No Right Answer: Worst Pre-Order Sin Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Worst Pre-Order Sin Ever

Destiny offers Beta access if we pre-order, but is that a good thing or a slap in the face? Meanwhile, we're giving away a Destiny Beta code!

Watch Video

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
...Good lord. Destiny codes almost coming out the wazoo lately.

God show and cameos.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
I have this vision of someone getting onto a Skype with Yahtzee just as he's about to leave to do something "Grown Up", they ask him "Can you read this script for a -" and Yahtzee just looks at his phone going "No.". Then NRA going "We gotta work with what we got." and uses it perfectly.

Until Yahtzee realizes what's happened and suddenly all the Imps have Kyle and Dan's faces in inappropriate locations for the foreseeable future.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Fuck destiny I wouldnt want the code if you gave it to me. What I DO want is more crossover content. Yay for guests on the show! ^^

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Good episode, and good use of the cameos.

I might play Destiny - if it turns out to be good - but I have no interest in playing the beta. Why risk spoiling your view of the game on a version that's still in development, or risk getting tired of it before it's even done?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
While I don't disagree that Catwoman thing was stupid, I want to point out an inaccuracy with the information.

The Catwoman content in Batman: Arkham City was no pre-order exclusive (if I recall correctly). It was content only available to NEW copies of the game, and not used. You could pay for that content separately if you bought used, but unless the prices of the game was low enough for you to break even, you were getting ripped off. Again, I could possibly be wrong, but I thought that was the original issue at hand and that it wasn't just pre-order specific.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
*reads "trying to recap huge cost of rendering women?"*

*dies laughing*

Gun skins are my favourite kind of pre-order bonus, because I usually couldn't give a crap whether or not I have them. I mean, unless it turns into a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning....

SilverUchiha said:
While I don't disagree that Catwoman thing was stupid, I want to point out an inaccuracy with the information.

The Catwoman content in Batman: Arkham City was no pre-order exclusive (if I recall correctly). It was content only available to NEW copies of the game, and not used. You could pay for that content separately if you bought used, but unless the prices of the game was low enough for you to break even, you were getting ripped off. Again, I could possibly be wrong, but I thought that was the original issue at hand and that it wasn't just pre-order specific.
This is absolutely correct, though I think there was confusion at the time it was announced, so they may simply have mis-remembered the information.

It was also heavily unclear as to whether digital versions of the game came with it included, like most "new only stuff." Because sometimes those online passes don't come free with the games.

Sep 24, 2008
I know this whole thing is about pre-order bonuses, but I'm now considering a Season Pass to be a Pre-order 'bonus'. It's basically saying hey, we gutted this game, but if you sign up now, you can get the rest for a cheaper deal! Here's the one part about season passes I really dislike, and it somewhat takes both sides of the argument.

Sometimes, it just becomes about beating a dead horse with a stick.

Borderlands 2. A Game that I loved. A game that I have two hundred hours logged. I played the ever loving stuff out of that game. I dug it. It was for me. Then low and behold, a season pass? Sure! Give me all you got!

Then the season pass content was a bit... lackluster. A lot of it felt sparse and underpopulated compared to the main game. Captain Scarlet and her Pirate Booty felt a bit hallow. It took an obviously enjoyable game and, in my point of view, slowly made it lifeless. Because 'Hey, sexual innuendo' and 'hey... not really new guns, but new skins and the damage is amped up!' really doesn't capture the need of 'I want to fucking save these people from this asshole' drive I had in the main campaign.

-sidebar. If any game needed a mortality system, it was Borderlands 2. I hate Handsome Jack with a passion. I realize I'm probably literally the only person who does. I think a lot of people would have ended up wanting to join Handsome Jack because he was 'funny'. It already was an open world game, why not let the player choose sides?

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Question can't you cancel pre-orders? so pre-order Destiny play the Beta and if you don't like it cancel the pre-order.

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
What about the whole Capcom "We already have the better version of the game we're releasing made, but you have to buy the inferior version and wait till we sell enough copies of the inferior game before we release the better version." or "there wasn't enough twitter hype about a game that we hardly even announced that we were considering, so we're not gonna make it. What about Sega of America's "We're going to localize PSO2 to the US, it should take us a month or two longer than expected. Full english translation and servers ready for a year, let's not say anything and shut down the servers to its predecessors."

Yes, I know that has nothing to do with preordering. It's still crap.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
I know this whole thing is about pre-order bonuses, but I'm now considering a Season Pass to be a Pre-order 'bonus'. It's basically saying hey, we gutted this game, but if you sign up now, you can get the rest for a cheaper deal! Here's the one part about season passes I really dislike, and it somewhat takes both sides of the argument.

Sometimes, it just becomes about beating a dead horse with a stick.

Borderlands 2. A Game that I loved. A game that I have two hundred hours logged. I played the ever loving stuff out of that game. I dug it. It was for me. Then low and behold, a season pass? Sure! Give me all you got!

Then the season pass content was a bit... lackluster. A lot of it felt sparse and underpopulated compared to the main game. Captain Scarlet and her Pirate Booty felt a bit hallow. It took an obviously enjoyable game and, in my point of view, slowly made it lifeless. Because 'Hey, sexual innuendo' and 'hey... not really new guns, but new skins and the damage is amped up!' really doesn't capture the need of 'I want to fucking save these people from this asshole' drive I had in the main campaign.

-sidebar. If any game needed a mortality system, it was Borderlands 2. I hate Handsome Jack with a passion. I realize I'm probably literally the only person who does. I think a lot of people would have ended up wanting to join Handsome Jack because he was 'funny'. It already was an open world game, why not let the player choose sides?
I hate season passes and dlc most of the time, but I am currently playing the bl2 dlc (have beat torgue and capt. scarlett) and love it. I don't really see what your problem with it was.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
I don't want the code. It is not my "Destiny" to beta test it heh. Yeah this week's video reminded me of this.... http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=331

I was thinking to myself playing Soul Calibur 5. Like I remember when I just had go thru all different modes and fight a ton of stuff to unlock any extra characters and extra outfits and weapons. Now....go buy any special outfits from the online store. I liked it better when playing the game was it's own reward. Not having my credit card be the skeleton key to cool stuff.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Groverfield said:
What about the whole Capcom "We already have the better version of the game we're releasing made, but you have to buy the inferior version and wait till we sell enough copies of the inferior game before we release the better version." or "there wasn't enough twitter hype about a game that we hardly even announced that we were considering, so we're not gonna make it. What about Sega of America's "We're going to localize PSO2 to the US, it should take us a month or two longer than expected. Full english translation and servers ready for a year, let's not say anything and shut down the servers to its predecessors."

Yes, I know that has nothing to do with preordering. It's still crap.
Closer to the mark would be Asura's Wrath, aka the game that the never told anyone was going to be the first entry in a series, and that's just me being generous and assuming Capcom did what they did because lack luster sales stopped that from branching out instead of purposefully selling me a $60 game with an unlockable a cliffhanger I had to shell out for DLC later to get a resolution to.

The fact that it all ended up getting released within the following months really makes me suspicious that it was cut from the main game (either as finished content for some of it or by a launch day cutoff point).

Seriously though, this was the game along with Aliens (which I didn't buy but made me so paranoid about my Metal Gear Rising preorder not measuring up to the demo) that caused me to stop preordering.

Meanwhile the Arkham Knight thing has gotten me to wait for complete editions for any game that announces any DLC before a game is done. I'd kind of had that policy since Borderlands 2, but now it's cemented.

If you announce DLC before a game's launch and especially if you're going to pull this game of exclusive preorder garbage I will wait till I can get the whole package for the price of the full game that it is at that point (given how side quests and unlockables in pretty much everything but open world games have disappeared these days).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I deserve it because, well, if the beta ends up being lame, who would deserve it more than a lame gamer?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
lastjustice said:
I don't want the code. It is not my "Destiny" to beta test it heh. Yeah this week's video reminded me of this.... http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=331

I was thinking to myself playing Soul Calibur 5. Like I remember when I just had go thru all different modes and fight a ton of stuff to unlock any extra characters and extra outfits and weapons. Now....go buy any special outfits from the online store. I liked it better when playing the game was it's own reward. Not having my credit card be the skeleton key to cool stuff.
I would have been truly surprised if this thread didn't have someone willing to make a Destiny pun in it.

psychostudent

Apr 7, 2012
How a bout store exludive items that you aren't able to use right away?

For Test Drive Unlimited 2 the pre-order bonus from Steam was a in game car, the Pagani Zonda tricolore. Which was cool. What was not cool was that it cost a million dollars and you need to grind your way to earn enough money to buy it in game! Even when it was my pre-order bonus!

I never was able to get enough money so I hacked my save file to give myself enough money to buy the damn car. Then the game had the audacity to accuse me of cheating because I didn't earn it!

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
Also, Preorder the upcoming NES game, Metroid to get Samus's iconic Justin Bailey outfit. Isn't it iconic?

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
They should really give the code to me. That way I can sell it to someone else who actually wants it. I get money, they get the code. It's win-win!