No Right Answer: Worst Pre-Order Sin Ever

Firefilm

New member
May 27, 2011
1,801
0
0
Worst Pre-Order Sin Ever

Destiny offers Beta access if we pre-order, but is that a good thing or a slap in the face? Meanwhile, we're giving away a Destiny Beta code!

Watch Video
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
...Good lord. Destiny codes almost coming out the wazoo lately.

God show and cameos.
 

Tono Makt

New member
Mar 24, 2012
537
0
0
I have this vision of someone getting onto a Skype with Yahtzee just as he's about to leave to do something "Grown Up", they ask him "Can you read this script for a -" and Yahtzee just looks at his phone going "No.". Then NRA going "We gotta work with what we got." and uses it perfectly.

Until Yahtzee realizes what's happened and suddenly all the Imps have Kyle and Dan's faces in inappropriate locations for the foreseeable future.
 

tzimize

New member
Mar 1, 2010
2,391
0
0
Fuck destiny I wouldnt want the code if you gave it to me. What I DO want is more crossover content. Yay for guests on the show! ^^
 

Kerethos

New member
Jun 19, 2013
250
0
0
Good episode, and good use of the cameos.

I might play Destiny - if it turns out to be good - but I have no interest in playing the beta. Why risk spoiling your view of the game on a version that's still in development, or risk getting tired of it before it's even done?
 

SilverUchiha

New member
Dec 25, 2008
1,604
0
0
While I don't disagree that Catwoman thing was stupid, I want to point out an inaccuracy with the information.

The Catwoman content in Batman: Arkham City was no pre-order exclusive (if I recall correctly). It was content only available to NEW copies of the game, and not used. You could pay for that content separately if you bought used, but unless the prices of the game was low enough for you to break even, you were getting ripped off. Again, I could possibly be wrong, but I thought that was the original issue at hand and that it wasn't just pre-order specific.
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,760
0
0
*reads "trying to recap huge cost of rendering women?"*

*dies laughing*

Gun skins are my favourite kind of pre-order bonus, because I usually couldn't give a crap whether or not I have them. I mean, unless it turns into a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning....

SilverUchiha said:
While I don't disagree that Catwoman thing was stupid, I want to point out an inaccuracy with the information.

The Catwoman content in Batman: Arkham City was no pre-order exclusive (if I recall correctly). It was content only available to NEW copies of the game, and not used. You could pay for that content separately if you bought used, but unless the prices of the game was low enough for you to break even, you were getting ripped off. Again, I could possibly be wrong, but I thought that was the original issue at hand and that it wasn't just pre-order specific.
This is absolutely correct, though I think there was confusion at the time it was announced, so they may simply have mis-remembered the information.

It was also heavily unclear as to whether digital versions of the game came with it included, like most "new only stuff." Because sometimes those online passes don't come free with the games.
 
Sep 24, 2008
2,415
0
0
I know this whole thing is about pre-order bonuses, but I'm now considering a Season Pass to be a Pre-order 'bonus'. It's basically saying hey, we gutted this game, but if you sign up now, you can get the rest for a cheaper deal! Here's the one part about season passes I really dislike, and it somewhat takes both sides of the argument.

Sometimes, it just becomes about beating a dead horse with a stick.

Borderlands 2. A Game that I loved. A game that I have two hundred hours logged. I played the ever loving stuff out of that game. I dug it. It was for me. Then low and behold, a season pass? Sure! Give me all you got!

Then the season pass content was a bit... lackluster. A lot of it felt sparse and underpopulated compared to the main game. Captain Scarlet and her Pirate Booty felt a bit hallow. It took an obviously enjoyable game and, in my point of view, slowly made it lifeless. Because 'Hey, sexual innuendo' and 'hey... not really new guns, but new skins and the damage is amped up!' really doesn't capture the need of 'I want to fucking save these people from this asshole' drive I had in the main campaign.

-sidebar. If any game needed a mortality system, it was Borderlands 2. I hate Handsome Jack with a passion. I realize I'm probably literally the only person who does. I think a lot of people would have ended up wanting to join Handsome Jack because he was 'funny'. It already was an open world game, why not let the player choose sides?
 

youji itami

New member
Jun 1, 2014
231
0
0
Question can't you cancel pre-orders? so pre-order Destiny play the Beta and if you don't like it cancel the pre-order.
 

Groverfield

New member
Jul 4, 2011
119
0
0
What about the whole Capcom "We already have the better version of the game we're releasing made, but you have to buy the inferior version and wait till we sell enough copies of the inferior game before we release the better version." or "there wasn't enough twitter hype about a game that we hardly even announced that we were considering, so we're not gonna make it. What about Sega of America's "We're going to localize PSO2 to the US, it should take us a month or two longer than expected. Full english translation and servers ready for a year, let's not say anything and shut down the servers to its predecessors."

Yes, I know that has nothing to do with preordering. It's still crap.
 

step1999

New member
Mar 11, 2010
91
0
0
ObsidianJones said:
I know this whole thing is about pre-order bonuses, but I'm now considering a Season Pass to be a Pre-order 'bonus'. It's basically saying hey, we gutted this game, but if you sign up now, you can get the rest for a cheaper deal! Here's the one part about season passes I really dislike, and it somewhat takes both sides of the argument.

Sometimes, it just becomes about beating a dead horse with a stick.

Borderlands 2. A Game that I loved. A game that I have two hundred hours logged. I played the ever loving stuff out of that game. I dug it. It was for me. Then low and behold, a season pass? Sure! Give me all you got!

Then the season pass content was a bit... lackluster. A lot of it felt sparse and underpopulated compared to the main game. Captain Scarlet and her Pirate Booty felt a bit hallow. It took an obviously enjoyable game and, in my point of view, slowly made it lifeless. Because 'Hey, sexual innuendo' and 'hey... not really new guns, but new skins and the damage is amped up!' really doesn't capture the need of 'I want to fucking save these people from this asshole' drive I had in the main campaign.

-sidebar. If any game needed a mortality system, it was Borderlands 2. I hate Handsome Jack with a passion. I realize I'm probably literally the only person who does. I think a lot of people would have ended up wanting to join Handsome Jack because he was 'funny'. It already was an open world game, why not let the player choose sides?
I hate season passes and dlc most of the time, but I am currently playing the bl2 dlc (have beat torgue and capt. scarlett) and love it. I don't really see what your problem with it was.
 

lastjustice

New member
Jun 29, 2004
132
0
0
I don't want the code. It is not my "Destiny" to beta test it heh. Yeah this week's video reminded me of this.... http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=331

I was thinking to myself playing Soul Calibur 5. Like I remember when I just had go thru all different modes and fight a ton of stuff to unlock any extra characters and extra outfits and weapons. Now....go buy any special outfits from the online store. I liked it better when playing the game was it's own reward. Not having my credit card be the skeleton key to cool stuff.
 

Delock

New member
Mar 4, 2009
1,085
0
0
Groverfield said:
What about the whole Capcom "We already have the better version of the game we're releasing made, but you have to buy the inferior version and wait till we sell enough copies of the inferior game before we release the better version." or "there wasn't enough twitter hype about a game that we hardly even announced that we were considering, so we're not gonna make it. What about Sega of America's "We're going to localize PSO2 to the US, it should take us a month or two longer than expected. Full english translation and servers ready for a year, let's not say anything and shut down the servers to its predecessors."

Yes, I know that has nothing to do with preordering. It's still crap.
Closer to the mark would be Asura's Wrath, aka the game that the never told anyone was going to be the first entry in a series, and that's just me being generous and assuming Capcom did what they did because lack luster sales stopped that from branching out instead of purposefully selling me a $60 game with an unlockable a cliffhanger I had to shell out for DLC later to get a resolution to.

The fact that it all ended up getting released within the following months really makes me suspicious that it was cut from the main game (either as finished content for some of it or by a launch day cutoff point).

Seriously though, this was the game along with Aliens (which I didn't buy but made me so paranoid about my Metal Gear Rising preorder not measuring up to the demo) that caused me to stop preordering.

Meanwhile the Arkham Knight thing has gotten me to wait for complete editions for any game that announces any DLC before a game is done. I'd kind of had that policy since Borderlands 2, but now it's cemented.

If you announce DLC before a game's launch and especially if you're going to pull this game of exclusive preorder garbage I will wait till I can get the whole package for the price of the full game that it is at that point (given how side quests and unlockables in pretty much everything but open world games have disappeared these days).
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,063
150
48
I deserve it because, well, if the beta ends up being lame, who would deserve it more than a lame gamer?
 

sageoftruth

New member
Jan 29, 2010
3,417
0
0
lastjustice said:
I don't want the code. It is not my "Destiny" to beta test it heh. Yeah this week's video reminded me of this.... http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=331

I was thinking to myself playing Soul Calibur 5. Like I remember when I just had go thru all different modes and fight a ton of stuff to unlock any extra characters and extra outfits and weapons. Now....go buy any special outfits from the online store. I liked it better when playing the game was it's own reward. Not having my credit card be the skeleton key to cool stuff.
I would have been truly surprised if this thread didn't have someone willing to make a Destiny pun in it.
 

psychostudent

New member
Apr 7, 2012
4
0
0
How a bout store exludive items that you aren't able to use right away?

For Test Drive Unlimited 2 the pre-order bonus from Steam was a in game car, the Pagani Zonda tricolore. Which was cool. What was not cool was that it cost a million dollars and you need to grind your way to earn enough money to buy it in game! Even when it was my pre-order bonus!

I never was able to get enough money so I hacked my save file to give myself enough money to buy the damn car. Then the game had the audacity to accuse me of cheating because I didn't earn it!
 

Groverfield

New member
Jul 4, 2011
119
0
0
Also, Preorder the upcoming NES game, Metroid to get Samus's iconic Justin Bailey outfit. Isn't it iconic?
 

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
468
0
0
They should really give the code to me. That way I can sell it to someone else who actually wants it. I get money, they get the code. It's win-win!
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
Tono Makt said:
I have this vision of someone getting onto a Skype with Yahtzee just as he's about to leave to do something "Grown Up", they ask him "Can you read this script for a -" and Yahtzee just looks at his phone going "No.". Then NRA going "We gotta work with what we got." and uses it perfectly.

Until Yahtzee realizes what's happened and suddenly all the Imps have Kyle and Dan's faces in inappropriate locations for the foreseeable future.
Yes! Hear hear on the cameos! More cross-over content on the videos, please.
Zachary Amaranth said:
*reads "trying to recap huge cost of rendering women?"*

*dies laughing*

Gun skins are my favourite kind of pre-order bonus, because I usually couldn't give a crap whether or not I have them. I mean, unless it turns into a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning....

SilverUchiha said:
While I don't disagree that Catwoman thing was stupid, I want to point out an inaccuracy with the information.

The Catwoman content in Batman: Arkham City was no pre-order exclusive (if I recall correctly). It was content only available to NEW copies of the game, and not used. You could pay for that content separately if you bought used, but unless the prices of the game was low enough for you to break even, you were getting ripped off. Again, I could possibly be wrong, but I thought that was the original issue at hand and that it wasn't just pre-order specific.
This is absolutely correct, though I think there was confusion at the time it was announced, so they may simply have mis-remembered the information.
Wasn't the "shurikens and lighting" gun in Bulletstorm? I remember that game having a downloadable skin for a gun that made it look like it had tits and was on fire. And you're right about the Catwoman unlock code coming with new copies, not as a preorder-only thing.

OT: What gets my goat is the sheer number of EDITIONS a game has for preorder [glances on Ubisoft's direction] that vary by what extra missions/weapons/goodies you get IN the game and physical schwag you get with them, like mini-statues, flags, accessories, and toys. Like when I preordered Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker from Gamestop, I got an official MGS:pW bandana which I've used as part of my Snake costume that past 5 years, as well as a concept art book.
 

Johnson McGee

New member
Nov 16, 2009
516
0
0
Worst pre-order sin? How about the game just being shit but sold on lies like Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Captcha: "Yes definitely"

Quality concerns aside though... I would lean towards extra items (functional, not skins) because if you don't get it you feel like you're missing something but if you DO get it, they usually make the game so piss easy it's not even worth playing.
 

Stranger4You

New member
Sep 24, 2009
4
0
0
Well I'd say I deserve the Destiny beta code not for my self but for a buddy of mine who seems to be on the fence about it, would like him to give it a shot, especially since he's such a big fan of the Halo series. As for me I'll just wait and hope for a PC version.
 

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
838
0
0
So...pretty sure this qualifies as most one-sided victory ever?

3 to 99, ouch.
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,760
0
0
Darth_Payn said:
Wasn't the "shurikens and lighting" gun in Bulletstorm? I remember that game having a downloadable skin for a gun that made it look like it had tits and was on fire. And you're right about the Catwoman unlock code coming with new copies, not as a preorder-only thing.
Was it in Bulletsorm? I think the original game was Painkiller, but I wouldn't put it past Bulletstorm.

OT: What gets my goat is the sheer number of EDITIONS a game has for preorder [glances on Ubisoft's direction] that vary by what extra missions/weapons/goodies you get IN the game and physical schwag you get with them, like mini-statues, flags, accessories, and toys. Like when I preordered Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker from Gamestop, I got an official MGS:pW bandana which I've used as part of my Snake costume that past 5 years, as well as a concept art book.
Oh God, yes. The fact that we now need flowcharts, spreadsheets, and checklists to determine what we're getting in our pre-orders is freaking insane. I didn't mind multiple editions at first, but they seem to be multiplying like a wet Mogwai. And, I mean, for the most part I don't care--I don't really pre-order anymore--but I dislike the practice.

Not to mention, the pre-order push is part of the reason I don't pre-order anymore.
 

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
12,531
0
0
I still think the worse pre-order sin is actually during a game pre-order's aftermath when the game's already out...

Okay... So, let's pretend that you did not pre-order Game PO, despite the pre-order bonuses ranged from exclusive skins to story-related content, and just decide to just by the "vanilla" version of the game after the price was low enough to get it... (I mean, the reviews have been positive for the most part... Not too positive, per se, but enough to still make you go "I'll buy that game after the price is so low, it's like I'm buying it used on Amazon/E-bay"...) You boot up the game and as it boots up, it reminds you about those pre-order bonuses you missed out on by always checking to see if you've downloaded any DLC... Now, at first, this doesn't bother you... You can easily ignore it, since it doesn't even last long enough to dwell on that fact for even a good long second... However, as you're playing the "vanilla" version of the game, the game keeps hammering on about the content you DON'T have because that's all DLC-related... and the worse part about it is that these constant reminders about the lack of DLC you have all relate back to the pre-order bonuses that were exclusive to just being pre-order bonuses... You can't buy them separately for X amount of digital cash/bones, yet the game will keep pestering you about said bonuses in the form of DLC...

But wait... It gets even better! The GOTY-type version of Game PO, also, does not have those pre-order bonuses in the form of DLC... and the game will still reminds you about said bonuses since (surprise surprise) that was the true way of experiencing a game such as this... In other words, not only was content held away through a pre-order bonus, but legally you can't get said bonuses in order to have the "full experience" the game was suppose to have offer... and not even the GOTY-type version helps in this situation...

So, that's what I think is the worse pre-order sin, since it's something that not even the consumer can prevent from happening in the long run...
 

ExtraDebit

New member
Jul 16, 2011
533
0
0
I think everything Kyle said is correct too.

Just imagine instead of down R up L Y B to play 10star on street fighter 2 turbo you have to get it as a preorder.

Just imagine the blood in mortal kombat you can get only as a preorder.

Just imagine the master sword in zelda was a preorder bonus.

Just imagine the fire flower in super mario you can only get as a preorder.

Just imagine all that stuff CAN happen if you continue to support preorder.

p.s. keep the destiny code, I'm not buying the game, it looks like another uninteresting shooter.
 

Firefilm

New member
May 27, 2011
1,801
0
0
Shjade said:
So...pretty sure this qualifies as most one-sided victory ever?

3 to 99, ouch.
It's just...paintball mode! I KNOW that would have been a pre-order bonus of that game came out today. And it hurts so bad.
 

creamy5000

New member
Nov 23, 2009
29
0
0
Next show should be "Worst Free to play sin ever"... Eve $80 monocle or Mech Warrior Online $500 gold mech.
 

DementedSheep

New member
Jan 8, 2010
2,654
0
0
I think skins are fine as preorder bonuses. Sure they are easy to make and they aren't game changers but I don't think preorder bonus should be. I'm probably bias since I don't preorder so content that I don't particularly care about as a pre-order bonus is obviously going to sound better to me than something I really do want.
However they should put a bit more effort into a skin than literately just changing the colour of a gun where it looks like it could easily have been done in a few seconds with the tint slider. Make it cool looking skins that stand out.
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
There was no beating Kyle's final argument there. The fact that stuff like Paintball mode in Goldeneye would be DLC if that game were made today is fucking painful to think about.

Incidentally loved the cameos by Jim and Yatzee.
 

Firefilm

New member
May 27, 2011
1,801
0
0
I hate preorders just like any other sane consumer, but honestly, are they really so much different from buying games or movies the usual way?

It's still the same thing basically - we pay for something we hope we'll like but there's no guarantee whatsoever. No, reviews don't help. I've bought a ton of games which were reviewed well but which I hated; and another ton of games which were trashed but which I liked. Kane&Lynch is the most obvious example of the latter, also right now I'm playing The Bureau for example and I'm surprised how much I like it, considering how poorly it was received by everyone. A good $1 purchase would be a good $20 or $more purchase but of course I didn't buy it before, because I got burned too many times so now I only buy the old cheap stuff.

Anyway, while pre-order incentives are shitty practice especially if they hold a part of the game ransom, I'm beginning to feel that pre-ordering isn't that much different from the usual game purchase on or around launch dates.
 

Razorback0z

New member
Feb 10, 2009
363
0
0
Blue Ranger said:
Pre-orders can suck it. I'm tired of companies holding content hostage.
Exactly. The worst pre-order sin ever is pre-ordering, pure and simple.

Gamers have only themselves to blame for the unimaginative, franchise milking garbage they get fed because they continue to reward developers for not trying.

Oh and as for the BETA Key, please give it to someone with a short enough attention span to want to play this dross.
 

gamegod25

New member
Jul 10, 2008
863
0
0
I'd say the worst, at least in recent memory, was Watch Dogs. Oh you want this extra content well you have to buy from this place. Oh you want this but not that piece, too bad! Oh you want all the content, fuck you buy multiple copies you sheep!
 

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
3,078
0
0
Need to start a new campaign: "Only losers pre-order".

Course gaming media won't be against pre-orders because they get so much advertizing dollars from selling that garbage.
 

bug_of_war

New member
Nov 30, 2012
887
0
0
What is it with the content creators on this site hating on pre-order content, but always picking the worst examples to try and shove fear down everyone's throats. Use examples like Metro Last Light, Street Fighter 4 (and it's 50 "sequels") or Sims 4. Those games have terrible pre-order bonuses (or in the case for SF4, just terrible business practice in general) and deserve the hate!

If you're truly terrified about the possible repercussions of pre-order culture, than pick the right games to bash!
 

jdarksun

New member
Nov 3, 2003
87
0
0
I deserve the pre-order code because I have neither a PS4 nor XBox One, and will not be purchasing Destiny until a PC version is released. Hah! That would be sticking it to pre-order culture!

The Elder Scrolls Online had a thing where you could play any race, any faction if you pre-ordered. And then the Imperial Edition you got a horse. Which, I mean. Yay horse! But I wish they had stuck to their faction guns and not had that as a pre-order bonus.
 

Hivetyrant7

New member
Oct 28, 2013
9
0
0
I would pre-order the play at home "No right answer" game.

I pre-ordered Destiny knowing very little about it as getting into the details often spoils the end result for me.

Yes I know how dumb that sounds.
 

Flunk

New member
Feb 17, 2008
915
0
0
You both are totally wrong, the worst pre-order sin is not coming out for more than 10 years since they started taking pre-orders. What, you say that's never happened? Duke Nukem Forever, that is all.
 

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
11,597
0
0
I only pre ordered Saints Row 4, because I knew I'd like it. I did :)

Also you can keep the beta key.
 

DiMono

New member
Mar 18, 2010
837
0
0
I should get the preorder code because I don't have a PS4. The irony and meta that would be involved in giving me the code are both epic.
 

Eve Charm

New member
Aug 10, 2011
760
0
0
well the thing is on season passes, it doesn't even get you all the content anymore. You still had to buy the extra borderland character when it came out if you didn't preorder the game, even if you bought the pass.
 

Firefilm

New member
May 27, 2011
1,801
0
0
Congratulations to Eric Lyakhovetsky for winning the Destiny Beta code! Evidentially pre orders did some nasty things to his parents. So sad
 

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
838
0
0
Firefilm said:
Shjade said:
So...pretty sure this qualifies as most one-sided victory ever?

3 to 99, ouch.
It's just...paintball mode! I KNOW that would have been a pre-order bonus of that game came out today. And it hurts so bad.
Would it? I'm not so sure. Judging by, say, the Saints Row 3 or 4 model of DLC, paintball mode seems more like post-release DLC than pre-order material. Possibly a semantic difference, but considering the debate was about pre-order specific cash grabs and not all forms of DLC...I dunno, that hypothetical feels like it should've been invalid.

I definitely agree that kind of thing released today has a high likelihood of being some kind of microtransaction-gated content, but there's no way of knowing when it'd be made available. "It could be a pre-order bonus" isn't really the same as "It would be a pre-order bonus."

Still, even if it was just a (highly successful) pathos ploy, well played! ;p
 

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
838
0
0
This is what happens when I accidentally click "quote" instead of "edit" on a post. -.-
 

ShadowHand25

New member
Jul 12, 2010
103
0
0
I have no interest in Destiny whatsoever.

Which is exactly why I deserve a chance to play the beta; so I can understand what all the damn fuss is about.
 

Pantalaimon

New member
Apr 1, 2010
5
0
0
Give me a beta key so I finally have a reason to buy and own PC with less features... uh, console I mean.

With that out of the way...
On the topic of pre-order, I do not care about simple stuff, like a golden gun texture, in-game title, fancy mount and so on. If there are viable alternatives in-game (mount going the same speed, gun having the same stats) I do not care in the slightest.

I do however care if actual content that is an integral part of the experience is locked away (looking at you, Javik). In the ME case and EA's ill-concieved 10 dollar policy (RIP) it felt a little like being shaked down by a mafia thug

That said I am on the fence here when it comes to DLC in general, people who pre-order do take a risk, and there should be some reward for it and a (substantial) discount on a season pass or upcoming DLC is a viable option. However, I feel there is to much potential and acutal abuse going around that I would be disinclined to fall for that. Often it is just cheaper to wait for GOTY edition or a Steam Sale like with Borderlands 2.

In any case, cavet emptor, read previews from sites and magazines you trust. Only pre-order stuff you are certain you are going to like and do not fall for pre-order bribes.