No Right Answer: Worst Father Ever

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
How in the world can anyone say Goku is a worse father than Ozai?

You've got "I scarred my child for life and banished him from my prescence" vs. "I left".

All you people voting for Goku, would you really rather have Ozai as a father? Goku was always kind and encouraging to his son, and Ozai was willing to sacrifice him. Come on, how does there even a debate?

Gohan DID wind up being a scholar, he only had Gohan fighting when the earth was in imminent danger, the rest of the time he got him to study. Goku saved Gohan's life numerous times, trained him to be even stronger than even HE (Goku) was for a time, and was always nice to pretty much everybody.

Versus the guy who'd kill everyone if it meant glory for him. Come on people, wake up here, this is night and day.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
The worst Goku has is neglect.

Ozai is straight up abuse.

Abuse>Neglect.

Also, Avatar ain't Japanese. Not anime. Not like it matters, though.

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
The guy who isn't Goku, solely because Goku was willing to stay dead so that he wouldn't put his family and friends in danger. That and I don't really like much anime.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Firefilm said:
Worst Father Ever

The boys force Dan to edit an episode all about Anime. This has resulted in Dan refusing to pick a winner. Go on our twitter, post on our boards, and mail us seductive pictures to choose the winner on this week's debate between Ozai and Goku for worst father ever.

Watch Video
I guess they didn't go with Gendo Ikari (from Neon Genesis Evangelion) because it would have made too short of a show. The mere mentioning of his name would be enough to bestow the title 'Worst Father Ever'.
Out of the two, I'd have to say that Ozai was the worst. Not only did he fuck up his son's face and disown him for a mere disagreement, but I'm pretty sure he was instrumental in turning his daughter (Azula) into a mega-crazy psycho-*****.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
People keep talking only about how Ozai was a terrible father to his son. Are you forgetting Azula? That little, bloodthirsty, psychotic girl he emotionally manipulated for most of her life into his most loyal servant only to throw her away when the time suited him? Azula was everything her father made her to be. Zuko suffered his neglect and physical abuse. Azula suffered his attentions, and that turned out just as bad.

Oh yeah, I vote for Ozai.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Goku.

Ozai is a douche, but at least he's an unapologetic douche. Goku is all "goodly" and "superhero" and shit, but all that goody-two-shoes crap only contrasts his neglect of his family.

Also, I'm pretty sure there was more to the whole face burning thing than just his kid pointing out a bad strategy. Yeah, the punishment was excessive, but his son was kind of a dick too...

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
Rarhnor said:
Goku is definitely the worst father.

Ozai, while incredibly mean and downright evil to his own son, takes care of his other child Azula. Sure, Ozai is a bad father to Zuko, but not to Azula whom gets pandering and encouragement from him.
By takes care of, I assume you mean "drove insane." Because, by the end, that's exactly what she is. Crazy as hell, and I have a feeling firelord Ozai is to blame for that by pushing her to be perfect all the time while being cold, distant, callous, and an all-around terrible person maddened by the quest for power.

It'd be like having Kim Jong Eil (don't honestly know how to spell the name), the dictator of North Korea, as a father vs. having... I don't know, Bill Clinton as a father. I know Goku wasn't a philanderer, but the wayward aloofness of Clinton seems to be an adequate comparison and contrasts nicely with the blood-curdling insanity of Kim Jong.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Ozai is a worse person, but Goku is definitely the worst father. Ozai is abusive and violent, but he's only following the Fire Nation (feudal Japan) mold that fathers must have complete control of their children and are justified in using any means to discipline them. Besides, if Zuko's early memories are to be believed, he and his father had some good times before he turned into a power-mad psycho. On top of that- what do you expect from a genocidal megalomaniac? Hell, Zuko's just lucky he wasn't worse off, Goku doesn't have any excuse.

If Ozai is a strict disciplinarian that demands respect from his children to the point of abuse, and will lead to resentment in his children, then Goku is the father that takes grudging responsibility for his fatherhood but doesn't want his new demands to interfere with his comfortable bachelorhood and old hobbies, so he lets his kids eat a can frosting for dinner just to keep them quiet.

Sep 30, 2010
I'm usually with Chris but I have to say Ozai. No contest.
Furbyz said:
People keep talking only about how Ozai was a terrible father to his son. Are you forgetting Azula? That little, bloodthirsty, psychotic girl he emotionally manipulated for most of her life into his most loyal servant only to throw her away when the time suited him? Azula was everything her father made her to be. Zuko suffered his neglect and physical abuse. Azula suffered his attentions, and that turned out just as bad.
This is a perfect example of why Goku is the better father and Ozai deserves the title of worst father ever.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
hmmm... Ozai is worse.

Goku is a really bad father. And Goku wasn't the one who forced Gohan into fighting (initially); That would have been Piccolo, who killed Goku and kidnapped Gohan. I think Gohan underwent some Stockholm Syndrome and became attached to Piccolo. After the Vegeta battle and Gohan and Krillin went off to Namek, Goku was in the hospital and Gohan volunteered. After the Frieza battle Goku could have been transported back to Earth, but refused because he wanted to train with aliens. It wasn't until Trunks came with his warning that Goku started to train Gohan. that said, when Goku does appear to save the day, the first person he goes to is Gohan; Goku saved gohan from Nappa's foot and when Goku arrived on Namek, the first person he gave a senzu bean to was Gohan. Goku goes to Gohan before going to Krillin (his best friend). It is clear that Goku actually cares for Gohan. And some of the decisions Goku makes aren't his fault. He is technically retarded due to severe head trauma he suffered as a baby that re-wrote his personality.

Ozai is evil and as a father to Zuko is pretty messed up. Burned his son for calling him out on a really bad battle strategy. Banished his son to go on a wild goose chase and basically told his son to never come home. However Ozai's relationship with Azula seemed very fitting for two insane evil people. She was his pride and joy (as far as his children go) and it showed. He even left her to be Fire Lord, and to our knowledge, perhaps the only female fire lord. All in all, Ozai was more concerned with pleasing himself and boosting his ego than being a decent father to his children.

It should be said however that both Gohan and Zuko turned out to be outstanding members of society.

Eabus

Poker of Badgers
Apr 15, 2009
1. Anime is from Japan, avatar is not from Japan so it is anime-ish
2. Im thinking in anime, the worst father is the Emperor from Code Geass.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Firefilm said:
Worst Father Ever

The boys force Dan to edit an episode all about Anime.

Watch Video
Poor Avatar The Last Airbender- Anime haters refuse to watch it because it's "too anime" while hard core Anime freaks refuse to acknowledge it because "it's not anime enough." Can't we just let it be itself? It's too good of a show to be callously pigeon-holed like that.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Jecht from Final Fantasy X.

He acts like a dick to Tidus (which is probably why he ends up like a whining baby), does care for him, and leaves him with a total stranger to look after him. Not to mention he becomes the villan (though he probably had no idea of knowing it).

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Dreiko said:
A lot of people here don't seem to get what dragonball is going for, what it means to be a Saiyan, how it fits within Japanese culture and a bunch of other things of that sort.

In that fictional anime story which is not about things existing in reality and should not be judged as though it were, fighting is fun, challenging strong opponents is exciting and pain or "abuse" is just something to shrug like a man and move onwards despite of. Goku is a perfect father for that fictional reality, to judge him on a reality without planet-destroying-aliens attacking at every second is beyond unfair.
Forgot to say this, isn't Dragon Ball based around Samuri traditions *why there aren't any Female saiyans* because the whole thing is equated to it. Seriously, the only thing I don't approve of is him dying to go train when there were other options, like, I don't know, GUNS FOR GODS SAKE!

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Say what you like about Ozai, at least it only took him an episode to get something done. Can you imagine a little kid trying to play catch with Goku?

"I'm throwing a ball at you, son. Can you see the ball? It's coming. I will eventually throw it. You just watch. Here comes the ball. This will be the fastest ball I've ever thrown. Are you ready for this? The ball is coming. Watch, here comes the ball. Ready? Okay. I am throwing a ball now. Get ready to catch it. Here comes the ball..."

And so on for three cunting episodes. The kid would have his college degree by the time Goku even does anything. God help you if you weren't into catch either. Playing chess with Goku must be like trying to play twenty questions with an alzheimers patient. A thousand suns will be born and then die again before he even moves his pawn.

Speaking of which, how did Goku even end up with a kid? Can you imagine him having sex? (there's probably a deviant art page devoted to that).

"The blood is rushing to my penis! It is beginning to become erect. Are you ready? Because I will soon have an erection for sexing. My penis is getting harder as we speak..."

His wife can probably squeeze in a few extramarital affairs while Father Time over there is still grappling with his belt buckle.

Somebody take Goku's kids away from him for their own good.

I'm not a fan of Dragonball Z. You can tell, can't you?