No Right Answer: Worst Pre-Order Sin Ever

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I only pre ordered Saints Row 4, because I knew I'd like it. I did :)

Also you can keep the beta key.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I should get the preorder code because I don't have a PS4. The irony and meta that would be involved in giving me the code are both epic.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
well the thing is on season passes, it doesn't even get you all the content anymore. You still had to buy the extra borderland character when it came out if you didn't preorder the game, even if you bought the pass.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Congratulations to Eric Lyakhovetsky for winning the Destiny Beta code! Evidentially pre orders did some nasty things to his parents. So sad

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Firefilm said:
Shjade said:
So...pretty sure this qualifies as most one-sided victory ever?

3 to 99, ouch.
It's just...paintball mode! I KNOW that would have been a pre-order bonus of that game came out today. And it hurts so bad.
Would it? I'm not so sure. Judging by, say, the Saints Row 3 or 4 model of DLC, paintball mode seems more like post-release DLC than pre-order material. Possibly a semantic difference, but considering the debate was about pre-order specific cash grabs and not all forms of DLC...I dunno, that hypothetical feels like it should've been invalid.

I definitely agree that kind of thing released today has a high likelihood of being some kind of microtransaction-gated content, but there's no way of knowing when it'd be made available. "It could be a pre-order bonus" isn't really the same as "It would be a pre-order bonus."

Still, even if it was just a (highly successful) pathos ploy, well played! ;p

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
This is what happens when I accidentally click "quote" instead of "edit" on a post. -.-

ShadowHand25

Jul 12, 2010
I have no interest in Destiny whatsoever.

Which is exactly why I deserve a chance to play the beta; so I can understand what all the damn fuss is about.

Pantalaimon

Apr 1, 2010
Give me a beta key so I finally have a reason to buy and own PC with less features... uh, console I mean.

With that out of the way...
On the topic of pre-order, I do not care about simple stuff, like a golden gun texture, in-game title, fancy mount and so on. If there are viable alternatives in-game (mount going the same speed, gun having the same stats) I do not care in the slightest.

I do however care if actual content that is an integral part of the experience is locked away (looking at you, Javik). In the ME case and EA's ill-concieved 10 dollar policy (RIP) it felt a little like being shaked down by a mafia thug

That said I am on the fence here when it comes to DLC in general, people who pre-order do take a risk, and there should be some reward for it and a (substantial) discount on a season pass or upcoming DLC is a viable option. However, I feel there is to much potential and acutal abuse going around that I would be disinclined to fall for that. Often it is just cheaper to wait for GOTY edition or a Steam Sale like with Borderlands 2.

In any case, cavet emptor, read previews from sites and magazines you trust. Only pre-order stuff you are certain you are going to like and do not fall for pre-order bribes.