where everyone would be speaking English regardless (Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, etc.). Usually, it just feels more congruous. On a related note, some Japanese actors try to employ English to...facepalm-worthy effect. English is seen as "cool" in Japan, and thus people will try to throw it in at random points just to be dumb. And, because of how many more sounds English has over Japanese...4 times out of 5, it sounds ridiculous. Example: Father Anderson in Hellsing Ultimate tried to bust out a bible verse in English and it was...no. Just no. I love Norio Wakamoto to death, but...stop it. lol Or if anyone has watched Terror in Resonance...listening to Megumi Han speak English is a trying experience.

There are a few voice actors that can get away with it, because they actually know the English language to a decent extent or are just coached on it rather well. (Though sometimes it being kind of terrible is what makes it work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9J5tYShNY8)

I haven't heard a lot of things that originated in English dubbed into another language, though. Maybe I should look into that.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Subbed. Always.

Dubs are fucking hideous, without a single exception. There's not a single US anime circuit VA worth their cheque. Always play games in JP, always watch anime subbed, always avoid altogether if there's no alternative to an experience degrading dub.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
While in theory I'm a fan of not having to read every scene, because it does detract from the action, the problem with arguing about "good" dubs is that they're so few and far in-between, unless you only watch Miyazaki.

The main advantage with subs is that your brain knows that what you're reading is a translation - and that translation has to be pretty bad to be jarring. With anything less than a really good dub the experience is immediately jarring.

It's like you went there for some Miyazaki and what you got was more like '80s Transformers or, you know, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L7ONwQEKVwQ#t=63

Less extreme example, there are tonnes of series I love which I just can't bring myself to watch in English without cringing. Higurashi did okay, as did Sword Art Online, but some of it's so hit-and-miss it can ruin a whole otherwise-epic scene.

Honorable mention to shows like Digimon, which know they're childish but still manage to sneak in some more adult jokes into the dub.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
werewolfgold said:
At this point in time, I've seen a lot of both dubbed and subbed and I can say definitively that...

(snip)

There are a few voice actors that can get away with it, because they actually know the English language to a decent extent or are just coached on it rather well. (Though sometimes it being kind of terrible is what makes it work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9J5tYShNY8)

I haven't heard a lot of things that originated in English dubbed into another language, though. Maybe I should look into that.
Was honestly expecting your example to be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYvhhMjW32k

umbraticus

May 4, 2011
subbing period.
i'm not from an english speaking country so i watched a lot of stuff with subtitles growing up. subbing is so much better because the original performance of the actors is intact, the rythm is better and the lips say the correct words! it draws you out of the experience so much when the faces and text don't do the same thing.
if subtitles are too fast for you or the scene is lost because you were reading too much, go back to first grade please ;)

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Anyone who dubs live action material deserves to be sent of to the gulags.

I don't care much for animation. And when I watch anime I usually switch between the Japanese and English voices and pick the option I like the best (or find the least irritating).

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Dubbing tend sto loos cultural nuances simply because the dubbers feel that it might be something the watcher wont understand.

Examples:

Suffixes on names, the star on a Popsicle that could win you another one, calling someone "mister" vs "uncle"

And I just watched a couple of episodes from two different anime this week. On a technical level, the dubs were probably good... but man did it just sound bad to me.

Which reminds me, sometimes people just fucking sound terrible and I'm forced to listen to them, rather than read them.

Example:

Tina from Ai Yori Aoshi.

I could not watch that series in dub because of her.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
I will have to say dubbed because as my friend would say ?I am American, I do not want to read.?

But on the flip side I have heard some really bad dub?s from the older shows.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Depends very much on the quality of the dub, which tends to mean I find subtitles better because it is MUCH easier to have quality subtitles than quality dubbed tracks.

Some dubs are good enough that they're my "default" imagining of a thing, though. Cowboy Bebop is the one people always hold up, and it's great, but the #1 example for me is...Batou, from Ghost in the Shell. The English dub for Batou is the "right" Batou voice in my head. His original Japanese VA is great, too, but doesn't resonate with me the same way.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I much prefer subs. Mostly that's because there are so many bad dubs out there. From what I hear they've been getting better recently, but I can't say if that's true or not.

If they did release some really good dubs, I might well switch. I used to watch a lot of anime before I started working and lost a lot of my free time. Now I watch 7-10 episodes a week, because you can't do anything else whilst reading the subs. If they were well dubbed I'd just watch like I do Netflix, which is to say I barely watch it as I browse the internet or play games.

werewolfgold

May 25, 2013
Candidus said:
Dubs are fucking hideous, without a single exception. There's not a single US anime circuit VA worth their cheque.

Don't be that guy. lol

ExileNZ said:
Was honestly expecting your example to be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYvhhMjW32k
...I feel like Okabe was amusing at first, but it got old kind of quickly for me. Still a good show, though.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
hermes200 said:
I am a decently fast reader, and can keep up with the action and the dialogue; and a lot of content can be lost in the translation.
I can't read fast enough to keep up with the film, so I have to constantly break the flow by pausing it every time someone says anything. I can't even keep up with the dialogue in Forest Gump (just tested).

orangeapples said:
Ummm, isn't Chris's job localization for Nintendo? Dubbing is part of that, right? He's a little bit biased here.
Relevant experience, not bias.

thanatos388 said:
In my experience people who say they can't pay attention to the screen and the subtitles are people who never actually watch things subtitles more than once or twice but never all the way through or just a few episodes of something.
I am confused about the meaning of this statement, could you enlarge please?

Ikajo said:
I must actually say I think that English-speakers who prefer dub is kind of lazy.

(ZEEE SNIPS!!)

I've never missed any part of the video because I was reading the sub. If it's hard in the beginning, learn how to see the text as a whole.
I can't watch a film and read at the same time. If I am reading subtitles, the film might as well not be happening above them because I won't see any of it. I never watch subtitled films because I have to spend so much time pausing and rewinding to both understand the dialogue and see the visuals that it is almost as if I have to edit the film myself just to watch it.

I have one exception. If the main experience is in English, but a character says Dialogue in another language that the viewer needs to understand, put that shit in irremovable subtitles bottom and center on the screen. I don't want to have to stop the film and fuck around in my subtitle setting just to understand one line.

able_to_think

Apr 7, 2010
Dubbed. Movies and anime use a combination of visuals and sound to tell a story. When you put subtitles at the bottom you distract from the visual aspect because your eyes keep having to flick back and forth between the picture and the text. It's not "purer" because you're still relying on the skill of the translators. The only way to get the "pure" experience is to be fluent in the original language.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is one of the best examples of an english translation done right. I watched the original japanese sub before an english dub was even announced and actually though it wouldn't work because of how the original dialog was paced and structured. Then I watched the dub and I will never go back. They rewrote so much of the script that it doesn't even feel like a translation but it actually is very faithful to the original.

I think of dubs as localization, not translation. Asian languages are structured differently than western ones so just having someone read the translated text it's going to be like those early dubs that had people speaking really fast. I think the best way to go about a dub is to rewrite the entire script in english while using the translation as a guide. It won't be 100% faithful to the source but if it's done well you'll have the same experience as a japanese person watching it in japanese because you'll be experiencing it with your linguistic and cultural quirks instead of theirs.

Ragnoon

Aug 9, 2014
My preference is to watch the dubbed version. If I have watched subbed and I find it to hard watch and multitask at the same time (I don't have a lot of free time), with a dub i can just listen to the audio and still get most of the story. Unlike the early days, companies like funimation normally take care about the show that they are dubbing. To my knowledge they haven't done a "bad" dub for a while, that being said it also depends on the source material and how well they can translate for a western culture. So for anime, I prefer dubs. Live action movies, most definitely subs.

Nydestroyer

Jun 12, 2011
I got drawn into Anime from the dubs when I was younger but my craving for more Anime made me watch things dubbed because I was sick of waiting for new episodes. At first I could not keep up and had a pause sometimes to read what was going on, I was like 11 at the time XD, but honestly after 8 years of watching purely subbed Anime it is extremely easy to read and pay attention to the action. Honestly at this point I don't feel like I am reading at all but it has one downside I have grown to hate most all dubbed Anime English just does not sound right coming from the characters. Not saying its bad it just feels off well except in special cases such as Animes I originally watched in english and then rewatched subbed.

Now that I really think about it I think it was a bad and really annoying voice actor from the english version of Gantz that made me really want to only watch subbed XD. Thanks (searches myanimelist) Ayres, Christopher who apparently has some good work but I could not stand his voice in the show XD

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Kyle's entire argument is against bad dubbing. What about good dubbing? Couldn't we make the exact same arguments against bad subbing that Kyle made against bad dubbing? Translation gets laughably bad still.

Frankly, I think having to read the text causes me to miss out on a lot more than audio. I consider visual input to be far more relevant to movies depending on the genre you're watching.

What's interesting is that there are some genres where my answer would change and even story types. But a wordy slog of a movie? You might as well be reading a book rather than watching a movie. What's the golden rule of movies if not "Show don't tell"?