No Right Answer: Wood vs. Yellow

May 5, 2010
I like it. It's like if Moviebob cloned and then argued with himself....Except you guys are less obnoxious.

Also, I giggled like a child at "I have wood everywhere!"

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I like this concept, and those guys are funny. Actually both wood and yellow are bad weaknesses. They do it better in recent comics and the movie by saying it's the yellow power of fear, as personified by Parallax. However the movie goes on to ruin it by making Parallax a giant turd surrounded by a pee cloud, but that's irrelevant. I want to see more of this show.

I just have one major reservation. Was the product placement done ironically, or is this the latest money-raising idea for The Escapist?

If it's the latter, then it's really bad indeed. Even paying for the Publisher's Club won't get you out of seeing ads, which is liable to discourage subscriptions.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Uhm, well it's one of the better new things to come out in a while (discounting stuff from the LRR crew). I can see it going places, so lets hope it doesn't fade into obscurity 3 weeks in. Looking at you Creature Caster Masters!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it was rather entertaining. I'll definitely give it another go next week.

As for what I was expecting, I was thinking it might be more of a random question to people on the street thing. I could definitely see humour in going up to a random person and asking which is better Yellow or Wood. Though I suppose that would be more of a one off thing than a recurring show idea. heh

Spygon

May 16, 2009
i wasnt sure but as it got going i started to really enjoy it.Nice idea with a little bit of polish it could be really good

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I never understood the weakness of yellow I mean to make green you need yellow. so he is made of his own weakness.
not bad for a first episode.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Hitman Dread said:
First I have to say
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-JVvCrGC8

Wow that was great hahaha. I laughed so hard at I have wood! I have wood everywhere! Great idea for a show and I'm looking forward to seeing it continue.

Also go ahead and plug Jones soda. It's okay to plug amazing products.
That only raises the question, why didn't he go ape shit after he revealed the gun was wood?

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Uhm... I'd like to make a point here, you both seem to be arguing entirely different points, (for the most part) with the guy advocating wood saying that it's a more desirable weakness to have if you had to choose, and the guy advocating yellow saying it's a more logical thing for that power in particular to be weak to, you're both right and thus most of the discussion is rendered rather moot... mildly entertaining but still moot.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Good show. The only thing I would say is to either look at the camera 100% of the time or completely ignore it, preferably the later. Also, Woodman vs Green Lantern would be pretty epic.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
leviadragon99 said:
Uhm... I'd like to make a point here, you both seem to be arguing entirely different points, (for the most part) with the guy advocating wood saying that it's a more desirable weakness to have if you had to choose, and the guy advocating yellow saying it's a more logical thing for that power in particular to be weak to, you're both right and thus most of the discussion is rendered rather moot... mildly entertaining but still moot.
That's why there's "No Right Answer".

I'm also curious whether you had Jones Soda because you really like it, or if they're a sponsor. If they are a sponsor, then that's really cool, but it would be nice to know.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
*first thought* Oh, great. 2 more videos to push Zero Punctuation off the front page center.
*second thought after watching* Well, at least this is better than Feed Dump. I guess there will be "Thinking Thursdays" on the Escapist with this show and Extra Credits.

Lonely Swordsman

Jun 29, 2009
The wood weakness makes more sense than the yellow weakness, to me anyway. Alan Scott's ring was made by a wizard in ancient times, the wood weakness was a deliberate failsafe to stop the owner of the ring from abusing his power. Anybody with a wooden club could take him down. It's simple and pragmatic and it makes sense.

The yellow weakness is supposed to be psychological since yellow is the color of fear, but the psychological of colors is cultural, so it's not gonna work for every culture (for example the meaning of black and white as colors of death and purity respectively is reversed in most Asian cultures) and the modern GL corps is made up of all kinds of alien races, presumably all with entirely different psychological perception of colors due to everyone's unique heritage.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Hm, no real quarrels with the new series, but it reminds me of a show we had going a few months back. It was the same idea, just a versus of two ideas, and it got like five episodes.

IMO, I don't see this one lasting too long.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I don't even care about comics and even I am angry that people keep acting as if the color yellow made the Green Lantern weak. It's not kryptonite, their powers just don't work on it. If you tried to stand up to Hal Jordan in your Kill Bill costume or your Bananas in Pajamas cosplay, he would just beat the crap out of you on account of being a fighter pilot, and therefore not only on excellent physical condition but also a trained and high-ranked member of the Air Force. In fact, considering for how long Hal was the Green, I'd say it's statistically certain he did it at one point (silver age = anything you can think of happened, statistically).

Great video, though.