No Right Answer: Worst Reality Show Ever

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
That was a great reality show! I loved the water level thingy to show how fake they are. Well made!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
So, in the sake of spoofing bad reality the spit take was faked.
Which means that Kyle won in real reality...

Because Pawn Stars is great escapism with interesting history stuff, and I like the family dynamic.

And let's be serious for a sec; MTV's Teen mother dreck is actually making that seem way more attractive than it is, actively making the world WAY worse for decades to come (think of the babies!).
If you don't believe me, Google it and check the Ars Technica article...

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
FightingFurball said:
Idea for next week:

'What is the best reality TV show?'
There are no good ones! They are all shit and the worst thing that has happened to entertainment in the history of the universe! I fucking LOATHE reality TV, it is the WORST, LAZIEST and absolutely DUMBEST thing mankind has EVER invented. FUCK reality TV.

OT: Cool "effect" on the episode. That drinking bit, even when making fun of reality tv had me almost start a seething rage.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Demagogue said:
I can't help but notice that once again Chris got an extra talking point... which put him in the lead... and Kyle drank like 3 glasses of water while Chris was going on during the drinking round. I realize that it was meant to be as an 'instant reply' shot (or at least I hope it was) but you can clearly see Kyle finishing the glass of water.
That was a purposeful jab at the obvious, manipulative, and terrible editing of bad reality TV.
Yep, it was a joke about reality shows padding scenes with the same clip in repetition. To be fair, if you didn't get it, then it wasn't the best joke.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Kaytastrophe said:
I'm sorry, I doubt your level of knowledge of terrible reality tv. Pawn stars while formulaic can show some interesting antiques, the kardashians are terrible. However, nothing, and I MEAN NOTHING, can compete with Dance Moms. For those uninitiated it is about this fat ugly troll of a women who yells and psychologically abues 5-9 year old girls in a dance class while the fame-hungry mothers are both appalled but complacent in allowing this bullying to occur. It is literally just mindless confrontation for no reason.
The show with so much projecting they could title it picture-in-picture :D

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
HostileParadox said:
I like Pawn Stars because I like learning about the history of the items people bring in.
But yeah, the inter-family drama that they make up gets boring/stupid sometimes.
But at least you learn things on Pawn Stars, the value of historical items, the history of them, etc.
Exactly my thoughts. It's like little history lessons on a wide variety of things. You might learn about Civil War era cannons and lap steel guitars in the same episode. Nice little bite-size factoids that are good for casual history knowledge.

Also, I think Chris is way off base when he says that they swindle people. As a watcher of the show (usually I like to throw it on in the background when writing/reading/surfing the web), I can say that there are several instances of the shop owners paying MORE than the customer asked for because the customer undervalued the cost of their item. They do so because they want to be fair with their prices. They're very transparent about their business practices with the customer, explaining what the retail value is and why they can't pay that amount in order to make a profit.

Even if you don't watch the show, though, the pawn business (and retail in general) is predicated on selling items for more than you paid for them so that the business can actually make money. They aren't forcing these people to sell their items. What they offer is the convenience of dumping something you want to get rid of for quick cash. It's a convenience for the seller of the item and provides the business with a profit potential for taking on the risk of the item not selling. If people were truly invested in an item or needed a bigger pay-off, they should make the effort and spend the time to sell it through collectors' auctions or direct sale to collectors.

In a world where shows like Honey Boo Boo, Rock of Love, and whatever the name of the one is where little girls are forced into pageants by over-bearing parental figures, Pawn Stars doesn't even come close to being the worst. Either in entertainment value or how it can hurt my insides.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
HostileParadox said:
I like Pawn Stars because I like learning about the history of the items people bring in.
But yeah, the inter-family drama that they make up gets boring/stupid sometimes.
The problem with Pawn Stars is that they do not actually bring anything into the store, the people who go on the show are given the items to show to that guy.
That's why he has an "expert" on everything comes in, because they actually own the item.

It is a terrible show.

el_kabong said:
In a world where shows like Honey Boo Boo, Rock of Love, and whatever the name of the one is where little girls are forced into pageants by over-bearing parental figures, Pawn Stars doesn't even come close to being the worst. Either in entertainment value or how it can hurt my insides.
Hey now!
Leave that little girl out of this, Honey Boo Boo IS reality TV and yes it is bad, bad, bad but the little girl enjoys the shows. She wasn't forced into it and she clearly relishes the attention she otherwise would not get.
Her mother is also saving every penny for her kids education, the family enjoy themselves whilst earning buckets of cash for the future. Compared to the Kardashians, those guys deserve a show.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
My answer is: [Gary Oldman voice] "AAAAALL OF THEEEEEEM!!!!"

Seriously, the only "reality" show I enjoy is Top Gear, and that doesn't qualify as part of this genre.

BTW, nice jab at the genre at the end there guys!

May 29, 2011
Pawn stars doesn't deserve to be here, it's not great but there's a lot, LOT worse out there. Seems like a pretty weird fucking decision.

Every criticism on it seemed like exaggerated bullshit, we're talking about reality TV, you shouldn't need to exaggerate or make things up to find something bad.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
you know what? let's really talk terrible reality tv, fuck Pawn Stars, the horrible pun is boring but it's at least worth learning the history for, even if every one of the family makes me wish it was legal to just punch a person in the face if you were frustrated with them. But let's ignore that, you want something to REALLY stand toe to toe to "Keeping up with the Kardashians"? let's try Millionaire Matchmaker. Yes, I went there.

Here's the setup, this woman is a 3rd-6th something generation matchmaker, which seems to make her think she's the ultimate source of knowledge on romance and love, and also seems to make her think sexism is ok if women are on top. Yes, I went there. I've seen more episodes of this show than I care to admit and every episode is essentially the same:

1. Find women looking for men
2. Find men who make millions of dollars a year that are looking for women
3. Ask the men what they're looking for and berate them for their choices
4. Ask all the women what they want and promote every negative stereotype they could possibly have about men and make objectifying jokes about men with them like it's nothing.
5. "Mixer" to introduce them.
6. ?????
7. profit.

seriously, she asks men what they want in a woman, and then accuses them of sexism for not saying "I want to find a woman to marry, the end." if they talk about wanting a girl younger than they are, they're horrible pigs, if they want a blonde? what the fuck is wrong with brunettes? if they want a black girl and they're not black? why the racism? it's baffling . . . especially when the girls say they don't want an old man and she agrees that old guys are gross and no one wants that . . . great job reinforcing incredibly negative stereotypes about modern feminism! I'm sure our future generations won't suffer if we all adopt the view that men are evil for being born with a penis!

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I did like the 100% unscripted spit-take section. Very well done. ;)

But seriously, if you want reality shows to go away, fucking stop talking about them. Inevitably someone who watched this episode will have that "well how bad could they be?" reaction and actually go watch those shows...which keeps them on the air longer, which defeats the conclusion of this episode that reality shows need to die.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I can't watch the video because I'm at work, but do they mean worst as in dumbest, least entertaining, or most morally repugnant?

I'd say the one that is the absolute worst ever would have to be "My Super Sweet 16". Someone described it as an "Al-Qaeda recruiting tool", and I have to agree. If I grew up in a poverty-stricken country, was shown that TV show and told "this is what all Americans are like", I'd probably want to murder them too.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Honestly I can't care to watch Duck Dynasty or any of the shows like. I can't stand to watch backwood redneck hillbilly people who get thrust into the limelight because there's something about them that's different from the guy who three teeth in his head and sounds like he's never read any books past Dr. Seuss in his life(usually that they're not fucking their sister on camera) but we're supposed to think that it's nice that they're still quaint even though all of them are loaded more than most any other people (especially ones in their situation) ever will be and how we're supposed to care that the evils of the yankee world are sneaking in and making their children into yuppies who don't know what hard labor is. I'm sure its just absolutely awful having so much disposable income that you could buy anything you need or just pay someone to do whatever you're doing, yeah, you're really doing it down to earth and old fashioned there. And fuck the patriarch (not the one that runs teh company, the old one that voiced his opinion on gay people and said it was akin to bestiality) to, not because of his opinion, because it's his and it doesn't stop anyone from enjoying their freedom, but that he's some great victim and that that had to be a huge fucking controversy. seriously, just send them all out drunk and stupid in the night wasted beyond all believe with guns and no orange vests and let the problem sort itself out.

... anyway, now that I got my seethe out of the way. The focus on the family has made Pawn Stars not as entertaining to watch to me, but then again I always liked seeing the cool stuff that came in. Though I don't know how many people come in their "broken and wanting to feed their families." You wanna watch broken people feed their families you should watch Hardcore Pawn. Hell, as a business minded person, they don't even rip them off and I've seen instances on the show where Rick literally says "no, it's worth more, I'll give you ____" instead and its more than what he person who came in wanted (usually but a decent amount too). Besides, Most of the "experts" are the same five or six guys/girls that you would know as a pawn broker who want's their stuff authenticated (at least if you care if you sell authentic) and they usually has a pretty widespanding category.

besides, I've seen the dumbasses that walk into the Gold and Silver and expect tens of thousands of dollars for crap or that are trying to sell either at a profit to them or at even because they don't understand something called running a business. and I have no sympathy for any of them because they want to be on TV and have their moment of fame.

EDIT: besides, the worst reality shows are the ones like jersey shore and whatever the one on CMT is about going wild and is the "country boy" equivalent. Fuck watching dumb twenty to thirty somethings make complete and total assholes out of themselves and fueling a swag mentality.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Is there such thing as a good reality TV show?
Also my intial reaction when I first heard of "Keeping up with the Kardashians" was "Who the fuck are the Kardashians? How the hell did they get their own show? And more importantly why the fuck should I care?"

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
You guys just proves how easy it is to emulate the look-and-feel of a reality TV show.
This is why they must stop.