No Right Answer: Worst Comic Book Death Ever

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
K84 said:
Jean Grey should win this one.
She actually dies everytime, drama follows, and comes back.
And don't tell me Hope Summers is not in some way a reincarnation of Jean Grey...
But her deaths are just gimmicks.
Even if Hope is nothing more than a reincarnation of Jean Grey, I have to give Marvel credit for leaving her dead a lot longer than most first string comic book characters stay dead.

Scrimshaw13

Jun 21, 2011
why didn't they choose Final Crisis for the death of batman, or Batman RIP, or both, which is not only when batman actually "died" but is the source of the image they use in the title for this video.

Scrimshaw13

Jun 21, 2011
zombflux said:
Why are they "comparing" the "Death" of "Superman" to Knightfall? They decided Knightfall was the worst "death" because he doesn't "actually" "die" but Batman "actually" "does" "die" in 52, so why not "compare" it to "that"?
He doesn't actually "die" per say, and its in Final Crisis, but I'm with you on this one.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Vivi22 said:
K84 said:
And don't tell me Hope Summers is not in some way a reincarnation of Jean Grey...
Even if Hope is nothing more than a reincarnation of Jean Grey, I have to give Marvel credit for leaving her dead a lot longer than most first string comic book characters stay dead.
Remember that old saying regarding comic book death?
"The only people who stay dead in comics, are Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben.

Bucky = Winter Soldier again? (not reading much Cap anymore)
Jason Todd = Red Hood ( again, new 52 is meh)
Uncle Ben = damn fine rice, but still the only one who's still dead.

So i'd rather credit Marvel for Uncle Ben.
Marvel has said Jean Grey is returning, so...meh...

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
K84 said:

Fair enough. Certainly one of the longer modern deaths though.

And I personally wouldn't count a time travelling past version of Jean as bringing her back (more like forward. Oh terrible puns...). Have to wait and see if she actually gets resurrected (again) sometime.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Rogue 09 said:
These guys suck at debate. How do they still have a show?
Because the majority of people here obviously disagree with your opinion.

K84 said:
Vivi22 said:
K84 said:

Don't forget Gwen Stacy, and Captain Mar-vell who has been dead since the 80's (I'm am not counting any of the time traveling)

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
empirialtank said:
Thought the worst comic book death was actually Snowflame. So much wasted potential.
The one shot super villain powered by cocaine? Yeah, I see potential there.

There should be a version of the Super Friends, but with heroes who have powers that require drug use and luxury sedans. It'd basically just be the Super Friends, but it would make the stupidity and made up powers diagetic.

"What do you mean you can't fly, Flash? I saw you do it last week."
*Staring at his hands* "Am I moving fast or is everyone else just moving slow."

Snowflame would be their leader, of course.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
The Human Torch said:
Shotgun Guy said:
I think Captain America gets the worst death, at first it seemed really promising, he's killed abruptly after failing to secure continued freedoms for super humans, the shock wave of his death is felt throughout the world, the man he was opposing, Iron Man, falls out of favor leaving a huge gap to be filled. In the absence of having someone as iconic as Captain America, the nation turns to a madman to become the head of the Avengers and the national defense force overall, simply because he got a lucky shot in during an invasion.

Then they needlessly bring him back, saying that the gun he was shot with was actually some kinda time travel device or something moronic like that and he's stuck inside his past self until he can break free from his previous memories. The story was horrid and he obviously should have been left dead. I love the character but I think killing him sent a really strong message, leaving him dead would have made the universe seem a bit more real, more uneasy, if you can kill Captain America than you can kill anybody (except Spider-Man and Wolverine, of course).
THANK YOU!

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read the comic where Captain America is brought back. I liked having him dead, because (in my opinion), the comics that followed his death were much more realistic and of a far greater quality than what followed his resurrection.

I stopped reading comics after the Fear Itself event, they have just gotten so dumb and it's not worth the money anymore.

Heck, I am befriending you right now, for saying that Captain America should remain dead. You also get 10 internets from me.
Dark Reign (post-death) was a very good story arc. I guess Marvel just got too uncomfortable with the status quo, I think some of the old fans were bitching about the changes and so The Siege story-line was effectively wasted on returning Marvel to its heroic age. The heroes constantly being on top with no threat is boring, the New Avengers were at their absolute best when they were striking out from the shadows and not nearly strong enough to challenge their enemies. They reverted too fast, there was a lot more to do with that grimmer setting. I kinda blame it on the movies, Marvel keeps adjusting the comics to fit closer to the films, I guess they are just trying to pick up new fans who saw the film and want to read the comics but this practice is a giant middle finger to people who have actually read the comics all along. I definitely understand why you jumped ship after Fear Itself, that event was really bland and way too massive in scope.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Shotgun Guy said:
Dark Reign (post-death) was a very good story arc. I guess Marvel just got too uncomfortable with the status quo, I think some of the old fans were bitching about the changes and so The Siege story-line was effectively wasted on returning Marvel to its heroic age. The heroes constantly being on top with no threat is boring, the New Avengers were at their absolute best when they were striking out from the shadows and not nearly strong enough to challenge their enemies. They reverted too fast, there was a lot more to do with that grimmer setting. I kinda blame it on the movies, Marvel keeps adjusting the comics to fit closer to the films, I guess they are just trying to pick up new fans who saw the film and want to read the comics but this practice is a giant middle finger to people who have actually read the comics all along. I definitely understand why you jumped ship after Fear Itself, that event was really bland and way too massive in scope.
The New Avengers were fantastic as an underground superhero team, trying to desperately survive against the Hood and his band of super-villains. It all worked, I liked the fresh team with (relatively) unused characters as the Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman and Mockingbird.

Fear Itself tried to be massive and dramatic, but it just shot itself in the foot. Thor's death was completely lackluster because Thor died and was resurrected not even a year before Fear Itself and in one of the first episodes, it was said that Thor had to die to kill the Serpent. Way to ruin the (underwelming) surprise.

It also completely undermined the drama of Asgard being destroyed and the Asgardians being stuck on Midgard, since Odin just takes everybody back over a rainbow bridge and into a new Asgard that he creates by just snapping his fingers. To me it always seems like comic-book writers do their best to completely ruin the work of previous writers.

Ben Grimm almost dies from having Thor's hammer thrown right through him, but Franklin pops up and heals him with awesome power that his dad says that he shouldn't use.
When I read that, I was like: "but why don't you use Franklin to stop the DESTRUCTION OF THE PLANET AND IT'S PEOPLE!".
No, instead we have to sacrifice half the planet's populace because Tony Stark has to make magic weapons in Odin's forge. Complete and utter bullshit.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I disagree that the death of Superman didn't have an iconic image. After all, it has this:

However, I agree with some people here that consider the death of Captain America the worst...

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
The Human Torch said:
The New Avengers were fantastic as an underground superhero team, trying to desperately survive against the Hood and his band of super-villains. It all worked, I liked the fresh team with (relatively) unused characters as the Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman and Mockingbird.

Fear Itself tried to be massive and dramatic, but it just shot itself in the foot. Thor's death was completely lackluster because Thor died and was resurrected not even a year before Fear Itself and in one of the first episodes, it was said that Thor had to die to kill the Serpent. Way to ruin the (underwelming) surprise.

It also completely undermined the drama of Asgard being destroyed and the Asgardians being stuck on Midgard, since Odin just takes everybody back over a rainbow bridge and into a new Asgard that he creates by just snapping his fingers. To me it always seems like comic-book writers do their best to completely ruin the work of previous writers.

Ben Grimm almost dies from having Thor's hammer thrown right through him, but Franklin pops up and heals him with awesome power that his dad says that he shouldn't use.
When I read that, I was like: "but why don't you use Franklin to stop the DESTRUCTION OF THE PLANET AND IT'S PEOPLE!".
No, instead we have to sacrifice half the planet's populace because Tony Stark has to make magic weapons in Odin's forge. Complete and utter bullshit.
I've been more focused on the cosmic books recently just to separate myself from the current workings of Marvel and the regular Earth heroes. I'd never read them and realize how huge of a mistake that was, Guardians of the Galaxy is a friggin awesome team. Of course Marvel has no current cosmic stories going on, except for possibly in Avengers Assemble but that book was created simply and totally because of the Avengers movie, so I'm trying to ignore it and hoping they don't completely trash Thanos as a character in it.

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
Scrimshaw13 said:
zombflux said:
Why are they "comparing" the "Death" of "Superman" to Knightfall? They decided Knightfall was the worst "death" because he doesn't "actually" "die" but Batman "actually" "does" "die" in 52, so why not "compare" it to "that"?
He doesn't actually "die" per say, and its in Final Crisis, but I'm with you on this one.
Ah right you are. The covers always have me confused.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
So... Wait...
You included Batman getting his back broken in this, because it was 'like a death', but in the end decided Superman's death was better because it was actually a death?
What?