No Right Answer: Worst Comic Book Death Ever

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Thor's most recent death(how many times has he died now?) was pretty stupid and barely worth the effort.

Batman's "death" was also dumb, although it did lead to Nightwing becoming Batman and that turned out pretty well so that kinda balances out.

Captain America's "death" was like Bat's, expect he got replaced by the guy with the worst sidekick name ever.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
So you choose a character who didn't die and then decide his death was the worst because he wasn't as dead as the other one? :D

Fun episode though

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
I actually liked Knightfall... it built up the events that deposed Batman for a time and didn't actually kill him so it was less ludicrous when he returned, plus it spend enough time on him putting himself back together and showing how his successor bollocksed things up that it felt credible that he could and needed to return.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I think Captain America gets the worst death, at first it seemed really promising, he's killed abruptly after failing to secure continued freedoms for super humans, the shock wave of his death is felt throughout the world, the man he was opposing, Iron Man, falls out of favor leaving a huge gap to be filled. In the absence of having someone as iconic as Captain America, the nation turns to a madman to become the head of the Avengers and the national defense force overall, simply because he got a lucky shot in during an invasion.

Then they needlessly bring him back, saying that the gun he was shot with was actually some kinda time travel device or something moronic like that and he's stuck inside his past self until he can break free from his previous memories. The story was horrid and he obviously should have been left dead. I love the character but I think killing him sent a really strong message, leaving him dead would have made the universe seem a bit more real, more uneasy, if you can kill Captain America than you can kill anybody (except Spider-Man and Wolverine, of course).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, I mean I don't read comic books, but wasn't the Death of Superman meant to tie into the death of one of DC's, and Superman's in particular, head writers?

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Oh, how about all the characters that have been killed off in Marvel's recent big events solely for the reason that Marvel seems to think it can't be a big event if someone doesn't die.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
K84 said:
Jean Grey should win this one.
She actually dies everytime, drama follows, and comes back.
And don't tell me Hope Summers is not in some way a reincarnation of Jean Grey...
But her deaths are just gimmicks.
Should have gone with one of her 11 deaths in one comic. It took place over two pages in the comic.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Everyone misses the point of Doomsday (at least, the original point, until he was returning every five issues...). Doomsday was the villain Superman had to punch... because there was no other way to defeat him. There was nothing intelligent Superman could do against him, because Doomsday would smash through it. Doomsday was the one creature Superman had to physically fight, no taunts, no tricks, nothing...

Oh, and a big point you missed about both deaths... they were always leading up to #500 (of two different comics, but #500 nonetheless).

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I don't oppose you comparing Superman's Death with Batman's for worst, but WHY did you pick "Knightfall" when Batman doesn't die, but is merely out of commission for a short amount of time? If you want to go with his death, Bruce Wayne/Batman dies at the hands of Dark Seid in Final Crisis' "Batman RIP." Not only is that the true death of Batman, it is still worse than Superman's because they still brought Bruce back in the most convoluted ways possible, rather than let Dick Grayson keep the cowl in his stead, and let the legacy of Batman move on. This argument is a total fail for not even using a real death-story for Batman. Shame.

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
I read Death of Superman, and absolutely loved it purely on the basis that Superman dies. I really hate him.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
kiri2tsubasa said:
Lian Harper. Cry for Justice pissed me off so much.
Thank you. Apparently she doesn't exist in the reboot either. In fact it seems that entire Titans team doesn't exist in the reboot.

I don't think I'm liking the reboot.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
The pointless, totally against character way DC killed Big Barda and the rest of The New Gods. One of the reasons I no longer read comics.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I think Bane's orignal name was "El Asso Wipo". DC changed it to "Bane" for obvious reasons. Breaking things over his knee was very important to him. BATSNAP!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
citrusfr00t said:
I think all comic book deaths are lame, because of the fact that they always come back, it just gets redundant after awhile...

except for the Ultimate Universe, where spiderman actually died and it was flippen awesome.
Last time I checked Ted Kord was still dead. Even when he came back he died again.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'm not huge into comics, but a friend of mine who goes by the name of PKB tells me that in one story, Superman literally grabs the fabric of reality and moves the entire frickin' galaxy....

Yeah, if that's true, fuck Superman. There's being a deus ex machina character and then there's just straight up bullllllllllllllllllllllllshit.